Critical Race Theory

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by hackenslash » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm

I wrote a little thought experiment on CRT a while back.

The Supremacy of History

Note that this isn't a description of CRT itself, it's a look at the implications for the way we view history, which is one of the major ways that inequality manifests. Properly, CRT is an advanced field of study in human rights law, looking at how legislation drives and promulgates inequality, but also the study of how the way we view history is itself a source of inequality.

CRT is not taught in schools, but some of the implications of it have been used to inform the way history is taught, and this has white supremacists up in arms, because woe betide anybody who suggests that the economic and social disparity in society was largely generated by those at the bottom of it to be enjoyed only by those at the top.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:49 pm

:clap:

"Do we really want 'history is written by the victors' to be semantically equivalent to 'the lunatics have taken over the asylum'?"

That made me do a real lol. :)

I'm looking forward to those additional 3000 words!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:27 pm

I'm grateful and impressed in equal measure that you made it all the way through. Thank you.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:27 pm
I'm grateful and impressed in equal measure that you made it all the way through. Thank you.
Pah. It was an easy read because you write so well.

I was rather taken with your analogy of blacknuss as akin to a disability, which strikes me as quite a powerful one because of its obviousness and simplicity. You cannot get the go-ahead for a building these days without considering accessibility, but accessibility isn't just putting a wheelchair ramp in the plans - it's a well established and broader concept, one which informs more than just architecture. There's no point putting in a wheelchair ramp if, once you're at the top you can't get through the door, or when you do get through the door you find the reception desk is three and a half-foot high, or if the reception desk is fine the people working there don't have the basic awareness or haven't had the right kind of training, or if they do have the training you still find the rest of the building is difficult to navigate. Accessibility isn't about doing something extra for disabled people - 'making allowances' for a few people with disabilities and impairments as it were - it's a general operating principle which informs sets of general practices which in turn enhance the scope of inclusion and functionality for all

In creating a culture in which the use of buildings is made accessible to the widest demographic possible, and following that through in the broadest sense possible, we help make a society which is accessible to the widest demographic possible - or, 'inclusive' - regardless of individual capacity or impairment.

Of course, you weren't comparing skin tone to disability, but, like you say, the former does come with similar impairments of the kind that often still crop up at the top of the wheelchair ramp. Here the Social Model of Disability can be quite informative, again as an analogy, because it acknowledges factors beyond a medical diagnosis which really do impact the lives of the people who are the recipients of those kinds of diagnoses. Where traditionally the concept of disability has been determined and defined by a medical diagnosis which exclusively concentrated on the disease-related physical or cognitive impairments of the individual (a reading of disability and of being a disabled person which is still prevalent in society today), the social model broadens the focus to also include individuals' physical, social, political, and economic environments. By considering cultural factors along with medical descriptions disability is viewed in a more realistic and relevant context: as a something that arises out of sets of individual and social conditions which, in combination, can impose both disabling limitations on individuals and groups (exclusions) as well as enabling mitigation of limitations (inclusions).

I'm sure there's no need for me to tease this out much more for you, but, in short, I think 'accessibility' offers us persuasive tools we can employ in building societies that are more inclusive and, well, functional for all - as well as offering a strong inoculation against the kind of arguments those who oppose calls for expanding social inclusion generally come to the table with.

Anyway, just some thunks off the top of my head. :tup:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:26 pm
Pah. It was an easy read because you write so well.
Thank you.
I was rather taken with your analogy of blacknuss as akin to a disability, which strikes me as quite a powerful one because of its obviousness and simplicity. You cannot get the go-ahead for a building these days without considering accessibility, but accessibility isn't just putting a wheelchair ramp in the plans - it's a well established and broader concept, one which informs more than just architecture. There's no point putting in a wheelchair ramp if, once you're at the top you can't get through the door, or when you do get through the door you find the reception desk is three and a half-foot high, or if the reception desk is fine the people working there don't have the basic awareness or haven't had the right kind of training, or if they do have the training you still find the rest of the building is difficult to navigate. Accessibility isn't about doing something extra for disabled people - 'making allowances' for a few people with disabilities and impairments as it were - it's a general operating principle which informs sets of general practices which in turn enhance the scope of inclusion and functionality for all

In creating a culture in which the use of buildings is made accessible to the widest demographic possible, and following that through in the broadest sense possible, we help make a society which is accessible to the widest demographic possible - or, 'inclusive' - regardless of individual capacity or impairment.

