Critical Race Theory

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by laklak » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 am

I took Morgan's remarks to mean we shouldn't see racism where it doesn't actually exist. Perhaps I'm too nuanced for this world.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:22 am

laklak wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:04 am
I took Morgan's remarks to mean we shouldn't see racism where it doesn't actually exist. Perhaps I'm too nuanced for this world.
There's a piece of nuance stuck on your lip. You should wipe it off before anyone notices.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:40 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 pm
macdoc wrote:
macdoc wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:59 pm
Talk about bigotry all you want ...continuing the myth that there are human races just plays into the agenda and gets tiresome.
Freeman is correct
How does one talk about the bigotry that is racism without acknowledging that some people think race is a real thing?
Same as tooth fairy.

:ask: Hope they grow up? :ask:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Seabass wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:28 pm
The Morgan Freeman theory blames racism on anti-racists instead of racists.
Morgan Freeman does no such thing. Listen to this carefully. His proposed solution to racism is wrong, of course. The list of problems that have been solved by not talking about them is very short indeed. That said, I cannot find a source proving that he blames racism on anti-racists instead of racists.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:13 pm
Seabass wrote:
Morgan Freeman does no such thing. Listen to this carefully. His proposed solution to racism is wrong, of course. The list of problems that have been solved by not talking about them is very short indeed. That said, I cannot find a source proving that he blames racism on anti-racists instead of racists.
He doesn't explicitly say it, but if one believes that racism still exists because people keep talking about it, and that it would go away if people would just stop talking about it, this implies that racism would simply run its course and racists would stop being racist if everyone else would just stop talking about racism. Who else, other than racists, talks about racism? Usually the people who are actively involved in the fight against it.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm
Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
He doesn't explicitly say it, but if one believes that racism still exists because people keep talking about it, and that it would go away if people would just stop talking about it, this implies that racism would simply run its course and racists would stop being racist if everyone else would just stop talking about racism. Who else, other than racists, talks about racism? Usually the people who are actively involved in the fight against it.
That would be the logical destination of his train of thought, but what are the odds he ever travelled on it that far? I think that not only did Freeman not ever explicitly say anything like anti-racists are to blame for racism instead of racists, but the very thought never occurred to him either.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
Seabass wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
That would be the logical destination of his train of thought, but what are the odds he ever travelled on it that far? I think that not only did Freeman not ever explicitly say anything like anti-racists are to blame for racism instead of racists, but the very thought never occurred to him either.
Right, that's why I said "the Morgan Freeman theory" rather than Morgan Freeman. I was just extrapolating his thinking out to its logical end. I suppose I could have been more clear. My bad.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 pm
Hermit wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 pm
Seabass wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Right, that's why I said "the Morgan Freeman theory" rather than Morgan Freeman. I was just extrapolating his thinking out to its logical end. I suppose I could have been more clear. My bad.
No worries. We don't disagree as much as it first appeared. I still would not label the logical consequence of Freeman's proposal as part of his theory. Someone who comes up with the toddler-like idea that racism disappears when one doesn't mention purported racial differences is hardly capable to draw those conclusions. Freeman is a likeable and popular actor, but as a thinker he is a zero.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 am

What smug piece of shite..... you're as bigoted as the worst Florida cracker.. ...... :nono:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:24 am

If you can't contribute something to the debate, fuck off.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 am

macdoc wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 am
What smug piece of shite..... you're as bigoted as the worst Florida cracker.. ...... :nono:
We understand it's a challenging subject for you. It seems silly perhaps; frivolous, to talk about something which isn't real, which has no basis in science, or reality for that matter. But like, say, religion, it's nonetheless something that has real material impacts on people and on political policy.

If you've been paying attention you know that nobody here thinks that 'race' denotes a set of distinct, bounded categories of humans. However, a series of your posts seems to imply that, by talking about people who do think and act as if 'race' is a normal, natural, legitimate way to categorise people, we automatically subscribe to the 'race is real' camp, or if not subscribe, legitimise that point of view. Why? You've expressed your frustration well enough, but what is it about this discussion which frustrates you so much that you feel justified to call avowed anti-racists bigots?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:03 am

I thought my reply was better...
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am

Just guessing now: Maybe Macdoc thinks that describing someone's thought process as toddler-like and his notability as a thinker as zero makes me automatically as bigoted as the worst Florida cracker if the target of my negative description happens to be black.

If my guess is right Macdoc would not regard me as bigoted as the worst Florida cracker if Morgan Freeman were Caucasian and I wrote the exact same things.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:23 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:02 am
macdoc wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:17 am
We understand it's a challenging subject for you. It seems silly perhaps; frivolous, to talk about something which isn't real, which has no basis in science, or reality for that matter. But like, say, religion, it's nonetheless something that has real material impacts on people and on political policy.
Like religious nuts, racists aren't going to be persuaded by telling them they're wrong.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Critical Theory itself, a fuzzy concept
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_theory
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag