The greed of Football Clubs

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: The greed of Football Clubs

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:46 pm

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am

Surely that will sink the entire deal now?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21/ ... /100083138
European Super League organisers have backed down, saying they will "reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project", following the swift collapse of their proposed breakaway league.

The competition had been left in crisis as all six English Premier League signatories, including Liverpool, Manchester United, Spurs and Arsenal confirmed their exits, and reports said Serie A clubs Inter and AC Milan were set to follow suit.

"The European Super League is convinced that the current status quo of European football needs to change," organisers said in a statement.

"Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.

"Given the circumstances, we shall reconsider the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always having in mind our goals of offering fans the best experience possible while enhancing solidarity payments for the entire football community," they added.
A face-saving announcement, but it seems likely that "reshape the project" means abandoning it, particularly if some of the proposed European clubs also back away...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:20 am

It is the end at this moment in time but the greed is still there. While not wanting anyway to return to the 50's when players were played a disgustingly low wages, the present situation is also not very desirable having on one hand very rich clubs able of buying in anyone they want and on the other small clubs just managing to keep themselves afloat. A restructuring of the game is required. Some English club teams are hardly "English" anymore which is hardly encouraging for local grown talent which exactly the opposite here with plenty of clubs running their own schools encouraging young talent to grow and take its rightful place in senior teams.
The Champions League is being restructured but whether it is sufficient time will tell.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:22 pm

I bet you a fiver that we find out next week the government offered them more Covid money to shelve the plans. They'll probably still do it in the end though.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:59 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:27 pm

Entirely agree with him. Capitalism moved in and greed took over.