George Floyd protests

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: George Floyd protests

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 23, 2021 10:41 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:53 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1279134
Philadelphia to pay $2M to Black woman beaten by officers, separated from toddler during unrest

The city of Philadelphia will pay $2 million to a Black woman who was pulled from a car, beaten by officers and had her toddler used for social media fodder by the police union, officials said.

Nursing aide Rickia Young was headed home in the early morning hours of Oct. 27, 2020, when she unknowingly drove into a large protest over the police killing of Walter Wallace Jr.

She tried to make a three-point turn to get away from the tense scene when officers smashed out her windows with their batons, according to her attorneys.

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney called the treatment of Young "absolutely appalling" and "inexcusable."

"This terrible incident, which should have never happened to anyone, only further strained the relationship between the" police and community, Kenney said in a statement.

"The officers’ inexcusable actions that evening prompted an immediate and thorough investigation of the incident and for personnel to be disciplined and held accountable for their egregious conduct. I hope that the settlement and investigations into the officers’ actions bring some measure of closure to Ms. Young and her family."

Young was handcuffed and separated from her teenage nephew and 2-year-old son for several hours, and no one was ever charged or cited, according to the woman's lawyer. The hearing-impaired toddler lost his hearing aids during the tussle.

The Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest police labor union, posted a Facebook picture two days later showing Young's toddler in the arms of a Philadelphia police officer just after the incident.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:40 pm

Very brave, police officers.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Well, to be fair to the officers, she was clearly guilty of being black while in charge of a motor vehicle... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:05 am

They didn't shoot her. She should be thankful.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:33 pm

So we've got the creep who was busting out windows before the demonstration got going, and now this enthusiastic gun owner. Two who got caught. But that would be all, surely.

'Texas man, 24, admits shooting at Minneapolis police station during riot'
A man who had been part of a far-right group that wants to foment a civil war admitted in federal court Thursday he traveled to Minneapolis from the San Antonio area to sow chaos after the police murder of George Floyd.

Ivan Harrison Hunter, 24, of Boerne, Texas, pleaded guilty to a single count of rioting. The charge carries a maximum prison term of five years.

Hunter admitted that he fired 13 rounds from an AK-47-style rifle into the 3rd precinct police station on May 28, 2020, as other rioters looted and set fire to the building after police evacuated. No one was struck by the gunfire.

After shooting at the building, Hunter was recorded on video high-fiving another person and yelling "Justice for Floyd!" Investigators matched the skull mask Hunter was wearing in the video to a photo on his Facebook page.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Ahmaud Arbery verdict: three men found guilty of murdering Black man as he jogged

The three white men who chased and killed Ahmaud Arbery have been found guilty of murder, following his 2020 shooting death in south Georgia, which led to a wave of racial justice protest and a resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement in the US.

Travis McMicheal, his father Greg McMichael and their neighbour William “Roddie” Bryan were each convicted for murdering Arbery, who was unarmed, after pursuing him in February last year and claiming, without evidence, he had been involved in a spate of burglaries in their neighborhood.

The verdict was announced after two weeks of testimony and evidence in the closely watched trial, during which the McMichaels had claimed the shooting was an act of self-defense and that they had attempted to enact a citizen’s arrest...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ict-guilty

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 pm

What is the USA coming to? Police deal effectively with vicious rotten rioters, and the rioters get a payout from the government. ;ob;

'NYC agrees to multimillion dollar settlement compensating protesters corralled by police officers at 2020 George Floyd protest'
New York City has agreed to a multimillion dollar settlement in the case of protesters corralled by cops during George Floyd demonstrations in the summer of 2020.

A federal judge has to approve the settlement, which is related to charges police boxed in hundreds of protesters who were peacefully demonstrating in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx. It's a practice the lawyers describe as "kettling."

The city agreed to pay each of the defendants $21,500, plus an additional $2,000 if they were arrested and ticketed. As many as 200 or 300 protestors will have the right to join the suit and get the payout, the lawyers said.

"There may be others that choose not to join in the class because their injuries are so much more severe," Rickner said.

"Hopefully what happened here today shows them there are consequences and the people that live in this neighborhood deserve the same respect and treatment as people that live in other parts of New York City," Clarke said.

The mayor's office referred CBS2 to the NYPD, which issued a statement insisting that since the summer of 2020, cops have been retrained in how to deal with large-scale protests.