The Coronavirus Thread

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 am

Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:22 am

Looking forward to Lockdown II. The first one was hilarious. Such fun.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:28 am

I have seen this already but it talks about surgical masks! It is not scientific evidence as it makes a lot of assumptions. Where is the double blind on normal people using masks? This was rejected by the RIVM for these reasons. What goes on in a lab has little to do with real life. Social distancing is far more important as is ventilation. If the room is too full dont go in.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:28 am
I have seen this already but it talks about surgical masks! It is not scientific evidence as it makes a lot of assumptions. Where is the double blind on normal people using masks? This was rejected by the RIVM for these reasons. What goes on in a lab has little to do with real life. Social distancing is far more important as is ventilation. If the room is too full dont go in.
It's not possible to have double-blind studies for such a question. Yes, distance and good ventilation is important. But people need to go shopping and use public transport. Look at the sources in the video I presented. The links in the description have plenty of studies that show that community masks work even better than surgical masks against aerosols.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am

NineBerry wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
It's not possible to have double-blind studies for such a question. Yes, distance and good ventilation is important. But people need to go shopping and use public transport. Look at the sources in the video I presented. The links in the description have plenty of studies that show that community masks work even better than surgical masks against aerosols.
What is a study based on if you cant run trials? Assumptions. Do you think that all vaccines are based on assumptions? No they are not so why is it not the case with non-surgical masks? It creates false security.
The actual chance of dying from only a pure Covid19 infection is highly unlikely but to impose such measures onto people for no good reason is totally wrong as a "just in case" measure.
You should not make claims without founded evidence. The use of masks is always conveniently forgotten about as well. Disposable masks are just that and how many do it?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
I have seen this already but it talks about surgical masks! It is not scientific evidence as it makes a lot of assumptions.
All scientific evidence requires assumptions.
Where is the double blind on normal people using masks?
Where is the double blind study that shows that parachutes are effective?
Social distancing is far more important as is ventilation. If the room is too full dont go in.
Where is the study that proves this?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

How do you test whether safety jackets work using double-blind trials? You can't. Is evolution not science because it doesn't use trials? Read up on the linked resources. This is proper science.

You need double blind trials for vaccines and drugs because human beings are very complex and diverse systems. How they react to something going into the body can be very complex. For masks, the only question is how much droplets of which sizes can go through them or around them and where they go afterwards. That's a lot simpler than the inner workings of the human body.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Social distancing is far more important as is ventilation.
Fairy data. Where's your scientific evidence for this?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:58 am
NineBerry wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
What is a study based on if you cant run trials? Assumptions.
Observation, meta-analysis, etc. Perhaps you don't really understand how science works after all.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:11 am

rainbow wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I have seen this already but it talks about surgical masks! It is not scientific evidence as it makes a lot of assumptions.
All scientific evidence requires assumptions.
Where is the double blind on normal people using masks?
Where is the double blind study that shows that parachutes are effective?
Social distancing is far more important as is ventilation. If the room is too full dont go in.
Where is the study that proves this?
You dont read much do you? What has parachute to do with a non-surgical face mask? Another stupid comparison but you are good at those. A good comparison is between masks and vaccines as both are trying prevent the spread of the same disease.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am

The point is that some things are so fucking obvious that you don't need double-blind trials (even if you could have them).

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am

NineBerry wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am
How do you test whether safety jackets work using double-blind trials? You can't. Is evolution not science because it doesn't use trials? Read up on the linked resources. This is proper science.

You need double blind trials for vaccines and drugs because human beings are very complex and diverse systems. How they react to something going into the body can be very complex. For masks, the only question is how much droplets of which sizes can go through them or around them and where they go afterwards. That's a lot simpler than the inner workings of the human body.
What is the similarity with a safety jacket and a face mask? What disease is involved with a safety jacket?
These stupid comparisons are a waste of time.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:26 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:14 am
The point is that some things are so fucking obvious that you don't need double-blind trials (even if you could have them).
Yup, he would jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute because they haven't been proven by double blind trials to be 100% effective. What is obvious to the rest of us seems to escape him.
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:29 am

You can't do a double blind study because everyone can see whether a person is wearing a mask or not and what kind. So, it' cannot be "blind". Also, you will not do a study with a control group because it would be ethically unthinkable to explicitly bring people into contact with infectious persons. However it is feasible to compare after the fact similar locations in similar situations with different mask regulations. And that happened. Different cities in Germany had different rulings on masks in comparable situations and there were studies that showed that the cities with mask mandates had fewer infections. You have been told about this before.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 am

No, that's wrong. It's actually dependent on moustaches. Cities with higher moustache counts had lower infections. Where's your scientific evidence proving this wrong?!