Lisa Page Speaks Up

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Lisa Page Speaks Up

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 pm

One of Trump's targets (he still brings her up at rallies and in his incoherent tweets) has decided to give some of her side of the story.

'Lisa Page Speaks: "There’s No Fathomable Way I Have Committed Any Crime at All"'
On Dec. 9, the Justice Department Inspector General report into Trump’s charges that the FBI spied on his 2016 campaign will come out. Leaked press accounts indicate that the report will exonerate Page of the allegation that she acted unprofessionally or showed bias against Trump.

The Inspector General’s office had guaranteed Page and Strzok that the affair would not be made public. But then, The Washington Post included the affair in its story. And in a slip of a second, Page goes from being an anonymous government lawyer to playing an unwilling and recurring role in Trump’s twisted tweetstorms.

“So now I have to deal with the aftermath of having the most wrong thing I’ve ever done in my life become public,” she says. “And that’s when I become the source of the president’s personal mockery and insults. Because before this moment in time, there’s not a person outside of my small legal community who knows who I am or what I do. I’m a normal public servant, just a G-15, standard-level lawyer, like every other lawyer at the Justice Department.”

And despite how awful that felt, Page had no idea it was going to get much, much worse.

“After this comes out, there's a firestorm, of course, and now the president and the Republicans on the Hill latch on to this, and it becomes about political bias,” she explains. “A week or two later, Rod Rosenstein [then the deputy attorney general] was scheduled to testify on the Hill. And the night before his testimony, the Justice Department spokesperson, Sarah Flores, calls the beat reporters into the Justice Department. This is late at night on a weekday. Calls them in to provide a cherry-picked selection of my text messages to review and report on in advance of Rod Rosenstein going to the Hill the next morning.”

Why does she think the administration released her text messages?

“You’d have to ask Sarah Flores,” she says. “I can tell you that the reporters there that night were told that they weren’t allowed to source them to the Justice Department, and that they weren’t allowed to copy or remove them, just take notes. That’s what I know.”

Sarah Isgur Flores has left the administration and referred questions to the Justice Department. The department declined to comment.

As Politico noted at the time, “The DOJ decision to release the text messages to the media and lawmakers before the IG report has drawn criticism from outside the department.” Ben Wittes wrote on the Lawfare blog, “Rosenstein here has, at a minimum, contributed to that circus—at the expense of his own employees. In throwing a career FBI agent and career FBI lawyer to the wolves by authorizing the release to the public of their private text messages—without any finding that they had done anything wrong—he once again sent a message to his workforce that he is not the sort of man with whom you want to share your foxhole.”

Page felt abandoned by the FBI and Justice because of the release of the messages and because the bureau issued no statement defending her and Strzok. “So things get worse,” she continues. “And of course, you know, those texts were selected for their political impact. They lack a lot of context. Many of them aren’t even about him or me. We’re not given an opportunity to provide any context. In a lot of those texts we were talking about other people like our family members or articles we had sent each other.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Lisa Page Speaks Up

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Now, correct me if I'm wrong - but the DOJ is supposed to, you know, among other things, ensure the good order, integrity and independence of the justice system and to ensure a fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans. Or am I being naive?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Now, correct me if I'm wrong - but the DOJ is supposed to, you know, among other things, ensure the good order, integrity and independence of the justice system and to ensure a fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans. Or am I being naive?
Everybody is equal, but some people are more equal than others. Democracy means that sometimes the assholes will be in power, because there are no restrictions as to who can vote, and the stupid who comprise half of the population are the easiesr to influence.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:47 pm

It would appear that the Dominionist toad Bill Barr believes that the good order, integrity, and independence of the US justice system are ensured by interpreting the US Constitution in ways that accrue to the benefit and maximise the power of a Republican president. I think the malevolent gnome Sessions was of a similar mind, given that the DOJ actions described in the Page article took place when he was Attorney General. In this light, 'fair and impartial' are relative terms.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Well, that's what they say, but when the little people get caught up in the machinations of the powerful it all seems to go out the window. They get fed to the wolves by sleazebags like Trump, their defenders abandon them, and the mob gleefully celebrates their mortification. Hopefully, Trump will leave office soon and the mob's attention will move to the next victim, and Page can get something of a private life back.

In the meantime, since she's on Twitter now, she might want to message @MonicaLewinsky for advice.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Rod Rosenstein has defended his decision to release the text messages.

'Rod Rosenstein: DOJ "Not to Blame" for Lisa Page’s Abuse'
Former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said Monday that ex-FBI lawyer Lisa Page should not blame the Department of Justice for the abuse she has suffered at the hands of Donald Trump and his allies.

Rosenstein’s comments come in response to an exclusive interview with Page by Daily Beast contributor Molly Jong-Fast, in which Page blasted the Justice Department for making public texts between her and agent Peter Strzok.

In a statement to The Daily Beast, Rosenstein said that there was no political motive to the disclosure and that he had no choice but to release the texts, which had been the subject of an Inspector General’s investigation into possible political bias.

“To the best of my knowledge, career Department of Justice officials determined in December 2017 that those text messages were NOT personal,” he wrote. “They were official government records related to FBI business and there was no legal basis to withhold them, so they should be released as requested by Congress.”

Rosenstein said the IG’s office had “no objection” to releasing the messages.

“I consistently defended the right of Department of Justice employees to express political opinions and even make political contributions,” he continued. “However, the Inspector General concluded that the FBI employees ‘demonstrated extremely poor judgment and a gross lack of professionalism’ by exchanging messages that ‘appeared to mix political opinions with discussions about the [Hillary Clinton email] and Russia investigations, raising a question as to whether Strzok’s and Page’s political opinions may have affected investigative decisions.’”

“Ms. Page received more opprobrium than she deserved for her mistakes,” he added. “But the Department of Justice is not to blame.”

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:27 pm

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:22 pm

An analysis of recent tweets directed at Lisa Page shows that she is likely the target of a trollbot swarm.

'Is There a Targeted Troll Campaign Against Lisa Page? A Bot Sentinel Investigation'
“Homewrecker.” “Traitor.” “Tramp.” These are just some of the insults flung at Lisa Page—the former FBI lawyer whom President Trump has targeted for her text messages critical of him during the 2016 election—in the almost 4,000 responses to a tweet she posted on Jan. 18.

Phrased like this, such insults might seem unsurprising, if gross. Public figures often receive online abuse, after all. But the replies to Page’s tweet stand out. They likely represent a targeted trollbot attack—one that nobody has reported on until now.

I operate Bot Sentinel, a platform that uses machine learning and artificial intelligence to classify Twitter accounts that exhibit toxic troll-like repetitive behavior—that is, misleading or coordinated posting. Because of my experience, I see a lot of bile from trolls and inauthentic accounts on Twitter. But when my team examined the responses to Page’s tweet, even I was shocked by what we discovered.

You can read our full report on the replies here. What we found was surprising and highly unusual.

More than one in four of the replies to Page’s tweet come from accounts likely to be trollbots. Of the 3,891 accounts that replied to her tweet, a staggering 28.42 percent of them received Bot Sentinel “Trollbot rating” of 75 percent—the threshold for accounts that we classify as “alarming.”

Only the worst accounts receive a rating above 75 percent. Such high a rating is indicative of an inauthentic account that participates in coordinated swarms on a particular tweet or user.

Ordinary accounts can occasionally receive such a high rating if they engage in toxic behavior or share misinformation in a highly repetitive fashion, but those accounts that exceed 75 percent are largely inauthentic.

The proportion of these “alarming” accounts replying to Page’s tweet is highly abnormal. Of the total number of accounts analyzed by Bot Sentinel within a 24-hour time period, on average only 15 percent receive an “alarming” trollbot rating. The proportion among those accounts replying to Page’s tweet is nearly double that: 28 percent of the accounts replying to Page meet the threshold of likely trollbots.

This analysis doesn’t definitively prove a coordinated campaign against Page. However, the suspicious activity associated with her tweet has all the characteristics of such a campaign: a swarm of inauthentic accounts using the same toxic language and repetitive activity. It looks a lot like the coordinated campaigns we witnessed during the 2016 election, when a swarm of accounts would suddenly begin tweeting the same toxic messaging.

All this raises a question: Who is behind the apparent trollbot activity against Page?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm

I wonder what Cunt's rating would have been.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm

Who is behind the apparent trollbot activity against Page?
Probably Russians, since it would be beyond the intellectual capability of most US Trumpians... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:43 pm

JimC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 pm
Who is behind the apparent trollbot activity against Page?
Probably Russians, since it would be beyond the intellectual capability of most US Trumpians... :tea:
That appears to be the implication. So, why?

I imagine a new hire at Internet Research Agency or its successor being given the assignment as a way of assessing their skills. The motivation is to carry on chumming/groundbaiting, I suppose.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:38 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm
I wonder what Cunt's rating would have been.
I don't, "but I can understand why you might". :razzle:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould