The state of the UK

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The state of the UK

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:33 pm

:lol:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:28 pm

Here is my contribution:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:37 pm

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:14 am

:lol: I get the sentiment... if there's enough petroi, they might want to do other major tories too.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:14 am

In a so called first world country.

The 81 women killed in 28 weeks

Since Sarah Everard’s brutal murder, only one thing has changed – the death toll

People said something had changed with the awful death of Sarah Everard. But the message certainly hasn’t reached the men who rape, harm and kill women. And I can’t see a difference in the government, police, Crown Prosecution Service or the judiciary either.

Since Sarah Everard was abducted, raped, murdered and, in the words of her mother, “disposed of as if she were rubbish”, at least 81 other UK women have been killed in circumstances where the suspect is a man. It is absolutely ludicrous that we know this because of my work, a random northern woman in east London, not the government, not the National Police Chiefs Council. Each of these women will have died in terror and pain, just like Sarah. Each one leaves behind grieving friends and family for whom the loss will last a lifetime.

It is significant that Sarah was killed by a serving police officer, but I wish the suffering of these women, and the anguish of those who loved them, were not accepted as normal and inevitable.
WTF!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:51 am

Staff shortages spreading to all corners of UK business, survey finds
Brexit, global supply chain issues and the ‘long tail of Covid-19’ creates ‘perfect storm for UK firms’

Staff shortages are rippling out from the haulage, farming and hospitality sectors to almost all parts of the economy, putting “severe pressure” on medium-sized business across the UK, a new survey has warned.

More than a quarter of the 500 firms polled said the lack of staff was putting pressure on their ability to operate at normal levels, with reduced stock – due to the resulting supply chain disruption – hurting their business.

While some firms had considered cutting production, others were planning to raise prices, leading to concerns over rising inflation as the Christmas trading period approaches.

Nearly a fifth said they were increasing wages to attract new staff, while others were introducing extra perks to lure workers.

But the report, released by accountancy and advisory firm BDO, said the knock-on effects for consumers could be “significant”, with nearly one-third of businesses saying the prices would need to rise in the next three to six months to make up for the disruption.

More than one-third of firms in the survey said they had also cut down on the kinds of products and services on offer, with a further third planned to do the same over the coming month unless the situation radically improves. A similar proportion expect stock ranges to be affected long-term.

Businesses blamed the pandemic and Brexit for the shortage of overseas workers, with 38% saying a lack of regional talent was hurting their ability to recruit much-needed staff. “Brexit, global supply chain issues and the long tail of Covid-19 has created a perfect storm for UK businesses,” BDO partner Ed Dwan said.
The Brits are trying to convince themselves that the same is happening in the rest of Europe. Well there is a shock in store; it is not. Also the arrogance that EU citizens will travel over to the UK to work is another myth. There is plenty of work here. Unemployment has never been so low. Why travel to a dump of a country when there is work down the road?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 am

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:12 pm

Boris is such a graceful man, isn't he?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:54 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:12 pm
Boris is such a graceful man, isn't he?
Ask l'emmerdeur, but I think even I am more graceful than that bag of poo
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:28 am

Well there is definitely one law for the rich:

Met police drop investigation into Prince Andrew in Virginia Giuffre case
Officers made decision after reportedly talking to Giuffre and a review of documents

The Metropolitan police are taking no further action after a review prompted by Virginia Giuffre, who is taking legal action against Prince Andrew.

Met officers made the decision to drop their investigation on Sunday, after reviewing several documents, including one relating to an ongoing US civil lawsuit concerning Giuffre, who alleges she was forced to have sex with the prince when she was 17 years old.

In an interview in August, after Giuffre filed the lawsuit, the Met commissioner, Dame Cressida Dick, said “no one is above the law” and that she had “asked my team to have another look at the material”.

The Sunday Times reported that Met officers had since questioned Giuffre, who now lives in Australia, about the allegations. It said it was unclear whether they had taken a formal statement from her.

The Met said while its review is “complete”, it will continue to “liaise with other law enforcement agencies who lead the investigation into matters related to Jeffrey Epstein”.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:47 am

UK job vacancies hit record amid Brexit and Covid staff shortages
Rise matched by steep fall in unemployment and rise in staff on payrolls to 29.2 million

Job vacancies soared to a record high of almost 1.2m in September, according to official figures, as employers hunted for staff to meet shortages brought on by Brexit and the pandemic.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) figures also showed a 207,000 increase in the number of people on payrolls to a record 29.2 million – 120,000 above pre-pandemic levels – and a steep fall in unemployment before the furlough scheme came to an end at the end of September.
Going to have to tax those offshore accounts. Oh that is what BREXIT was about. What one glorious mess.

RULE BRITANNIA. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 pm

What's the Dutch for "schadenfreude"?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:34 pm

I laugh at the arrogance Jim. The UK is always arrogant. The country chose in a corrupt referendum and now of course they expect to be helped when all that money is off shore. We are going to help a nation with so much money under the mattress. You are joking? The country has got itself into all this shit. Let Brexiteers get the country out of it. Tax the off shore accounts.
Schadenfreude is the same in any language.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:43 pm

I am no fan of the current British government, and I'm sure that they are doing some dodgy things. But you clearly take pleasure in the misfortunes of the UK, in a relentless way...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!