Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: That idiot Crowder vs reality

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:25 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:47 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:58 am
if a man who is always and only ever attracted to other men never acts on those impulses and instead leads a 'regular' life, marries a women, has kids, never talks about it to anyone, and only gives the impression of being as 'straight as a die', and I guess is OK with all that, is he actually a gay? Wouldn't he be, to all intents and purposes, straight?
No. Gayness is a matter of sexual preference for having sex with members of the same sex, regardless of whether or not that preference is acted upon. Conversely, someone who sucks another man's cock or lets him fuck up the arse solely in order to get enough money for the next fix is not gay.

What makes you think that men who marry women, have kids, never talk about it to anyone, and only give the impression of being as 'straight as a die' are actually OK with all that, rather than suppressing their homosexual desires because of the social pressure to conform?
Firstly, this is a question asked within a particular context and entered into in the spirit of sceptical enquiry - so you should probably have quoted the whole comment. Secondly, what 'makes me think' that the hypothetical man might be 'OK with that' is the hypothetical nature of the question itself. And thirdly, the question isn't about the reality, or otherwise, of the hypothetical, but about the performative nature of an nominal individual's sexuality and mode of sexual expression.

Cnut thought that he'd define 'gay' as meaning acting, you know, gay. Now, we both know that doesn't really illuminate anything does it(?) because then we're obliged to ask what 'acting gay' involves i.e. if being gay is acting gay, then acting gay is what defines you as gay - it's a self sustaining subjective definition that doesn't really define anything. Nonetheless, his framing of gayness as a matter reliant on specific categories of personal action is genuinely interesting to me, and so I asked him, in a way I thought he'd relate to and understand, to expand on what he'd said by encouraging him to think about the idea of a gay man who did not 'act gay'. I thought this would be a good first step to teasing out what categories of specifically gay personal action he might be thinking about.

You see, he's embodying gayness in personal action, but not necessarily in terms of personal experience, that is; not in terms of things like emotion, feeling, sensibility, attraction, desire, passion or love etc. Presumably, for Cnut, to be a man is simply to act like a man, to be a woman is to act like a woman, and to be a gay man or a gay woman is to act like a gay man or woman, etc. People's identity is grounded in their actions and interactions with others and not located within their personal being per se - it's not about who you think you are or how you feel about yourself, but how you act and react to others in the World, and, to some extent, about what you think others understand about you through your actions. Don't you find that a fascinating idea?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:19 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:52 am
Cunt wrote:Thanks.

Let's call that 'feeling gay'.

There is another gay - 'taking willfully homosexual action'.
That can be a subset. It also could be experimentation without being broadly gay.

I expect homosexuality is innate, but that doesn't preclude people being confused or in denial. It also doesn't preclude people choosing to try some gay for a bit of a thrill.
I was only dividing between thought and action, and with that in mind, can you answer a question like 'is being gay a choice?'

Because for me, it makes a difference.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:49 am
Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:32 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:27 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:45 pm
Is someone who never acts on their urge still considered 'gay'? Is someone who does the acts, but never likes it, still considered 'gay'?
What's the relevance of what other people think? Surely all that matters is what the individual thinks of their sexual orientation.

Someone wants to talk about a subject including the word 'gay', so I want to be clear about what it means to this discussion.

You don't have to understand, but can keep heckling. I'd wonder where you went if you didn't.
Nah. After you introduced the subject someone asked you to reflect on whether you accepted the premise of certain attitudes, which presume that children can be unduly influenced to be gay at school, and to such an extent that their needs to be a special requirement in law defining the bounds of how teachers interact with their pupils on personal issues like sexuality and sexual expression so that children are not influenced to misled into being something they are not, or should not be. Your 'but nobody can define gay' schtik is a distraction, one that presumes, for convenience, that 'gay' is somehow an ambiguous term or novel concept.
Grooming is frowned upon for exactly the reason you are asking about.

Forget all the gays for a moment, would you like this kind of behaviour applied by old guys to little girls? Or would that seem plainly creepy?

You don't seem to want this kind of serious, honest discussion though, do you?
You are right, I don't want it here. Feel free to invite me somewhere comfortable for such a discussion.

Like a run. Lets go run trails, and chat. :) Maybe I'll read along to see if there is a difference between pErv's definition (acts) and Hermit's (thoughts)
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:57 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:25 pm
Hermit wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:47 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:58 am
if a man who is always and only ever attracted to other men never acts on those impulses and instead leads a 'regular' life, marries a women, has kids, never talks about it to anyone, and only gives the impression of being as 'straight as a die', and I guess is OK with all that, is he actually a gay? Wouldn't he be, to all intents and purposes, straight?
No. Gayness is a matter of sexual preference for having sex with members of the same sex, regardless of whether or not that preference is acted upon. Conversely, someone who sucks another man's cock or lets him fuck up the arse solely in order to get enough money for the next fix is not gay.

What makes you think that men who marry women, have kids, never talk about it to anyone, and only give the impression of being as 'straight as a die' are actually OK with all that, rather than suppressing their homosexual desires because of the social pressure to conform?
Firstly, this is a question asked within a particular context and entered into in the spirit of sceptical enquiry - so you should probably have quoted the whole comment.
My reply to your comment was limited to the bit I quoted, and in my opinion this reply did not require mentioning the particular context you couched it in. Believe it or not, my repeated confessions of being of merely average intellect at the best of times are not instances of clumsy humble-bragging. I really am not particularly bright. That is why I prefer to deal with arguments one element at a time, then attempt to comprehend how whatever number of them are involved fit together. In this instance I chose to regard your question, as quoted, as standing on its own, and replied to it as such.

In short: You asked for a definition of gay. Though not addressed to me, I volunteered a reply.

Apologies for snipping the rest of your post.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:37 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:19 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:52 am

You don't seem to want this kind of serious, honest discussion though, do you?
You are right, I don't want it here. Feel free to invite me somewhere comfortable for such a discussion.
Mmmm. Smells like troll spirit.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 pm

Cunt wrote:
Like a run. Lets go run trails, and chat. :) Maybe I'll read along to see if there is a difference between pErv's definition (acts) and Hermit's (thoughts)
My definition was thoughts (sic).
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:14 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 pm
Cunt wrote:
My definition was thoughts (sic).
I thought so.

I tend to agree, but it is a little context-dependant.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:12 am

So Crowder's coming to my town to perform. Tickets are from $68 to $491 USD.

Inflation is real folks. I saw George Carlin at this place for $35, and B. B. King for $40. :{D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:14 am

What instrument does Crowder play, other than his dick?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:26 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:14 am
Pops Crowder is often part of the show. Maybe he plays something inappropriate about childhood trauma...

Dave Landau (sp?) is pretty funny sometimes. I would argue a better comedian than Crowder.

Don't think it's worth buying a ticket, though. At least for me.

The comedy show is ok, and I can enjoy it, but the best stuff he does is the 'Change My Mind' segments, and social media helps, by making them obviously difficult to find in the search returns. :)
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:47 pm

JimC wrote:
The criolin I believe. :coffee:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Joe wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:47 pm
JimC wrote:
The criolin I believe. :coffee:
He is describing the attack template which is currently in use against 'libsoftiktok' today. It's not as funny, but I do like how he outlines the garbage smears of corporate shills.

Not HIS corporate shilling, mind, just THEIRS.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:02 am

I can understand why some fellows feel compelled to admire Crowder. The man's portrayal of a feckless shitbird is nearly faultless. Not to forget the inimitable Tim Pool, who gets a mention in the article below for his immortal declaration that 'The Rubicon has been crossed.'

'MAGA World Wants "War" After FBI Raid On Trump's Mar-A-Lago'
After news broke Monday evening that the FBI had raided Mar-a-Lago, the Florida home of former President Donald Trump, right-wing influencer Steven Crowder delivered an alarming message to his nearly 2 million followers on Twitter: “Sleep well. Tomorrow is war.”

The next day, during his show on YouTube, where he has nearly 6 million subscribers, Crowder called for ​​the “defunding” and “dismantling” of “our intelligence agencies” and the FBI over the raid on Trump’s seaside mansion. He also called for a purge, imploring the GOP to get revenge.

“The next president of the United States needs to prosecute everyone,” he said. “Needs to clean house everywhere.”

“If a Republican gets in, investigate everybody, raid everybody,” he added. “Use all of it. I don’t care if we become Nicaragua at this point.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:44 am

Crowder: the unwitting sleeper.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:50 pm

immature little man

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Another Canadian who's obsessed with Trump.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.