All Things Biden: Is It Over Yet?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: All Things Biden: Is It Over Yet?

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:59 am

So, the conspiracy de jour seems to be that corporate America is entwined with the Democratic Party to push a progressive, left-wing agenda which involves silencing conservative voices...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 am

Bizarre given the Dems are economic conservatives.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:44 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 am
My impression was that there is a fairly large range of positions within the Democratic Party, both on economic and social policies. Some, at least of those policies would not really be classed as "conservative". But if they were characterised by that term, how should we name the economic policies of the Republicans?
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 am

So, Biden and the corporations are bosom buddies, eh?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-10/ ... /100059644
This week, the United States signalled a major shift on tax policy.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen told the Chicago Council on Global Affairs there had been a "30-year race to the bottom on corporate tax rates".

The United States, she said, was now "working with G20 nations to agree to a global minimum corporate tax rate that can stop the race to the bottom".

This idea, which aims to discourage multinational companies from shifting profits to low-tax countries (regardless of where their sales are made), has been floating around for some time.
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:20 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:44 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 am
My impression was that there is a fairly large range of positions within the Democratic Party, both on economic and social policies. Some, at least of those policies would not really be classed as "conservative". But if they were characterised by that term, how should we name the economic policies of the Republicans?
I don't think the Dems are economically any different to our Liberals. The Republicans are full on economically corporatist and moralist. So even more conservative.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:22 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 am
So, Biden and the corporations are bosom buddies, eh?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-10/ ... /100059644
This week, the United States signalled a major shift on tax policy.

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen told the Chicago Council on Global Affairs there had been a "30-year race to the bottom on corporate tax rates".

The United States, she said, was now "working with G20 nations to agree to a global minimum corporate tax rate that can stop the race to the bottom".

This idea, which aims to discourage multinational companies from shifting profits to low-tax countries (regardless of where their sales are made), has been floating around for some time.
This is one of the most important policies of our times. The erosion of tax revenue, and therefore state services, has been a social disaster. It has to be stopped, somehow. Not that I think this will get up. The anti-tax segment of our populations is just too great.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-09/ ... /100055280
On the day before US President Joe Biden announced new gun control measures, the US recorded its seventh mass shooting for 2021.

The plans to announce the new measures were already in place before a former NFL player killed five people in South Carolina.

The shooting brought America's death toll from mass shootings in 2021 to 38, a problem Biden labelled "an epidemic, for God's sake".

"It has to stop," he said.

The new plan tackles 'ghost guns'

Among the new measures are:

* a crackdown on self-assembled "ghost guns"
* a rule change to classify pistols with stabilising braces as short-barreled rifles
* promises to provide more data on firearms trafficking
* Investing in community violence intervention programs

"Ghost guns" are homemade weapons that are assembled from parts and don't have a serial number, making it difficult to trace them. In the US, it's legal to build a "ghost gun" in a home and there's no requirement for a background check.

Biden's new rule would require "ghost gun" kits to carry serial numbers and for buyers to get background checks.

The new rules on pistols with stabilising braces — which can effectively turn pistols into rifles — will mean buyers will require a federal licence and pass a more thorough application process.

“The idea that we have so many people dying every single day from gun violence in America is a blemish on our character as a nation,” Biden said.

It's a long way short of what Biden promised

On the election campaign trail in 2020, the US president promised to take much more forceful action to combat America's gun violence issue.

His plan, still available on his website, promised comprehensive measures like an assault weapons ban and a plan to buy back those already on America's streets.

The plan also proposed background checks for all gun sales and banning the sale of guns and ammunition online.

But today's new measures are a long way short of that, and it's because of the political reality Biden faces in Congress.

His new rules were issued via executive order, a special power the US president can use to act without the approval of Congress.

But executive orders are limited and Biden's most ambitious goals would need to pass through the House of Representatives and the Senate.

He said today he wasn't going to "give up" on that goal.

"There's much more that Congress can do to help that effort. And they can do it right now," Biden said,

"They've offered plenty of thoughts and prayers — members of Congress — but they've passed not a single new federal law to reduce gun violence.

"Enough prayers. Time for some action."

Despite the limited scope of the orders, gun control advocates welcomed the moves.

"Each of these executive actions will start to address the epidemic of gun violence that has raged throughout the pandemic, and begin to make good on President Biden’s promise to be the strongest gun safety president in history," said John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety.
Of course, he won't get the Senate votes he needs for truly effective action...

And, as always, gun manufacturers have greeted the announcement with tears of joy - gun and ammo sales predictably rocketed... :roll:
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:01 am

Laklak and Seth probably accounted for half of those.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:25 am

:hehe:
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:34 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:52 am
What's to explain? It's like corporate sponsorship, but a joke. Amazon didn't REALLY sponsor the lockdowns.

Coincidentally, they profited hugely by recent government policies, and censor on behalf of some.
Haven't you noticed that the super rich and influential always get to write the policies they want, then when things get sticky they throw up their hands and say, "Well, it's all that damn government regulations. Our hands are tied," and then they get a little more of what they want for good measure?

Do you really think stopping people voting Democrat, flushing antifa down the toilet, or keeping trans people out of the army is going to change any of that?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:46 am

The riots ruined businesses and communities, unimpeded throughout 2020.

The first time it reached their offices, armed guards and it STOPPED instantly.

Do you think the riots should be against the local big box store? Or the governments that are accused of riot-worthy practices?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:52 am

The non-sequitur is strong in you.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:52 am

But we all like a chicken dinner on a Wednesday sometimes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm

* a crackdown on self-assembled "ghost guns"
* a rule change to classify pistols with stabilising braces as short-barreled rifles
* promises to provide more data on firearms trafficking
* Investing in community violence intervention programs
Oh how the mighty have fallen! Sleep Joe was going to ban (and confiscate!) all those pesky Weapons of Mass Murder (aka AR-15s). Wonder what changed his mind? The over 4,000,0000 new background checks in March (last figures I've seen)? Maybe he's worried about the loyalty of the 20,000 troops he's surrounded himself with when they're told to roll on their fellow citizens and violate the Constitution they swore an oath to protect?

Ghost guns! Lol. Does anyone honestly think these are a real threat? I mean, more than the closing on 350,000,000 other, legal guns in the country? Talk about low hanging fruit.

Oh, were going to reclassify pistols with a detachable stock as a rifle. That will do a lot of good, eh? Want to know why that's ridiculous? "Detachable" is a hint.

Feel good nonsense to placate the loudest leftys, it will do absolutely nothing to stop either mass shootings or the general rate of gun violence.

Jesus, what a clown show.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:03 pm

There is a trending complaint in this vein, that goes something like 'gun grabs are racism'.

I've always agreed with Crowder, that personal firearms are the only practical way for women to level the playing field vs men who might attack them.

So I would say gun laws are anti-women, but the racism point is more 'current' I suppose.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.