The Coronavirus Thread

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Nobody knew that herd mentality wouldn't be a great approach. In fact, many people are saying that this study has it wrong.

'Herd immunity an impractical strategy, study finds'
Achieving herd immunity to COVID-19 is an impractical public health strategy, according to a new model developed by University of Georgia scientists. The study recently appeared in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Controlling COVID-19 has presented public health policymakers with a conundrum:

How to prevent overwhelming their health care infrastructure, while avoiding major societal disruption? Debate has revolved around two proposed strategies. One school of thought aims for "suppression," eliminating transmission in communities through drastic social distancing measures, while another strategy is "mitigation," aiming to achieve herd immunity by permitting the infection of a sufficiently large proportion of the population while not exceeding health care capacity.

"The herd immunity concept is tantalizing because it spells the end of the threat of COVID-19," said Toby Brett, a postdoctoral associate at the Odum School of Ecology and the study's lead author. "However, because this approach aims to avoid disease elimination, it would need a constant adjustment of lockdown measures to ensure enough--but not too many--people are being infected at a particular point in time. Because of these challenges, the herd immunity strategy is actually more like attempting to walk a barely visible tightrope."

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Why do you hate freedom?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:56 pm

Stealing rEv's best lines again, Sean?

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:51 pm

:biggrin:

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:34 am

NL.JPG
Looks like the anti-mask wearing sentiment of the Dutch isn't working.

:ask: I wonder when their arrogant, lying government will change their mind? :ask:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:58 pm

French tourists are the worst tourists
Around 100 domestic cases of COVID-19 that have arisen in Iceland the past few days can be traced to a pair of French tourists that came to the country in mid-August, Vísir reports. The two were put into isolation after testing positive for the novel coronavirus, but broke regulations. Three different strains of SARS-CoV-2 are responsible for Iceland’s 281 active cases.

In the last five days, 196 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Iceland. Over half of the new infections can be traced to the Irishman pub and Brewdog restaurant, both in downtown Reykjavík. “Most of the infections in recent days originate from these two places. These are probably around 100 people or just over that,” Chief Epidemiologist Þórólfur Guðnason stated.

Þórólfur added that there are three strains of the virus currently circulating. One is the so-called “Akranes” strain, while another is the “French” strain that arrived with the aforementioned tourists in August. The French strain is the strain that infected patrons of the two establishments in Reykjavík, who account for most of the country’s recent cases.

“I have information that it was difficult to get them to follow instructions,” Þórólfur stated of the two French tourists, who were put into isolation after testing positive. “I really cannot say more.”
https://www.icelandreview.com/society/c ... -over-100/

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Living next to the USains ...bound to get infected with idiocy....
How right-wing extremists, libertarians and evangelicals built Quebec's movement against COVID-19 restrictions

They may appear to make strange bedfellows, but experts say they share some fundamental values
Jonathan Montpetit · CBC News · Posted: Sep 25, 2020 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5737040
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:24 pm

Mutation helps spread
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... rc404=true
but is not more lethal.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Our 14 day rolling average for new cases is steadily decreasing, some restrictions are due to be lifted by Monday, but a lot will stay until that rolling average falls below 5 new cases per day.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm

What I don't get at all is how there seems to be little coming out on the general infection rates. There was something that I read that said nearly 30% of New Yorkers had antibodies, but I can't find that.
Surely widespread antibody testing should be in place by now?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:40 pm

Tests were not reliable enough.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:43 pm

Prove it. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:58 pm

rainbow wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:23 pm
What I don't get at all is how there seems to be little coming out on the general infection rates. There was something that I read that said nearly 30% of New Yorkers had antibodies, but I can't find that.
Surely widespread antibody testing should be in place by now?
There is. There's studies in certain locations and there's studies on blood donors.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Test to determine if you were previously infected

Serological test
This test determines if there are antibodies against the novel coronavirus in your blood. It involves taking a blood sample. At this time, this test is only used for research purposes by selected laboratories, to see if people are producing antibodies against the novel coronavirus. These tests are used for research at a population level to see whether people in the Netherlands are building up immunity against the virus.

Rapid diagnostic tests are not reliable!

Planning to buy a serological test or ‘rapid diagnostic test’ from a commercial provider to see if you already had the virus? That is not a good idea. There are many of these ‘rapid diagnostic tests’ on the market. Research shows that these tests are not reliable (results published in Dutch). So far, none of the rapid diagnostic tests examined by RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment are suitable for diagnostics in individual patients or for home use. For that reason, RIVM is cautious about processing requests for evaluation of rapid diagnostic tests. The Health and Youth Care Inspectorate (IGJ) has also published a report about this. More info at IGJ. The World Health Organization also discourages the use of rapid diagnostic tests.
https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronaviru ... r-covid-19
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:09 pm

You can't believe the NVM - they've lied about the Scamdemic from the off. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT