The state of the UK

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: The state of the UK

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:28 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 am
Calm down dear. You'll give yourself an aneurysm.
Unsupported claim.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 pm

Another great deal. This time with Fernland. Another unconfirmed deal? No deal yet has been passed by any government. He is living cloud cuckoo land. The UK has no trade deal with anyone.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:27 am

The UK has negotiated two trade deals since Brexit. One to import lamb from Australia, the other to export lamb to the US.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:52 am

Fairy trade.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:58 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:27 am
The UK has negotiated two trade deals since Brexit. One to import lamb from Australia, the other to export lamb to the US.
Are they confirmed by parliament though? Claiming to make a deal only happens when it has been through parliament.

UK strikes trade deal with New Zealand – but it may add nothing to GDP
‘Groundbreaking’ agreement criticised by UK farmers is part of 10-year plan to pivot to Indo-Pacific

Britain has struck a trade deal with New Zealand, a key ally, as ministers hope to stem the country’s reliance on China – but the agreement is expected to add no value to the UK’s gross domestic product.

Despite the Department for International Trade heralding the deal as a “groundbreaking” achievement that was a “vital part” of Boris Johnson’s commitment to levelling up, the prime minister has been accused of selling out British farmers.

Tariffs as high as 10% are set to be removed on a range of UK goods, including clothes, buses, ships and bulldozers. The price of New Zealand-produced sauvignon blanc, manuka honey and kiwifruit should dip after 16 months of talks.

Trade between the UK and New Zealand is now worth £2.3bn a year, and the government said that would rise as the deal would make it easier for smaller businesses to break into the New Zealand market – as well as remove barriers for advanced tech and services companies.

Labour’s shadow international trade secretary, Emily Thornberry, echoed the criticism and said the deal would generate just £112m in additional exports for UK firms compared with pre-pandemic levels. Referring to the price tag of a new national flagship, she claimed the total value for businesses from the agreement would be “less than half the cost of Boris Johnson’s new yacht”.

Thornberry said: “It is a deal whose only major winners are the mega-corporations who run New Zealand’s meat and dairy farms, all at the expense of British farmers who are already struggling to compete. But for British jobs, growth and exports, this deal is yet another massive failure.”
Another great deal.

(Wat is Ardern lelijk; een paardenkop.)

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:57 am

Great place to work is the UK.

Anger as ministers block ‘fire and rehire’ bill in Commons
Opposition and unions say government is siding with bad bosses by scuppering proposed legislation

Ministers have scuppered a Commons bill that would have stopped the practice of companies firing staff and then rehiring them on worse pay and conditions, saying that while they opposed such actions, legislation was the wrong way to respond.

The decision prompted anger from opposition parties and unions, with the TUC saying the government had “chosen to side with bad bosses”.

The junior business minister, Paul Scully, spoke for more than 40 minutes in the chamber, ensuring that the private member’s bill ran out of time and would not progress beyond its second reading.

Earlier in the session, Barry Gardiner, the Labour MP behind the bill, forced a vote that, if passed, would have prevented the government tactics. However, vote was defeated by 251 votes to 188.

The debate follows increasing concern over so-called “fire and rehire” tactics, as used by companies such as British Gas, which dismissed hundreds of engineers earlier this year who had refused to accept a pay cut and longer, more antisocial hours. Others accepted jobs on the new terms.
Such a fair and "democratic" country.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:06 am

Supermarkets using cardboard cutouts to hide gaps left by supply issues
Public mockery as problems with deliveries and a move to fewer product lines result in empty shelves

Supermarkets are using cardboard cutouts of fruit, vegetables and other groceries to fill gaps on shelves because supply problems combined with a shift towards smaller product ranges mean many stores are now too big.

Tesco has begun using pictures of asparagus, carrots, oranges and grapes in its fresh produce aisles, prompting ridicule on social media.

“Mmmm, delicious photos of asparagus,” one commenter wrote on Twitter. Another mocked an oversized picture of the vegetable piled up: “I love that asparagus grows to this size in the UK. It’s our climate, I’m sure.”
:funny: :funny:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:15 am

Chumocracy. Amiright?
Last edited by pErvinalia on Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:16 am

Amongst other things.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:26 am

Chumocracy moving further:

Tory MP: BBC ‘should hire a Brexiteer as its next political editor’
Commons committee chair Julian Knight says Laura Kuenssberg’s replacement should be ‘much more pro-Brexit’ if she steps down

A senior Conservative MP has said that if Laura Kuenssberg steps down as the BBC’s political editor, the corporation should consider replacing her with somebody “much more pro-Brexit”.

Julian Knight, who is the chair of the digital, culture, media and sport committee, which monitors the BBC, has reportedly said that if the top political job became available, the corporation should “throw the net wider” and consider hiring a journalist who supported Brexit.
In Chumocracy truth is not important. :ddpan:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:32 pm

Chumocracy's playgrounds.

