The Coronavirus Thread

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri May 13, 2022 10:14 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:51 am
In my case, yesterday was horrendous. Must have been horizontal for 20 hours. Running a temp, spiking at 37.5°C. Sweats. Shiverings. Achy joints, teeth, hair, balls. And an absolute funking epic headache that painkillers wouldn't touch. Today it seems more like it was 2 days ago - plus a dry cough, v runny nose, and a weird chemically taste in my mouth I can't get rid of. I've been awake for four hours now and am only just starting to dip - which is a vast improvement on yesterday when I was only managing about 20 minutes at a time. Hate to think what this would have been like without my two jabs and a booster.
Keep improving!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 13, 2022 10:44 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:51 pm
I stopped reading at "not remotely done", that's delusional.
The worst might be over, globally, and our vaccines and other measures have been effective, if not totally so (e.g. Brian, fully vaccinated but still got really sick). But the tail of this pandemic could still be long, and continue to inflict people with long covid, and to put pressure on health systems. Developing even better vaccines, and treatments for long covid is a must in the months and years to come
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri May 13, 2022 10:51 pm

That sounds reasonable to me.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri May 13, 2022 11:37 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:51 pm
That sounds reasonable to me.
That's me alright - Mr Reasonable... :levi:

Unless I run out of gin! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat May 14, 2022 12:57 am

Sean Hayden wrote: ↑Sat May 14, 2022 7:51 am
I stopped reading at "not remotely done", that's delusional.
Your error....it's not remotely done. That's like "let's live with the Ukraine war"..it's not remotely done either.

Maybe yanks are inured to human death and suffering given the daily gun deaths. :fp:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat May 14, 2022 1:19 am

I still think the way it was presented doesn't fairly portray risk to most people. We have reached many "ends" already in this thing.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon May 16, 2022 11:41 am

How Australia Saved Thousands of Lives While Covid Killed a Million Americans

The United States and Australia share similar demographics, but their pandemic death rates point to very different cultures of trust.

But Australia’s Covid playbook produced results because of something more easily felt than analyzed at a news conference. Dozens of interviews, along with survey data and scientific studies from around the world, point to a lifesaving trait that Australians displayed from the top of government to the hospital floor, and that Americans have shown they lack: trust, in science and institutions, but especially in one another.

When the pandemic began, 76 percent of Australians said they trusted the health care system (compared with around 34 percent of Americans), and 93 percent of Australians reported being able to get support in times of crisis from people living outside their household.

In global surveys, Australians were more likely than Americans to agree that “most people can be trusted” — a major factor, researchers found, in getting people to change their behavior for the common good to combat Covid, by reducing their movements, wearing masks and getting vaccinated. Partly because of that compliance, which kept the virus more in check, Australia’s economy has grown faster than America’s through the pandemic.

But of greater import, interpersonal trust — a belief that others would do what was right not just for the individual but for the community — saved lives. Trust mattered more than smoking prevalence, health spending or form of government, a study of 177 countries in The Lancet recently found. And in Australia, the process of turning trust into action began early.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/15/worl ... eaths.html

--this NY Times piece was shared in the Houston Chronicle today. There will be plenty of pissed off people. --good

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon May 16, 2022 12:03 pm

Oh joy
Regarding variants of concern BA.4 & BA.5
Prof. Christina Pagel* @chrischirp

We've never had less data in the face of rising new variants.

The European CDC designated Omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5 as variants of concern on Friday. They expect a new wave in Europe in the next 2 months. 1/4

Continues @ twitter link

Prof. Christina Pagel @chrischirp

Director @UCL_CORU, Prof Operational Research, passionate about health care, women in STEMs. Ex Harkness Fellow. Member of @independentsage. Tweets personal
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 16, 2022 12:09 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:41 am
How Australia Saved Thousands of Lives While Covid Killed a Million Americans

The United States and Australia share similar demographics, but their pandemic death rates point to very different cultures of trust.

But Australia’s Covid playbook produced results because of something more easily felt than analyzed at a news conference. Dozens of interviews, along with survey data and scientific studies from around the world, point to a lifesaving trait that Australians displayed from the top of government to the hospital floor, and that Americans have shown they lack: trust, in science and institutions, but especially in one another.

When the pandemic began, 76 percent of Australians said they trusted the health care system (compared with around 34 percent of Americans), and 93 percent of Australians reported being able to get support in times of crisis from people living outside their household.

In global surveys, Australians were more likely than Americans to agree that “most people can be trusted” — a major factor, researchers found, in getting people to change their behavior for the common good to combat Covid, by reducing their movements, wearing masks and getting vaccinated. Partly because of that compliance, which kept the virus more in check, Australia’s economy has grown faster than America’s through the pandemic.

But of greater import, interpersonal trust — a belief that others would do what was right not just for the individual but for the community — saved lives. Trust mattered more than smoking prevalence, health spending or form of government, a study of 177 countries in The Lancet recently found. And in Australia, the process of turning trust into action began early.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/15/worl ... eaths.html

--this NY Times piece was shared in the Houston Chronicle today. There will be plenty of pissed off people. --good
Despite this, Australia's case rate is the highest in the developed world now. We've totally given up. Restrictions? Too fucking hard. She'll be right, mate..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon May 16, 2022 1:18 pm

Maybe because we're still testing and only deaths and ICU count. Perhaps if you actually provided a comparative link might be useful.

As at 3pm on 11 May 2022, a total of 6,384,764 cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Australia, including 7,613 deaths, and approximately 352,195 active cases.

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/pub ... 1-may-2022

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 16, 2022 5:07 pm

What's the excess deaths rate?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon May 16, 2022 6:36 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:07 pm
Beats me, but I hope you're on the mend! :pbjt:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 17, 2022 4:51 am

Joe wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:07 pm
Beats me, but I hope you're on the mend! :pbjt:
Up and down. Had a better Sunday than Monday. Still positive today, though now it's feeling more like regular flu.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 17, 2022 4:51 am

That art of conversation isn't your strongest suit is it? :tea:

Frank Zappa