The Coronavirus Thread

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:22 am

QLD is set to open on December 17, having had only about 2000 cases in the whole pandemic and a handful of deaths. This is a failure, according to Scot.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:32 am

Define a Covid death or a case of infection? The definition was never agreed upon. Your lousy vaccination rates? We are at 90% for total vaccinations and nobody has to be coerced.
Next showing that crummy artificial Cairns lagoon does not help. Where are the lovely beaches, you know the ones that are safe? Your lovely real restaurants? All that lovely cycle infrastructure so you dont need private transport. Or the marvellous public transport system. There aren't even pavements to walk on.
The lovely parks where it is safe to sunbathe. It is a dump living off and destroying one of the biggest natural reefs in the world.
Do you macdoc go around your garden in evening picking up the cane toads, another Oz mistake, and dropping into a freezer cabinet to kill them.
Go and make another 1000km journey on your bike making your carbon foot even bigger than it is.
Do you still use that wonderful airport where my camera was nicked off the x-ray conveyor belt. That was the best moment off the trip when we finally sat in our business class seats to fly home with the full knowledge that we would not see Queensland again.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:36 am

Guys, stop arguing. None of your countries can beat Germany. We started two world wars. Who's gonna beat that?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:21 am

UK daily cases up c.9000 on last week.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am

Dropping two nukes?
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:32 am

macdoc wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:26 am
Dropping two nukes?
And permanently nixing democratically elected governments?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 pm

The UK has reported its highest number of Covid deaths for seven months, with 223 deaths recorded within 28 days of a positive test for the virus.

The daily death rate, which has not been as high since 9 March this year, brought the weekly toll to 911, a near 15% rise on the week...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ince-march
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 pm

So, is the plan just to follow this thing around indefinitely?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:48 pm

Well the test will be around so we can distinguish covid from flu year after year.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:12 pm
So, is the plan just to follow this thing around indefinitely?
A very interesting article from the ABC on just these sorts of questions:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021 ... /100549816
The COVID-19 pandemic won't end with a bang, but more likely a fizzle — and a long, protracted one at that.

"I don't know if we're going to wake up one day and say, 'Oh, it's over now,'" says Eddie Holmes, an evolutionary virologist at the University of Sydney.

"I think what will happen is that gradually, with time, we will think about this disease in a different way."

Most experts agree that eradicating COVID-19 is now almost certainly out of the question.

Even with sky-high vaccination rates — which, globally, we're a long way off — it's unlikely we'll be able to halt SARS-CoV-2 transmission entirely, University of Queensland virologist Ian Mackay says.

"We've got so much virus overwhelming us that most vaccines would struggle to stop infections from happening, no matter how good they are."

But even in the absence of herd immunity, vaccines considerably reduce severe disease, meaning fewer people will be hospitalised, and fewer still will die.

Over time COVID-19, like other infectious diseases such as the flu, will become endemic — a permanent, albeit more manageable, part of our lives, Professor Holmes says.

"In countries with really high rates of vaccination, the virus is still going to be there," he said.

"The critical thing, though, is that we massively reduce the burden of disease. That's what it's all about."
The rest of the article is well worth reading.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Applying epidemiology to individual circumstances is fraught. One immune compromised associated thinks N95 masks will be needed indefinitely in public where there is ANY Delta in a local community for him.

Partner ( who has good expertise in this ) thinks if any Delta shows in Cairns we will hunker down, one shopping trip a week, very limited outings while there are any cases in the community at all. There are still too many breakthrough cases. If I get it then I have a fair chance of not surviving despite good genes. Tachicardia, easily out of breath, overweight and allergies that impact breathing at any time.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 am

If a community can get to between 90 and 95 % fully vaccinated (which may be the limit, given the hold-outs), and also arrange booster shots where needed (maybe by testing antibody levels), then the number of people experiencing symptoms sever enough to warrant hospitalisation should be very, very low...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:12 pm

Don't sue for vaccines even in the US. Vaccines have special protection.
Indeed, the overwhelming majority of all litigants under what's known as the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program have not succeeded. According to program data, 29 claims have been paid for injuries stemming from other vaccines since the tribunal’s inception in 2010. (Ten additional claims won approval but no compensation.) The other 455 claims – 92% – were denied or otherwise deemed ineligible for review.
To be clear, an experience like McFadden described is extremely rare. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in May said that out of 8.7 million people who had gotten the J&J jab, only 28 suffered the complication known as thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome. Per the CDC, there is a "plausible causal association" between the vaccine and the blood clots.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/governmen ... l-T1YHLemY
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:39 pm

Scottish government sent me £130 Pandemic Relief cheque today.
Probably because I voted Communist at the last parliamentary election eh?

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Did you have a communist candidate?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".