BVI inquiry hears claims of systemic corruption and jury intimidation
Allegations aired against senior figures include selective granting of citizenship and drug running

Allegations of systemic corruption, cronyism, jury intimidation and misuse of public funds are being aired in a courtroom in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) after the UK government set up a commission of inquiry into mis-governance in the British overseas territory.

More than 50 lengthy public hearings, and voluminous written evidence, have revealed a dark underside to the BVI, one of the biggest tax havens in the world, as well as exposing a deep well of resentment among some of the Caribbean island’s politicians at the controls placed on them by London.

During the hearings, the former British attorney general, Sir Geoffrey Cox QC, has represented the BVI premier, Andrew Fahie, and other government ministers.

Allegations aired at the hearings range from unaudited spending on a $40m (£29m) Covid stimulus fund, the handing out of contracts worth close to £100,000 to politically connected people, a £10m land development deal, the selective granting of BVI citizenship or “belonger” status, handing out of Crown Property and drug running.

The hearings are raising fraught issues about the constitutional authority of London, through the governor, to rule the island.

The governor takes papers to cabinet, chairs its meetings and gives advice, but has no vote and only indirect responsibility for financial matters.
No wonder the Brexiteers wanted to keep the EU taxmen away from them.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Chumocracy threatening what rights the UK citizen still has.

Judicial review is the people’s right. I will fight this government’s attempts to destroy it
The bill designed to prevent government actions being challenged in the courts is un-conservative and undemocratic
Well forget the democratic bit.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:40 am

ibid wrote:...While the attack on judicial review is a worrying assault on our legal system, it is only part of the picture. The government intends for this bill to serve as a template for further attempts to curtail the working of the courts in the UK.

It is attempting to abolish Cart judicial reviews through a mechanism known as an ouster clause. Essentially, this is the government legislating to deny a court jurisdiction in a certain matter. Left unchecked, the use of these ouster clauses could give the government free rein to designate certain decisions that it has made, or the use of certain powers it hands itself, to be unchallengeable in the courts.

And the government, through this bill, wants to establish a framework for how ouster clauses can be applied to other areas in future legislation. This all too clearly leaves the door open for further ouster clauses to be created that remove the courts from decisions in matters such as employment tribunals or social security. It does not take a wild imagination to picture a future government, racked by constant losses in the courts on welfare matters, to suddenly legislate to remove the court’s vital oversight functions in such decisions.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 am

The slippery road to the one party state and dictatorship.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 am

The poor get hit again in the UK.

Sunak’s sneaky budget can’t hide the cost of living crisis about to hit voters
Polly Toynbee wrote:The chancellor’s spending plan will promise much, but the result will be disappointment

What a tightrope the chancellor will walk on Wednesday, with contradictory messages to satisfy opposing audiences. His party, who will chose its next leader, wants austerity so he keeps a photo of Margaret Thatcher’s chancellor, Nigel Lawson, by his desk. That matches Rishi Sunak’s conference admonition that “stacking up bills for future generations to pay is not just economically irresponsible. It’s immoral.”

Yet a blizzard of public-pleasing spending promises sows deliberate confusion: is he putting a tourniquet on spending or splashing the cash? He wants us to believe both impossibles: he can “level up” with fiscal rectitude, while cutting the deficit and carbon emissions too.

This is nonsense. Screws will tighten on public services. There should be no surprises that the trail of spending pledges is deceptive when even the head of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), Paul Johnson, tells me that though there will be extra capital spent, “We can’t work out how much is re-announced” as the chancellor obfuscates the time over which the money is spread.

What a tightrope the chancellor will walk on Wednesday, with contradictory messages to satisfy opposing audiences. His party, who will chose its next leader, wants austerity so he keeps a photo of Margaret Thatcher’s chancellor, Nigel Lawson, by his desk. That matches Rishi Sunak’s conference admonition that “stacking up bills for future generations to pay is not just economically irresponsible. It’s immoral.”

Yet a blizzard of public-pleasing spending promises sows deliberate confusion: is he putting a tourniquet on spending or splashing the cash? He wants us to believe both impossibles: he can “level up” with fiscal rectitude, while cutting the deficit and carbon emissions too.

Overall spending will rise, but almost all of it will go to the NHS, because everyone needs that. But few ever come in contact with collapsing courts, prisons, disability services or dismal units for excluded pupils. Paul Johnson expresses surprise that we have “already passed” what he thought would be tipping points in some services. He expected more outcry over the £20 reduction in universal credit: “But once it happened everything went quiet.”

Inflation is expected to increase to 5% while wages lag, a real cut. Energy bills could rise 30%, petrol prices hit a record high on Sunday, rents are up by 8.5%, family debts soar, while the Food and Drink Federation tells me food prices will be up 9% by December. The Institute for Public Policy Research says a typical family loses £500 a year in the national insurance levy and an expected 5% rise in council tax.
Brexit means Chumocracy.