The Coronavirus Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:13 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:47 am
I'm far more likely to get Covid in India than here in Oz. And India is a place I really don't want to get it.
Could you pay for a top-up booster before you travel?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:33 pm

It's all free in the Marxist paradise of Oz... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:26 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:33 pm
Aye comrade.

But pErvy was on about banking his booster until closer to his India trip. Why not have a booster when it's offered and then get another before he travels? I was fully vaxxed when I got COVID last May - and it's been a long road back to what I'd consider full fitness, even though the infection was over within a month and I was nominally recovered. It would be a shame if pErvy got a hard dose while he was putting his vax off for later.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:26 pm
JimC wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:33 pm
Aye comrade.

But pErvy was on about banking his booster until closer to his India trip. Why not have a booster when it's offered and then get another before he travels?
Yeah I'm wondering if this is an option. I'm not sure you can just get shots willy nilly here. Seems to be only available when the dictators say they are.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 pm

Yeah far better to get the booster immediately if within a couple months of travel.
You can delay getting the booster...you just have to be elegible.
We are going over in an hour. :prof:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:24 pm

Yeah, I'm sick of the voices in my head from the 5G towers getting fainter and fainter... Time for a jab! :tea:
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:31 am

Not that this will end the dispute. Personally I have never favored the 'lab leak' hypothesis, but acknowledge that the evidence available is insufficient to make a solid determination. However the fact that previous novel viruses have been shown to have jumped to humans from other animals is definitely a hint. Barring evidence in its favor, parsimony would dispense with the extra step of the lab.

'The Strongest Evidence Yet That an Animal Started the Pandemic'
For three years now, the debate over the origins of the coronavirus pandemic has ping-ponged between two big ideas: that SARS-CoV-2 spilled into human populations directly from a wild-animal source, and that the pathogen leaked from a lab. Through a swirl of data obfuscation by Chinese authorities and politicalization within the United States, and rampant speculation from all corners of the world, many scientists have stood by the notion that this outbreak—like most others—had purely natural roots. But that hypothesis has been missing a key piece of proof: genetic evidence from the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, China, showing that the virus had infected creatures for sale there.

This week, an international team of virologists, genomicists, and evolutionary biologists may have finally found crucial data to help fill that knowledge gap. A new analysis of genetic sequences collected from the market shows that raccoon dogs being illegally sold at the venue could have been carrying and possibly shedding the virus at the end of 2019. It’s some of the strongest support yet, experts told me, that the pandemic began when SARS-CoV-2 hopped from animals into humans, rather than in an accident among scientists experimenting with viruses.

“This really strengthens the case for a natural origin,” says Seema Lakdawala, a virologist at Emory University who wasn’t involved in the research. Angela Rasmussen, a virologist involved in the research, told me, “This is a really strong indication that animals at the market were infected. There’s really no other explanation that makes any sense.”

The findings won’t fully silence the entrenched voices on either side of the origins debate. But the new analysis may offer some of the clearest and most compelling evidence that the world will ever get in support of an animal origin for the virus that, in just over three years, has killed nearly 7 million people worldwide.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am

Aye. The current Avian flu virus has been found in seals, and examples of cross-species infection from respiratory viruses is well documented.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:48 am

But how can we pin the blame on Fauci if it has natural origins?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:59 am

Raccoon dog is new host candidate.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:22 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:14 pm
Q: Can we say for sure that the pandemic started in China?
I think so. On the other hand, I don’t assume that it started at the food market in Wuhan. It is more likely to have started where the animal – the intermediate host – was bred.

Q: What do we know about that intermediate host – is it the “poor pangolin”, as it’s come to be known?
A: I don’t see any reason to assume that the virus passed through pangolins on its way to humans. There is an interesting piece of information from the old Sars literature. That virus was found in civet cats, but also in raccoon dogs – something the media overlooked. Raccoon dogs are a massive industry in China, where they are bred on farms and caught in the wild for their fur. If somebody gave me a few hundred thousand bucks and free access to China to find the source of the virus, I would look in places where raccoon dogs are bred.
Interesting interview with Christian Droste
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -interview
Christian Drosten knew this all along!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:25 pm

And so did the Dutch

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:54 pm

Frank Zappa

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:04 pm

crisper gone wrong :whisper:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-20/ ... /102105340
A human trial has been launched into the University of Queensland's (UQ) second generation COVID vaccine, more than two years after the original technology was abandoned amid patients falsely testing positive to HIV.

UQ scientists have re-engineered the molecular clamp technology and need 70 healthy volunteers aged 18 to 50 to test its effectiveness as a COVID vaccine compared to the approved Novavax shot.

Although the trial will assess the technology – dubbed Clamp2 — as a COVID vaccine, the researchers say if it's successful, it's more likely to be used to protect people during future pandemics and in jabs for existing viruses, such as respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).

Project leader Keith Chappell said the scientists were working on using the technology to create vaccines for "a range of viruses".

"Our primary purpose is not to bring another COVID vaccine to market," Associate Professor Chappell said.

"The vaccines that are out there are working extremely well and keeping a lot of people out of hospitals.

"This isn't going to be the last time the world faces a pandemic and next time around, we want to … make sure there are doses available as quickly as possible and they're safe, and they can protect Australians and people around the world.

"If we can show that this technology is safe and that it's effective, the next time around we can ramp up extremely quickly and get vaccines to the people that need them in an emergency."

Professor Chappell said he was "extremely confident" in the potential of Clamp2.

"I hope to one day save some lives and produce a vaccine that can make a difference," he said.
And my gin!