Chronicles of a Stillborn Zombie Coup

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Chronicles of a Stillborn Zombie Coup

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:03 pm

:whistle:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat May 07, 2022 5:21 am

Joe wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:38 pm
Tucker Carlson and Ted Cruz are pushing this story, eh?

How new Jan. 6 revelations on Ray Epps, others undercut Tucker Carlson’s FBI conspiracy theory
IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
There remains no evidence to support the conspiracy theory, promoted most prominently by Fox News host Tucker Carlson, that the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol was actually a false flag event orchestrated by the FBI to entrap Trump supporters.

Ray Epps, an Arizona man who Carlson and other figures have held up as a possible undercover FBI agent or informant, said he has no ties to the FBI in an interview with the House committee investigating the attack, the committee revealed.

Rally Runner, another man singled out on Carlson’s show, said on video that Carlson’s segment suggesting he was a federal agent was a “false story.”

The Justice Department hit Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes with sedition charges on Jan. 13. Until then, Rhodes was listed as “Person One” in charging documents, helping to fuel unsubstantiated claims from Carlson and others that the presence of such unnamed, unindicted co-conspirators in those documents was proof of an FBI false flag.
Drat those nasty fact checkers! :lay:

Well of course Epps would say that. He's a Deep State operative, what did anybody expect him to say? It gets worse though; apparently the Deep State had other plants in the crowd, including the insurrectionist who attacked police after Epps spoke with him. He says that Epps told him to relax, rather than encouraging him to attack. Obviously a lie.

'One of the ugliest right-wing lies about Jan. 6 is imploding'
Of all the lies that the right has pushed about the insurrection attempt, one of the ugliest is that it was a false-flag operation designed to victimize virtuous Donald Trump supporters. Central to this is Ray Epps, a man widely depicted as an FBI informant who deviously manipulated Trump supporters into storming the Capitol.

Now the New York Times has obtained new evidence debunking this claim. This undercuts a key right-wing propaganda trope about the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the Capitol that the right has pushed for nearly a year.

It concerns video that shows Epps at the Jan. 6 barricades whispering in the ear of a Pennsylvania man, who then confronts police. This has been held up by Republicans as more evidence of false-flag incitement by Epps, a small-business owner from Arizona.

But it turns out that the Pennsylvania man actually informed FBI investigators that Epps told him to “relax,” not to attack, according to audio the Times obtained. And Epps himself separately told the FBI the same thing, the Times reports, once again undermining the conspiracy theory.

It’s important to stress that Republicans and right-wing media have constructed a whole superstructure of other wild allegations on top of this Epps tale.

These include claims that the Jan. 6 House committee is covering up important evidence of Epps’s role. That the FBI itself has suppressed this evidence. That the Justice Department is withholding such evidence from Congress. And that the Jan. 6 mob might have been seeded with many more FBI false-flag operators.

You cannot overstate how central this bundle of charges has been to the project of muddying up the truth: that Trump supporters tried to thwart the transfer of power through mob violence, after being incited by Trump, amid his effort to accomplish the same through appalling procedural corruption and possibly even crimes.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon May 09, 2022 4:57 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:21 am
Joe wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:38 pm
Tucker Carlson and Ted Cruz are pushing this story, eh?

How new Jan. 6 revelations on Ray Epps, others undercut Tucker Carlson’s FBI conspiracy theory
IF YOUR TIME IS SHORT
There remains no evidence to support the conspiracy theory, promoted most prominently by Fox News host Tucker Carlson, that the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol was actually a false flag event orchestrated by the FBI to entrap Trump supporters.

Ray Epps, an Arizona man who Carlson and other figures have held up as a possible undercover FBI agent or informant, said he has no ties to the FBI in an interview with the House committee investigating the attack, the committee revealed.

Rally Runner, another man singled out on Carlson’s show, said on video that Carlson’s segment suggesting he was a federal agent was a “false story.”

The Justice Department hit Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes with sedition charges on Jan. 13. Until then, Rhodes was listed as “Person One” in charging documents, helping to fuel unsubstantiated claims from Carlson and others that the presence of such unnamed, unindicted co-conspirators in those documents was proof of an FBI false flag.
Drat those nasty fact checkers! :lay:

Well of course Epps would say that. He's a Deep State operative, what did anybody expect him to say? It gets worse though; apparently the Deep State had other plants in the crowd, including the insurrectionist who attacked police after Epps spoke with him. He says that Epps told him to relax, rather than encouraging him to attack. Obviously a lie.