Of course, you weren't comparing skin tone to disability, but, like you say, the former does come with similar impairments of the kind that often still crop up at the top of the wheelchair ramp. Here the Social Model of Disability can be quite informative, again as an analogy, because it acknowledges factors beyond a medical diagnosis which really do impact the lives of the people who are the recipients of those kinds of diagnoses. Where traditionally the concept of disability has been determined and defined by a medical diagnosis which exclusively concentrated on the disease-related physical or cognitive impairments of the individual (a reading of disability and of being a disabled person which is still prevalent in society today), the social model broadens the focus to also include individuals' physical, social, political, and economic environments. By considering cultural factors along with medical descriptions disability is viewed in a more realistic and relevant context: as a something that arises out of sets of individual and social conditions which, in combination, can impose both disabling limitations on individuals and groups (exclusions) as well as enabling mitigation of limitations (inclusions).

I'm sure there's no need for me to tease this out much more for you, but, in short, I think 'accessibility' offers us persuasive tools we can employ in building societies that are more inclusive and, well, functional for all - as well as offering a strong inoculation against the kind of arguments those who oppose calls for expanding social inclusion generally come to the table with.

Anyway, just some thunks off the top of my head. :tup:
I like your thunks.

I spent a bit of time researching about how we think about authority for an as-yet unwritten piece for the blog, and it involved interacting with activists of all stripe. One of them was a blind veteran who was an activist for the Americans with Disabilities Act, essentially travelling around his area to government facilities and seeing if they were compliant. One of his disability aids is a camera, as he has short-term memory problems resulting from head trauma during active service in Afghanistan. It was a real eye-opener to me, exposing things about how we view disability and how we measure up to our standards of equalising the challenges. You can't unsee that stuff.

And yes, the comparison to disability was fraught, and I wondered whether it would cause complaint. Not often I consider slapping a whacking great disclaimer in the middle of a post.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:34 am

hackenslash wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:52 pm

I spent a bit of time researching about how we think about authority for an as-yet unwritten piece for the blog, and it involved interacting with activists of all stripe. One of them was a blind veteran who was an activist for the Americans with Disabilities Act, essentially travelling around his area to government facilities and seeing if they were compliant. One of his disability aids is a camera, as he has short-term memory problems resulting from head trauma during active service in Afghanistan. It was a real eye-opener to me, exposing things about how we view disability and how we measure up to our standards of equalising the challenges. You can't unsee that stuff.

Your use of irony is admirable.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:07 am

Opposition to critical race theory is a means by which awareness and discussion of racism in general is stymied. There are several reasons for wanting to do that. Here is one of them:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:55 am

Very, very apt...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:51 pm

The absolute epitome of the notion of supremacy, not only subjugating, but working to control the tone of the discussion concerning subjugation.

Doesn't get any more racist than that.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:09 pm

I have a real problem with Hermit. I can't steal his memes and post them elsewhere. Because he is there too.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 pm

Sung to the tune from "The Sound of Music"...

"How do you solve a problem like Hermit"... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:27 pm

Tero wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:09 pm
I have a real problem with Hermit. I can't steal his memes and post them elsewhere. Because he is there too.
"Steal", huh? WTF? How else does one get memes? Do what I do: "Steal" memes from whoever, then repost them at wherever.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:33 am

In Soviet Russia, memes steal you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:09 pm

:funny:

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:44 am

My professor asked us to read up on the Wilmington massacre. The city did a study to sort of sweep this into the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmingto ... on_of_1898
It's still the same response as it was 1898
Reply from League of the South
In 2005, the League of the South, a white supremacist group "known for opposing civil rights laws and defending the right to display the Confederate flag",[153] set up a web site, "1898 Wilmington". Under the name of "1898 Wilmington Institute for Education & Research", they spoke of "Reconstruction horror". What is "sometimes labeled a race riot or rebellion" was actually the actions of law-abiding white Democrats rescuing the city from Republican and carpetbagger corruption, compounded by ignorant, misled negroes who were in no way capable of voting intelligently. They quoted white supremacist governor Charles Aycock, who was "passionately interested in good government", on "the menace of negro suffrage": "[T]he only hope of good government in North Carolina, and the other Southern States, rested upon the assured political supremacy of the white race". It quotes approvingly the pro-lynching spokeswoman Rebecca Felton, claims that blacks did not lose any property as a result of the riot, and blames the entire conflict on Alexander Manly, carpetbaggers, and other Republicans.

The group's Web site disappeared in 2013