Urea ly are fucked - World economy DOOMED!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Urea ly are fucked - World economy DOOMED!

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:43 am

AdBlue shortage about to hit hard
What is AdBlue?
Technically known as diesel exhaust fluid (DEF), AdBlue is ostensibly an anti-pollutant that's added to most modern diesel engines.

The fluid, a mixture of the organic compound urea and deionised water, is injected from a separate small tank into a vehicle's exhaust system to cut harmful emissions.

Essentially, tiny amounts of AdBlue are squirted on to the exhaust gases, turning the nitrogen oxides into nitrogen and water before they are vented from the vehicle.

For anyone with a diesel car, you might be familiar with the blue cap that sits alongside the cap for the fuel tank.

That's the tank cap for AdBlue, which can be purchased at service stations and auto retailers.

Why is there a shortage?
A supply crunch of another product is causing the AdBlue problems.

Globally, stocks of the key ingredient, urea, are running dangerously low.

China is the world's biggest producer of urea and in recent weeks has been moving to dramatically tighten its grip on supplies to keep a lid on surging prices.

That's hit Australia particularly hard given we source up to 80 per cent of our urea supplies from the Middle Kingdom.

"It's not just Australia that's being impacted by this, you know — the whole world is going to be impacted by the lack of this AdBlue chemical."

When will the supply run out?
While it appears the trucking fleets in Australia and other countries will be able to keep running for the all-important Christmas period, there are fears matters will come to a head early next year.

Some major trucking companies are reportedly set to run out of supplies within weeks, while others have suggested stocks are unlikely to last beyond January.

It's a similar story around the world.

Last month, South Korea resorted to the drastic step of importing 27,000 litres of urea solution from Australia after China cracked down on exports.

In Europe, where a high proportion of private cars are diesel, AdBlue is all but unavailable.

The tight market has sent prices of the additive soaring, with costs at the pump rising by as much as 10 per cent over two days last week.

"I had a member call the other day — they've got 250 prime movers, so they're a big organisation," Mr Clark said.

"A lot of their fuel they buy in bulk — they are basically out of AdBlue next week.

"We believe that there's enough supply of it till about February next year.

"If this is not solved by then, then we have a major problem."

What happens if supplies dry up?
In a worst case scenario, Australia's economy would be brought to its knees.

Diesel trucks and cars that use AdBlue simply will not run without the chemical, according to British insurer AA, and would have to be parked until more supplies were found.

While that might sound like an inconvenience for a householder, it would be calamitous for the broader economy.

Trucks are indispensable to the smooth functioning of the economy and supply every business imaginable.

Most importantly, they supply businesses essential to the lives of almost every Australian, including supermarkets and fuel retailers.

Much of the heavy machinery used by agriculture, such as harvesters and tractors, is also fuelled by diesel.

Without the additive, activity on Australia's farms would also be laid low.

What's more, urea is not only a key ingredient in AdBlue — it's just as important as a feedstock for fertilisers used in agriculture around the world.

The implication for consumers is that even if they can get their hands on many products – and that's a big if – prices for many things are likely to shoot upwards.

Mr Clark says the implications are profound.

"So you're not got anything getting delivered to supermarkets, you've got power not being generated," he said.

"In South Australia, you've got tractors that can't harvest, you've got hospitals that don't have back-up generators, all this sort of thing.

"So it's a major problem if it doesn't get solved."
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Re: Urea ly are fucked - World economy DOOMED!

Post by macdoc » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:18 am

Not
While AdBlue is currently not mandatory, it is becoming increasingly popular with automotive manufacturers and transport businesses seeking ways to reduce their environmental impact.
how's the sky doing there...cluck cluck?? :prof:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 am

Who's taking the piss?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 am

macdoc wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:18 am
Not
While AdBlue is currently not mandatory, it is becoming increasingly popular with automotive manufacturers and transport businesses seeking ways to reduce their environmental impact.
how's the sky doing there...cluck cluck?? :prof:
I created this thread for Crumple. He'll appreciate it. :dq:

Oh and
Some major trucking companies are reportedly set to run out of supplies within weeks, while others have suggested stocks are unlikely to last beyond January.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 am

This thread can just truck off! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:18 pm

https://www.complex.com/life/santa-shor ... id-related

Inspired me to get a shave, after looking in the mirror this morning.
WeAreAStableCountry

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 am

Can't they just piss in the tank?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:50 am

good info here

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/ ... adblue_to/

Bet there is a booming biz in disabling the requirement.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:05 am

laklak wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:31 am
Can't they just piss in the tank?
Yes.

Urea in produced in huge quantities by the fertiliser industry.

:smug: Move on, nothing to see :smug:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4