'One of the ugliest right-wing lies about Jan. 6 is imploding'
Of all the lies that the right has pushed about the insurrection attempt, one of the ugliest is that it was a false-flag operation designed to victimize virtuous Donald Trump supporters. Central to this is Ray Epps, a man widely depicted as an FBI informant who deviously manipulated Trump supporters into storming the Capitol.

Now the New York Times has obtained new evidence debunking this claim. This undercuts a key right-wing propaganda trope about the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the Capitol that the right has pushed for nearly a year.

It concerns video that shows Epps at the Jan. 6 barricades whispering in the ear of a Pennsylvania man, who then confronts police. This has been held up by Republicans as more evidence of false-flag incitement by Epps, a small-business owner from Arizona.

But it turns out that the Pennsylvania man actually informed FBI investigators that Epps told him to “relax,” not to attack, according to audio the Times obtained. And Epps himself separately told the FBI the same thing, the Times reports, once again undermining the conspiracy theory.

It’s important to stress that Republicans and right-wing media have constructed a whole superstructure of other wild allegations on top of this Epps tale.

These include claims that the Jan. 6 House committee is covering up important evidence of Epps’s role. That the FBI itself has suppressed this evidence. That the Justice Department is withholding such evidence from Congress. And that the Jan. 6 mob might have been seeded with many more FBI false-flag operators.

You cannot overstate how central this bundle of charges has been to the project of muddying up the truth: that Trump supporters tried to thwart the transfer of power through mob violence, after being incited by Trump, amid his effort to accomplish the same through appalling procedural corruption and possibly even crimes.
Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound! When they're claiming the election was stolen after they tried to steal it, I can't see any bottom to how low these people will go.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:44 am

'Seditious conspiracy and other offenses ...'

Because there had been no specific mention of them in the news reports in the immediate aftermath of the MAGA sacking of the Capitol, I speculated that the Proud Boys had continued to 'stand back and stand by.' I lost the bet, and should have known better. That absurdly vicious dumpster fire was the perfect venue for their brand of militant stupidity.

'Leader of Proud Boys and Four Other Members Indicted in Federal Court For Seditious Conspiracy and Other Offenses Related to U.S. Capitol Breach'
A federal grand jury in the District of Columbia returned a superseding indictment today charging five members of the Proud Boys, including the group’s former national chairman, with seditious conspiracy and other charges for their actions before and during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Their actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election.

The defendants include Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, 38, of Miami, Florida, the former national chairman of the Proud Boys; Ethan Nordean, 31, of Auburn, Washington; Joseph Biggs, 38, of Ormond Beach, Florida; Zachary Rehl, 37, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Dominic Pezzola, 44, of Rochester, New York. All previously were indicted and remain detained. They pleaded not guilty to charges contained in earlier indictments.

The superseding indictment adds two charges to the earlier indictment: one count of seditious conspiracy and one count of conspiracy to prevent an officer from discharging any duties. All defendants now face a total of nine charges and Pezzola faces an additional robbery charge. The defendants are scheduled to appear for a hearing on June 9, 2022, in the District of Columbia.

According to court documents, the Proud Boys describe themselves as members of a “pro-Western fraternal organization for men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world, aka Western Chauvinists.” Through at least Jan. 6, 2021, Tarrio was the national chairman of the organization. In mid-December of 2020, Tarrio created a special chapter of the Proud Boys known as the “Ministry of Self Defense.” As alleged in the indictment, from in or around December 2020, Tarrio and his co-defendants, all of whom were leaders or members of the Ministry of Self Defense, conspired to prevent, hinder and delay the certification of the Electoral College vote, and to oppose by force the authority of the government of the United States. On Jan. 6, 2021, the defendants directed, mobilized and led members of the crowd onto the Capitol grounds and into the Capitol, leading to dismantling of metal barricades, destruction of property, breaching of the Capitol building, and assaults on law enforcement. During and after the attack, Tarrio and his co-defendants claimed credit for what had happened on social media and in an encrypted chat room.

