Evil Amazon

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Evil Amazon

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 04, 2021 4:56 pm

and all governments have one goal : making us all stupid.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Maybe in your case Svarty, but I was born this way. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue May 04, 2021 5:20 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:56 pm
and all governments have one goal : making us all stupid.
Not all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 am

What was an obvious mistake Amazon fails to act:

New York boy stuns family with $2,618 Amazon order for SpongeBob popsicles
Noah Bryant, four, who is on the autism spectrum, sent a 51-case order of SpongeBob treats to his aunt’s house

A four-year-old New York boy has left his family with a huge bill after he secretly ordered a staggering $2,618 worth of SpongeBob popsicles from online retailer Amazon.

Noah Bryant, from Brooklyn, ordered 51 cases containing a total of 918 popsicles to be shipped to his aunt’s house, the local TV station ABC7 reported.

Amazon said they would not take back the treats, leaving Noah’s mother, social work student Jennifer Bryant, facing the giant bill.

But the story has a happy ending. Amazon now says they are in contact with the Bryant family and will donate the proceeds of the popsicles to a local charity. Meanwhile, a GoFundMe page has raised more than $11,000.

The family says all additional funds will go towards Noah’s education, ABC7 said. Noah is on the autism spectrum.
How can a four year old order on Amazon?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 am

Either that brat is REALLY gifted, or whoever owns the computer on which he passed the order is an absolute moron.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat May 08, 2021 12:56 pm

My phone in my pocket was just one click away from ordering a fake Rollex from Amazon. It was cheap, but I would have had to return it.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat May 08, 2021 1:02 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:45 am
Either that brat is REALLY gifted, or whoever owns the computer on which he passed the order is an absolute moron.
It makes you wonder. Mind you my wife has a grand niece who is five and has her own smart phone which she operates without any problems. (pure madness)
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm

What I don't get is how the kid could find the treats and press the right buttons if he doesn't even read yet.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat May 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Kids can identify signs before they can read. So, Amazon --> picture of product in view history --> Buy Now "sign"

....the quantity is still a bit strange.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat May 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm
What I don't get is how the kid could find the treats and press the right buttons if he doesn't even read yet.
You're assuming the kid set out to order 51 cases of SpongeBob treats and send them to his aunt’s house.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Sat May 08, 2021 3:54 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:28 pm
Svartalf wrote:
You're assuming the kid set out to order 51 cases of SpongeBob treats and send them to his aunt’s house.
How do we know that this kid doesn't have a very particular set of skills, skills acquired over a very long career?
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat May 08, 2021 4:21 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:54 pm
Hermit wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:28 pm
Svartalf wrote:
How do we know that this kid doesn't have a very particular set of skills, skills acquired over a very long career?
We don't. It's just another assumption.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:05 pm

400AFD7B-A78B-481D-BE48-144D3078D956.jpeg
Based on this I would guess that 500 million people buy stuff from Amazon at least weekly.

Probably every American with a credit card goes there at least once a year.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm

In his drive to create the world’s most efficient company, Jeff Bezos discovered what he thought was another inefficiency worth eliminating: hourly employees who spent years working for the same company.

Longtime employees expected to receive raises. They also became less enthusiastic about the work, Amazon’s data suggested. And they were a potential source of internal discontent.

Bezos came to believe that an entrenched blue-collar work force represented “a march to mediocrity,” as David Niekerk, a former Amazon executive who built the company’s warehouse human resources operations, told The Times, as part of an investigative project being published this morning. “What he would say is that our nature as humans is to expend as little energy as possible to get what we want or need.”

In response, Amazon encouraged employee turnover. After three years on the job, hourly workers no longer received automatic raises, and the company offered bonuses to people who quit. It also offered limited upward mobility for hourly workers, preferring to hire managers from the outside.

As is often the case with one of Amazon’s business strategies, it worked.

Turnover at Amazon is much higher than at many other companies — with an annual rate of roughly 150 percent for warehouse workers, The Times’s story discloses, which means that the number who leave the company over a full year is larger than the level of total warehouse employment. The churn is so high that it’s visible in the government’s statistics on turnover in the entire warehouse industry: When Amazon opens a new fulfillment center, local turnover often surges.

My goal in today’s newsletter is to highlight a larger economic trend that Amazon reflects: Many Americans today are strikingly powerless while they are on the job. Their employers treat them as “an expendable work force,” to quote a phrase used by an Amazon employee in the story. They often lack the leverage to demand higher pay or different working conditions.

At Amazon, workers sometimes find out about a new shift only the day before, scrambling their family routine. When workers want to get in touch with human resources by phone, they must navigate an automated process that can resemble an airline customer-service department during a storm. Employees are constantly tracked and evaluated based on their amount of T.O.T., or time off task. One employee who had earned consistent praise was fired for a single bad shift.

Even so, work at an Amazon warehouse is often better than the alternative. JFK8 now pays at least $18.25 an hour, which translates to about $37,000 a year for a full-time worker. After decades in which pay has failed to keep pace with economic growth — except for the upper middle class and above — many blue-collar workers do not have a better option.

By David Leonhardt NYT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Amazon worker to another: "I got fired by the Algorithm again. I'll be back in December when they need everybody."