The state of the UK

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: The state of the UK

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:44 pm

Gee, absent a real oppressive regime --which you clearly lack-- what might be behind the apathy Monbiot?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:43 pm

Ik niet begrepen.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Bless you.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:39 am

‘One rule for them’: newspapers savage Boris Johnson over party scandal
Even usually loyal Tory-supporting titles line up to stick the boot into the government over the Christmas gathering crisis

The crisis engulfing the government over the Downing Street Christmas party scandal has given the newspapers the chance to batter Boris Johnson with varying degrees of savagery.

Amid widespread outrage at the video of No 10 staff joking about whether or not a party was held during last year’s tight lockdown, some normally supportive titles reflect that anger with very critical front pages on Thursday.

The Mail combines Wednesday’s announcement of new Covid rules with the No 10 scandal: “One rule for them, new rules for the rest of us”, the splash headline reads. It carries a large picture of a tearful Allegra Stratton, the No 10 adviser who quit on Wednesday after featuring in the leaked video about a lockdown party that Downing Street had claimed never happened.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:27 pm

It's OK. Mrs Johnson has just been delivered of a baby girl, so that'll suck a lot of the sting out of things tomorrow.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:48 pm

So angry...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:18 pm

So, when in somebody going to fill the basements of 10 Downing with C4?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:45 pm

That would only make martyrs of them. Like most chancers, they'll be the agents of their own undoing in the end.

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:54 pm

maybe, but until that happens, and it will take years, if not decades, they'll have all the opportunity in the world to make things ever worse for normal people... without suffering in the slightest for their disgusting conduct until they die of natural causes, or the hammer eventually falls

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 am

The UK citizens thought they voted otherwise but thanks to the very corrupt electoral system that is what they got; chumocracy.
I agree with you Svarty this will take decades or never to clean up as the UK is a single party plutocracy with her "majesty's opposition" a complete laughing stock who has at best trouble fighting its way out of a paper bag never mind tackling the affairs of the state.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:10 pm

Capitalism is the corrupting force here, and no one person or party is in control of it - or capable of controlling it. All political parties in the West have been lured and captured by it with the only difference between parties being to what extent Capitol exerts an Influence over their ideals and structures. Politics across the West is an argument about who are the best people to do Capitalism's paperwork.

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm

There is nothing wrong with capitalism ....there is lots wrong with predatory capitalism that is unchecked.
ANY human devised structure ....union, religion, cult, government without checks and balances against predatory behavior can be to the detriment of the common weal.

It's predatory behaviour and lack of oversight with teeth you should rail against. :coffee:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:16 am

Beg pardoin, but isn't it a fact that capitalism can't help but be fed after midnight and turn predatory in a jiffy?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:20 am

macdoc wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm
There is nothing wrong with capitalism ....there is lots wrong with predatory capitalism that is unchecked.
Let's talk about Capitalism as it exists as a global socio-economic-political force today, rather than idealist myth. Care to start?
macdoc wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:54 pm
It's predatory behaviour and lack of oversight with teeth you should rail against. :coffee:
Got any examples of non-predatory Capitalism calling for sterner laws, stiffer regulations, and greater oversight?

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:56 am

Capitalism automatically drifts in the predatory direction unless held firmly in place by government regulation and organised labour. Given the global nature of capitalism in the present day, corporations can avoid much of the regulation and taxes that would be imposed on them in a purely national context. Around the world, the checks on predatory capitalism range from virtually none in some third world countries, through to moderately successful in some northern European democracies.

Capitalism is capable of much dynamism and rapid innovation; the trick for regulation is to keep as much of that as possible while keeping the robber baron mentality in check...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!