Praying pilot crashes plane

Har

Praying pilot crashes plane

Post by Har » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 am

Jailed for 10 years, the Muslim pilot who paused to pray before taking emergency action in plane crash that killed 16

A Muslim pilot and co-pilot who paused to pray before taking emergency measures as they ditched a passenger plane in the sea, killing 16 people, has been sentenced to 10 years in jail.

Pilot Chafik Gharby and co-pilot Ali Kebaier were convicted of taking inadequate emergency measures by an Italian court.

The 2005 crash at sea off Sicily left survivors swimming for their lives, some clinging to a piece of the fuselage that remained floating after the ATR turbo-prop aircraft splintered upon impac

There were 34 holidaymakers and five crew on board the plane when it went down.

A fuel-gauge malfunction was partly to blame, with technicians putting the wrong type of gauge on the plane before it took off.

It meant the pilot and crew believed they had more fuel than they actually did. The plane's engines cut out simultaneously when the fuel ran out.

However prosecutors also said the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures.

They claimed he then opted to crash-land the plane instead trying to reach a nearby airport.

'This was an unprecedented sentence but we have always maintained that it was an unprecedented incident,' observed Niky Persico, a lawyer for one of the victims.

'Never before in the history of aviation disasters has there been such a chain of events and counter events,' he added.

Another five employees of Tuninter, a subsidiary of Tunisair, were sentenced to between eight and nine years in jail by the court, in a verdict handed down yesterday.

The seven accused, who were not in court, will not spend time in jail until the appeals process has been exhausted.
Oi.... :nono:
I don't know whether to cry or laugh about this. :think:

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Re: Praying pilot crashes plane

Post by leo-rcc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 am

I'd go with cry.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 am

Har wrote:
Jailed for 10 years, the Muslim pilot who paused to pray before taking emergency action in plane crash that killed 16

A Muslim pilot and co-pilot who paused to pray before taking emergency measures as they ditched a passenger plane in the sea, killing 16 people, has been sentenced to 10 years in jail.

Pilot Chafik Gharby and co-pilot Ali Kebaier were convicted of taking inadequate emergency measures by an Italian court.

The 2005 crash at sea off Sicily left survivors swimming for their lives, some clinging to a piece of the fuselage that remained floating after the ATR turbo-prop aircraft splintered upon impac

There were 34 holidaymakers and five crew on board the plane when it went down.

A fuel-gauge malfunction was partly to blame, with technicians putting the wrong type of gauge on the plane before it took off.

It meant the pilot and crew believed they had more fuel than they actually did. The plane's engines cut out simultaneously when the fuel ran out.

However prosecutors also said the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures.

They claimed he then opted to crash-land the plane instead trying to reach a nearby airport.

'This was an unprecedented sentence but we have always maintained that it was an unprecedented incident,' observed Niky Persico, a lawyer for one of the victims.

'Never before in the history of aviation disasters has there been such a chain of events and counter events,' he added.

Another five employees of Tuninter, a subsidiary of Tunisair, were sentenced to between eight and nine years in jail by the court, in a verdict handed down yesterday.

The seven accused, who were not in court, will not spend time in jail until the appeals process has been exhausted.
Oi.... :nono:
Ack! Praying isn't just useless, it's downright dangerous and fatal! :lay:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:08 pm

The pilot obviously wasn't devout enough. Perhaps he didn't beat his wife when she refused him sex. Or maybe he secretly nibbled on pork scratchings. I'm sure allah would have flown the plane for him otherwise. :roll:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:The pilot obviously wasn't devout enough. Perhaps he didn't beat his wife when she refused him sex. Or maybe he secretly nibbled on pork scratchings. I'm sure allah would have flown the plane for him otherwise. :roll:
I suspect he was a closet apostate.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

FedUpWithFaith

Post by FedUpWithFaith » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Har wrote:Oi.... :nono:
Since I don't know any of the victims or care about them, I'm laughing.

They probably shared the same bullshit religion so let them share the consequences.

Ace
The Aviator
About me: Blasphemous, Mutinous, Renegade.
In short...a bit of a rebel.

Post by Ace » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:23 pm

It's not just about keeping religion seperate from state now. It's also about keeping religion seperate from Aviation! :lay:
Those who fly must take on full responsibility of their actions and not let gawd do it! How the hell did they get their licence? :think:
Theist flying school? :dono:

Stall training(theist style) - To come out of stall, you must lower your head and pray to gawd!
Take off and landing training - To take off, pray to gawd and ask if he can fart so that you would become airborn. When landing let go of controls lower your head, take off your seatbelt, break countless safety regulations that would NORMALLY have you lose your fucking licence and which would normally risk everyone on board! And pray in hope that gawd can land the airplane for you because your a lazy twat!

:levi:

I rest my case.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

What can't be tested, can't be used.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:08 pm

leo-rcc wrote:I'd go with cry.
I'd go with craugh.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Animavore wrote:
leo-rcc wrote:I'd go with cry.
I'd go with craugh.
"Roll on, hysterical laughter." :hilarious:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

eXcommunicate
Mr Handsome Sr.

Post by eXcommunicate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:43 pm

I wonder why the other crew members, who I assume were not pilots, were also sentenced to years in jail. What were they charged with?
Michael Hafer
You know, when I read that I wanted to muff-punch you with my typewriter.
One girl; two cocks. Ultimate showdown.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 pm

eXcommunicate wrote:I wonder why the other crew members, who I assume were not pilots, were also sentenced to years in jail. What were they charged with?
Look again:
Where did it say "other crew members"? As to who else might have been gaoled, here's a hint:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Gosh, you guys. Think how much worse the crash would have been if the pilot didn't pray. Honestly, you're not thinking logically at all :coffee:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

maiforpeace

Post by maiforpeace » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 am

tattuchu wrote:Gosh, you guys. Think how much worse the crash would have been if the pilot didn't pray. Honestly, you're not thinking logically at all :coffee:
Indeed, some of the crew did survive. :P
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Har

Post by Har » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:14 am

And the praying pilot survived. Thus God exists. QED. ;) :tup:

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 am

tattuchu wrote:Gosh, you guys. Think how much worse the crash would have been if the pilot didn't pray. Honestly, you're not thinking logically at all :coffee:
Jeez, you're right. I'm going to log off now and repent for my sins.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.