A sixth defendant, who was earlier charged with the group, pleaded guilty on April 8, 2022. Charles Donohoe, 34, of Kernersville, North Carolina, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding and assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers.
The defenders of Western Civilization ...

'Veterans Make Up Most of Proud Boys Members Indicted on Sedition for Jan. 6 Violence'
Nearly all of the five members of the Proud Boys extremist group who were indicted by federal authorities this week for seditious conspiracy related to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol are veterans, according to court documents and the military services.

The indicted men include an Army combat veteran with a Purple Heart, two Marines who served in the infantry and logistics, and a sailor recruit who washed out in boot camp. The only non-veteran of the group was Enrique Tarrio, the former chairman of the Proud Boys, a far-right group that formed in 2016 and played a key role in the violence in Washington last year.

The charges released Monday allege that the four men were the vanguard among hundreds of pro-Trump rioters gathered to disrupt Congress from certifying the presidential election that day. They were the first to push past police barricades and the first to break windows in the Capitol as part of a seven-hour riot that left 114 police officers injured and caused $1.5 million in damages, according to the indictment and a government watchdog report.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:15 am

...men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world. :oops:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:05 am

Where would fascists be without braggadocio, though. It comes with the territory.

The Chairman of the Jan. 6 Committee played a video of former US Attorney General Barr stating plainly that Trump's 'Stolen Election!!' claims were and remain 'bullshit.' Barr will skilfully lie, will pull levers of power to favor his political compadres, and subvert justice, but it seems he draws the line at supporting the subversion of democracy through a blatantly bogus narrative.

'Bill Barr On Trump's Election Fraud Lies: "It Was All Bulls**t"'
In an interview published Sunday, former Attorney General William Barr bashed former President Donald Trump’s efforts to spread misinformation about the 2020 election, calling Trump’s lies about voter fraud “bullshit.”

Barr, speaking to ABC News’ Jonathan Karl for The Atlantic, opened up about his final few months working under Trump, when the president pushed the Justice Department to investigate baseless allegations of election fraud in an attempt to overturn Joe Biden’s legitimate victory.

Barr said he gave DOJ the green light to investigate “substantial allegations” of voter irregularities a week after the election, and also began his own unofficial inquiry into Trump’s claims. But he found the allegations being peddled by Trump and his allies to be unfounded, he told Karl.

“My attitude was: It was put-up or shut-up time,” Barr said. “If there was evidence of fraud, I had no motive to suppress it. But my suspicion all the way along was that there was nothing there. It was all bullshit.”

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:48 am

Married to a US Supreme Court Justice, actively tried to subvert democracy. The Grand Guignol/circus that is modern US political life continues to delight those with a taste for the darkly absurd.

'Ginni Thomas asked 29 Arizona state legislators to overturn Biden’s victory in the state, report says'
Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the wife of Supreme Court Associate Justice Clarence Thomas, pushed 29 state legislators in Arizona to push aside Joe Biden’s win in the state and instead “choose” their own electors, The Washington Post reported.

The alleged Ms Thomas emailed 27 more state legislators than the Post initially reported last month. Ms Thomas, herself a prominent conservative activist, sent the messages using FreeRoots, an online platform that allows people to send pre-written emails to multiple elected officials.

Ms Thomas reportedly sent emails to 20 Republicans in Arizona’s House and seven in its Senate. The message urged legislators to “stand strong in the face of political and media pressure” and that they had the “power to fight back against fraud.”

The email said that the legislators could “ensure that a clean slate of Electors is chosen.”

“Before you choose your state’s Electors … consider what will happen to the nation we all love if you don’t stand up and lead”, she said. The email then links to a man who told lawmakers to “put things right” and “not give in to cowardice.”

The newly revealed emails from Ms Thomas are the latest in a slew of revelations that show the extent to which the wife of the longest-serving Supreme Court Justice tried to overturn the 2020 presidential election results. Earlier this year, CBS News and the Post reported that she pressured White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows to undertake efforts to overturn the election results.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:33 am

I surmise that stories like this will become more common toward the end of this year.

'GOP commission refuses to certify New Mexico primary vote'
New Mexico’s secretary of state on Tuesday asked the state Supreme Court to order the Republican-led commission of rural Otero County to certify primary election results after it refused to do so over distrust of Dominion vote-tallying machines.

Democratic Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Olive’s request came a day after the three-member Otero County commission, in its role as a county canvassing board, voted unanimously against certifying the results of the June 7 primary without raising specific concerns about discrepancies.

The commission’s members include Cowboys for Trump co-founder Couy Griffin, who ascribes to unsubstantiated claims that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election. Griffin was convicted of illegally entering restricted U.S. Capitol grounds — though not the building — amid the riots on Jan. 6, 2021, and is scheduled for sentencing later this month. He acknowledged that the standoff over this primary could delay the outcome of local election races.

“I have huge concerns with these voting machines,” Otero County Commissioner Vickie Marquardt said Monday. “When I certify stuff that I don’t know is right, I feel like I’m being dishonest because in my heart I don’t know if it is right.”

The Otero County commission voted last week to recount ballots from the statewide primary election by hand, remove state-mandated ballot drop boxes that facilitate absentee voting and discontinue the use of Dominion vote tabulation machines in the general election.

On Monday, Holmes said those instructions from the county commissions conflict with state and federal election law, and that she would only recount the election by hand under a court order.

“The election law does not allow me to hand tally these ballots or to even form a board to do it. I just can’t,” said Holmes, a Republican. “And I’m going to follow the law.”

Holmes noted that the state-owned vote tabulation machines from Dominion are tested by Otero County officials in public view and that the machines also are independently certified in advance. Griffin said he and fellow commissioners don’t see the process as trustworthy.

“That’s a source that we don’t have any control or influence over,” he said.

Though Trump won nearly 62% of the vote in Otero County in 2020, county commissioners have said they are not satisfied with results of the state’s audit of the vote count nor assurances by their Republican county clerk that elections this year will be accurate.
Until MAGA get to 'influence' testing of voting equipment, that equipment can't be trusted. Then it's time for the state legislature to step in and settle things--the vote as tabulated is worthless.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 am

The threat of Deep State jackboots got the Otrero County Commission to knuckle under. Sad.

Meanwhile, the case of Rusty Bowers. A star witness of the US January 6th committee, the staunch Republican Bowers testified to holding his ground, refusing to be party to overturning the election. He also testified to how he and his family suffered from the attentions of rabid Trumpists as a result.

After his testimony Bowers signified just how much impact that attempt to subvert democracy in the US will have on his future voting decisions. The choice is clear, really. On one hand you have the horrible socialist that everybody knows is non compos mentis. On the other, a fledgling autocrat whose undoubted contempt for democracy does not outweigh Making America Great Again.
'So good for the country.' :fp:

'Of Course Rusty Bowers Would Vote for Trump Again'
In an effort to unsettle the GOP’s apparently unflappable loyalty to Donald Trump, the January 6 committee has spotlighted a slew of Republican witnesses, many of them self-professed Trump voters, who stood up to the former president as he and his aides attempted to overturn the election.

The problem, though, is that many of those very witnesses seem unwilling to quit Trump themselves.

Take, for example, Rusty Bowers, the speaker for the Arizona House of Representatives. In the months following the 2020 election, Bowers steadfastly refused to go along with Trump’s diktats to toss out the vote in Arizona on the basis of nonexistent evidence of fraud. During yesterday’s hearing, he was one of the committee’s marquee witnesses, grimly describing the smears and harassment he experienced after refusing to violate the constitution at Trump’s behest.

“I do not want to be a winner by cheating,” Bowers said. “I will not play with laws I swore allegiance to.”

Nevertheless, Bowers told the Associated Press on Monday, he’d still vote for Trump in the 2024 presidential election if he were once again the GOP standard-bearer.

“If (Trump) is the nominee, if he was up against Biden, I’d vote for him again,” Bowers said. “Simply because what he did the first time, before COVID, was so good for the county. In my view it was great.”

By affirming that he’d still support Trump over Biden, Bowers joined the likes of former Attorney General Bill Barr and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, both of whom have repeatedly condemned Trump’s election lies and coup attempt—only to state that they’d still support him in a general election.

Bowers may have upheld his oath after the 2020 election. He may have agreed to testify live before the January 6 committee. But if people like him maintain their willingness to back Trump in the face of clear and convincing evidence that he poses an unprecedented threat to democracy, they’re just increasing the likelihood that the coup attempt that horrified them in 2020 will be repeated, with more success, in the near future.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:10 am

While the usual conduit is enjoying an engagement elsewhere, helping out with some selections from Wingnut World.

'Fact Check: Did an "Inside Man" Open Capitol Doors for Rioters on January 6?'
Disinformation surrounding the 2021 Capitol insurrection has resurfaced in recent days following hearings of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol. One viral claim suggests that the Capitol’s rotunda doors had to be opened by someone “on the inside,” as strict security measures (and apparently the weight of the doors) prevented them from being opened any other way.

This claim originated with a lawyer for members of the Oath Keepers, a far-right militia whose members have been charged with various crimes associated with the attack on the Capitol. The claim received coverage from The Epoch Times, a website with a history of spreading misinformation. The attorney, Jonathon Moseley, who has since been disbarred, claimed that the doors weighed 20,000 pounds and were locked magnetically. The conspiracy theory was further spread by The Gateway Pundit, another common source for fake news, conspiracy theories, and unsubstantiated information. Gateway Pundit cites a “​​US Marine veteran who worked overseas at a US Embassy,” who is now a member of the Oath Keepers, and claims to have been present at the Capitol attack. The individual claimed that the doors themselves were “electronically controlled [and] magnetically locked” from the inside and outside, requiring an insider’s special code to unlock them.

Interior surveillance camera footage of the Columbus Doors during the breach, released by the Department of Justice earlier this year, shows a rioter who had already entered the Capitol from a breached window on the building’s west side pushing open the interior doors with little resistance, stopping only to receive instructions from fellow rioters on the floor above him. The heavier bronze doors are already visibly open, with rioters packing the space between the two sets of doors. Video included in the Epoch Times article also shows the bronze doors open, with Capitol Police guarding the doors behind them before the rioters attacked them.

No evidence exists to support the claim that an electronic mechanism locks the doors from the inside. For one, the heavy damage sustained by the interior rotunda doors does not indicate that the doors were willingly unlocked to permit the rioters’ entry. And while the Capitol Police declined to comment to The Dispatch Fact Check on security measures at the U.S. Capitol, other sources have suggested that the doors could not have been locked from the inside because of fire evacuation and safety rules. Illinois Republican Rep. Adam Kinzinger stated as much in a February 13 Twitter post pushing back on claims of an “inside job,” and in a phone call with The Dispatch Fact Check, Laura Trivers, a communications specialist at the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, also believed that the interior door could be easily pushed open in the event of an emergency: “If there was a fire, I would be going out that door.”
Rotten, dastardly fact checkers. The most disgusting sort of people. :hehe:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 am

I'll wait for Project Veritas to do some good, honest investigative reporting about the claims before I make up my mind about that one.
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:13 am

From the festering cigar-hole one of Trump's intermittent consiglieri, speaking before the 2020 election: '... if Trump is losing by 10 or 11 o'clock at night it's going to be even crazier. No, because he's going to sit right there and say, "They stole it."'

'Leaked Audio: Before Election Day, Bannon Said Trump Planned to Falsely Claim Victory'
On the evening of October 31, 2020, Steve Bannon told a group of associates that President Donald Trump had a plan to declare victory on election night—even if he was losing. Trump knew that the slow counting of Democratic-leaning mail-in ballots meant the returns would show early leads for him in key states. His “strategy” was to use this fact to assert that he had won, while claiming that the inevitable shifts in vote totals toward Joe Biden must be the result of fraud, Bannon explained.

“What Trump’s gonna do, is just declare victory. Right? He’s gonna declare victory. But that doesn’t mean he’s a winner,” Bannon, laughing, told the group, according to audio of the meeting obtained by Mother Jones. “He’s just gonna say he’s a winner.”
The January 6th Committee is still rolling out a comprehensive indictment of Trump & Co. If this thread were a proper chronicle of the stillborn zombie coup it would note the gist of every one of the hearings. A lot of what they are showing was known or inferred by those who were paying attention at the time and over the past 18 months, but there has been some incriminating testimony presented. Not that the extremely circumspect US Attorney General will necessarily respond with anything but silence. He might have made a passable/good Supreme Court justice and still may prove to be effective in his current position, but nobody is banking on that.

Today had a couple of turncoat Trumpists describing their former preoccupation and how it motivated them. Also video testimony from former presidential lawyer Cipollone.

Evidence was produced showing that the march on the US Capitol was planned by Trump and others, not something blurted out in the heat of the moment.
The committee unveiled evidence Tuesday showing how Trump's call for his supporters to march to the Capitol on January 6 had been planned in advance.

The committee showed a draft tweet -- which Trump did not send -- calling for marching to the Capitol. "I will be making a Big Speech at 10AM on January 6th at the Ellipse (South of the White House). Please arrive early, massive crowds expected. March to the Capitol after. Stop the Steal!!" the draft tweet says. The tweet, which the committee obtained from the National Archives, includes a stamp saying "President has seen."

In addition, the committee showed a text message it obtained from rally organizer Kylie Jane Kremer to right-wing businessman Mike Lindell that said the President would "unexpectedly" tell his supporters to march to another stage outside the Supreme Court building, which is behind the Capitol.

"It can also not get out about the march because I will be in trouble with the national park service and all the agencies but POTUS is going to just call for it 'unexpectedly,'" Kremer wrote.

Katrina Pierson, who also helped organize the rally, wrote in an email to her fellow organizers on January 2: "POTUS expectations are to have something intimate at the ellipse and call on everyone to march to the capitol."

Alexander, another organizer, sent a text message on January 5, 2021, that was obtained by the committee: "Tomorrow: Ellipse then US capitol. Trump is supposed to order us to capitol at the end of his speech but we will see."
In a previous episode it was shown that Trump was aware that some participants at the rally were armed with items that would be confiscated if they were to join the crowd inside the metal detectors. He was displeased that they were being prevented from joining: 'They're not here to hurt me.'

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:23 am

The right-wing zealots on the US Supreme Court bench will likely make their contribution next year.

'The Most Important SCOTUS Case No One's Talking About'
We need to talk about Moore v. Harper.

The right-wing rogues in the Supreme Court have agreed to hear a case that very well might put a judicial capstone on the GOP’s ongoing coup attempt, which could be the death knell for our democracy.

The nation is still reeling from the blitzkrieg unleashed by an extreme Supreme Court that used its last term to bulldoze a woman’s right to abortion, neutered the EPA’s ability to regulate greenhouse emissions, limited states’ rights to regulate guns, eroded the separation of church and state, and weakened civil rights by ruling law enforcement can’t be sued for failing to read a person their Miranda rights.

But the Supreme Court isn’t done trying to implement minority rule and advance its Christian nationalist agenda. They have agreed to hear Moore v. Harper, the most consequential case to our nation’s democracy that most Americans still aren’t talking about.

In Moore, North Carolina’s Republican House speaker wants to restore heavily gerrymandered congressional maps drawn by GOP elected officials that were rejected by the North Carolina Supreme Court. The court ordered them redrawn because they gave the GOP an “extreme partisan advantage” that violated the state constitution. In response, Republicans are invoking the “independent state legislature doctrine” which advances “the idea that, under the Constitution, only the legislature has the power to regulate federal elections, without interference from state courts,” as Amy Howe put it in SCOTUSblog.

If the court buys this nonsense theory, then the Republican-controlled state legislatures would be immune from any interference from state courts, governors, and elected officials who step up to protect voting rights and fight back against “constitutional mischief.” Republicans are arguing the Constitution allows state legislatures to completely ignore state Supreme Court decisions when passing laws related to federal elections, and this opens the door for the Supreme Court to say they could ignore the governor and act on their own.

To put it plainly, if President Joe Biden wins battleground states again in 2024, the Republican-controlled state legislatures of Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Arizona, and Pennsylvania could simply reject the will of the majority and install their own slate of electors and hand-deliver the presidency to a Republican.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:14 pm

Democracy to Fascism: "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:32 pm

Is the emphasis in this picture the vast number of potential gallows to hang tyrants from?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping