The Trump Pandemic

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Trump Pandemic

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:22 am

It would be cheaper than here, for sure!

And one mustn't stint on liberty!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:58 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:06 pm
rainbow wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:52 am
rainbow wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:27 pm
rainbow wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:14 pm

It could be even worse than that. How exactly are they going to stop it? They don't seem to want to do it now after it's killed so many people.
We might need to check again in two weeks time and see how the Tulsa event bent the curve.
:worried: Does seem as if the cases are increasing, 128 443 deaths and no sign of peaking. :worried:
The good news is that the projection has gone down to only 175 000 deaths by October.
Blew past that one, didn’t we. Are the current rate the US will hit 200K somewhere around September 11. That’s the equivalent of 67 9/11s since February.
Latest prediction is 410 500 by Jan 1.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... &tab=trend
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:38 pm

JimC wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:22 am

I can imagine that, given your laws, but the irony of our ammo shortage is it was caused by the ardent defenders of freedom who bought so many guns when Obama was President.

Thanks Obama! :dance:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Ammunition manufacturers must be working overtime, and laughing all the way to the bank...
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 am

Impact Guns has 9mm at $15.99 for 50, which is an OK price. 5.56 is stupid expensive, but 7.62 is still marginally affordable.

If this keeps up I'll have to buy an AK.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:56 am

Damn, you can still find an AK online for $900. I am surprised.

Wow, found a Romanian built for $560. Mrs. Lak owes me a purchase since she got her $600 spinning wheel. The more expensive one is a real, Ruskie Kalashnikov, though.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:49 am

Joe wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:38 pm
JimC wrote:

I can imagine that, given your laws...
Our laws do not affect the price of ammo. The fact that local small arms ammunitions factories have all but disappeared, does. One of the few remaining local manufacturers, Winchester, has closed its production plant in 2018. Just like car manufacture, the economics of scale just don't exist any more. From what I can tell Australian Ammunition, a subsidiary of the multinational Thales Group, 26.4% of which is owned by the French government, 25.3% by Dassault Aviation, and 48.3% by general shareholders, is the only remaining company still manufacturing small arms ammunition in Australia, and it too suffers from the economy of scale. So we buy most of our ammo from overseas suppliers, which means we pay whatever everyone else pays, plus freight charges Europeans and Americans don't have to bear.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:15 pm

laklak wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:48 am
Impact Guns has 9mm at $15.99 for 50, which is an OK price. 5.56 is stupid expensive, but 7.62 is still marginally affordable.

If this keeps up I'll have to buy an AK.
A couple of AKs and five high capacity magazines for each will come in handy, but you're not going to get your arse back to Eswatini by the time the second civil war starts, are you? Initial skirmishes are scheduled to start some time in November. They'll escalate to full-on battles in a matter of a few months. I suggest you consider investing in as many RPGs as you can afford. Thousands of like-minded people will fight on your side, of course, but they'll be no match against the AA (Antifa Army) unless you have something more than machines that go "ping".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:31 pm

You need to get on the boat and mine the surrounding waters, Lak!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm

I'm fucked on the boat, it's out of the water till December or January. I do have a 5.56 assault rifle and a couple thousand rounds, so I'm good there.

Maybe, with a little luck, the election will be contested and I'l have time to get her back in the water.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Politicians are all good at performative ignorance, but American Republican politicians do seem to develop a particular knack.

'GOP uses debunked theory to downplay COVID-19 death toll'
Top Republicans are seeking to downplay the heavy toll of the coronavirus, in part by pointing to a conspiracy theory that the number of deaths is much lower.

President Trump, along with Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) and Rep. Roger Marshall (R-Kan.), who are both in competitive Senate races, have all pointed in recent days to the widely debunked theory that COVID-19 deaths in the United States total just 10,000 instead of the more than 180,000 recorded by health officials.

The speculative remarks come at a time when about 1,000 people a day are dying from the virus, providing a grim backdrop to the final sprint to Election Day. Trump, meanwhile, has been trying to project an optimistic message, frequently pointing to rapid progress toward a vaccine and saying he thinks the virus is “going away.”

The Trump administration has also increasingly emphasized protecting vulnerable populations like the elderly, rather than putting a focus on a broader strategy of trying to suppress the disease overall.

The discredited theory in question points to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) webpage stating the coronavirus was listed as the sole cause for only 6 percent of deaths from the virus. However, that does not mean the other 94 percent of people did not die from coronavirus. Instead, it means that either another factor directly caused by coronavirus was also listed, like respiratory failure, or that there was an underlying condition like obesity or diabetes that is not necessarily fatal on its own but that heightens the risks from coronavirus.

The 6 percent figure has been seized on, however, to minimize the death toll. Last weekend, Trump retweeted a post from the user Mel Q, who is also a believer in the QAnon conspiracy theory, saying only about 9,000 people had “actually” died from coronavirus. Twitter later removed the tweet for violating its rules.

Ernst likewise said Monday that she is “so skeptical” of case and death counts from coronavirus, later adding, according to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier: “They’re thinking there may be 10,000 or less deaths that were actually singularly COVID-19...I’m just really curious. It would be interesting to know that.”

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:49 am
Joe wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:38 pm
JimC wrote:

I can imagine that, given your laws...
Our laws do not affect the price of ammo. The fact that local small arms ammunitions factories have all but disappeared, does. One of the few remaining local manufacturers, Winchester, has closed its production plant in 2018. Just like car manufacture, the economics of scale just don't exist any more. From what I can tell Australian Ammunition, a subsidiary of the multinational Thales Group, 26.4% of which is owned by the French government, 25.3% by Dassault Aviation, and 48.3% by general shareholders, is the only remaining company still manufacturing small arms ammunition in Australia, and it too suffers from the economy of scale. So we buy most of our ammo from overseas suppliers, which means we pay whatever everyone else pays, plus freight charges Europeans and Americans don't have to bear.
Interesting, thanks.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:03 pm

My days of buying ammo (.22) are long gone. The bunnies are safe from me these days...
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:36 am

Same here. I don't have the time anymore and the butcher has bunnies in his freezer anytime I want some.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:32 am

Iowa allowing games with no audience: high numbers of infected students
Iowa State faces fairly high numbers both on campus and regionally. In the second week of class, Iowa State reported 503 positive tests out of 1,749 for a rate of 28.8%.

That has an impact on campus decisions. Iowa State President Wendy Wintersteen announced last week that a plan to allow 25,000 people to watch the Cyclones’ home football game in person next Saturday had been abandoned. The game against Louisiana will be held without fans, Wintersteen said.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds drew attention Wednesday to high numbers of infection in Johnson and Story Counties, which are home to Iowa and Iowa State, respectively. And she touched specifically on college students’ return to campuses.

From Aug. 2 to 8, she said, Johnson County reported 712 new cases, 18.8% of which came from people age 19 to 24. But with college back in session, she said, the number of new cases rose the week of Aug. 23-29 to 1,390, and a whopping 74% of those were among people age 19 to 24.

Similarly, she said, Story County reported that 78% of its 783 cases that week were among people 19 to 24.

Reynolds has closed bars in Johnson, Story and four other counties. She said last week that rising numbers put more vulnerable people, such as older adults, at risk. Further, increasing numbers threaten health care workers and other essential employees, she said.
posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=54935#preview
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...