Land of 10,000 Princes

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Land of 10,000 Princes

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:59 am

Hat tip to Harry Shearer for the thread title. AKA the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Government-sanctioned gangland style murder? Repugnant and egregious violations of human rights? Corruption as the national standard mode of operation? Not really a problem; your money, petroleum reserves, and connections outweigh all of the above.

In this particular instance, after making stout declarations about and denunciations of the Saudi-backed LIV golf tour, the PGA is going to bend over and merge.

'PGA Tour, LIV Golf, DP World Tour announce merger in stunning move "to unify the game of golf"'
In a shocking and historic move, the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund have agreed to a merger that will see the PIF's golf-related business (LIV Golf) combine with the other tours in what is being described as "a new, collectively owned, for-profit entity to ensure that all stakeholders benefit from a model that delivers maximum excitement and competition among the game's best players."

A Board of Directors will be appointed to manage the commercial golf business with the PGA Tour appointing a majority of the members and holding a majority voting interest. The new, unnamed business "will work to ensure a cohesive schedule of events that will be exciting for fans, sponsors and all stakeholders," according to the press release announcing the deal.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Land of 10,000 Princes

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:49 am

That happened quick.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:57 am

Money talks, bullshit lies back, closes its eyes and thinks of the villa in Beaulieu-sur-Mer.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:07 am

Golf - bah humbug! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:27 am

They did it for the game man, for the game.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:44 am

"Golf was the winner today."
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:54 am

:lol:

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:07 pm

The Saudis have always been shits, but in the last couple of years, even though they've been making progress on social issues, it seems like they're copping more flak than ever. I wonder what could have happ... oh.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-arab ... 1654517783
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:02 am

This is an advert/PR...
Neom – Saudi’s Expat Capital of the Future?

In the first quarter of 2019, Saudi Arabia's new mega-city named Neom, or "The Red Sea Project", commenced construction. The vision of Saudi's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, this new centre of commerce and high-end tourism covers over 10, 000 square miles. With the aim to establish Neom as a hotspot for business, expats and tourists from across the globe, what will this mean for those wishing to travel there?

reserves to flourish economically. With these resources beginning to deplete, the Crown Prince is looking to protect Neom and his vision for the region’s future from the economic fluctuations that Saudi has seen in recent years.

striking comments made about Neom is that there will “be more robots than people”. This gives an indication of how much technological integration will be at the core of every decision when building and developing life in Neom. Everything will be centred around communication, through what has been dubbed “the internet of things”. Therefore, these innovative systems will likely see the new 5G network being the standard in the region. There’s a real sense that “next generation technology” will soon come streaming from this hotbed of new thinking...

https://blog.vitalconsular.com/neom-sau ... at-capital
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:12 am

Is that the line city (that stretches for hundreds of kilometres). That's one fucking dumb idea.