Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:02 am

I would never live there.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Evil Amazon

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am

I predict that at some point, in the not too distant future, people will be able to apply for citizenship of Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Papa Johns etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:39 am

Or the local lunatic asylum.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:08 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 am
I predict that at some point, in the not too distant future, people will be able to apply for citizenship of Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Papa Johns etc.
That's a classic theme of cyberpunk literature and gaming.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Indeed.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: It's a Jungle in There

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:17 pm

The vote at the Alabama warehouse was decisive: 'No' to the union.

'Union drive at Amazon warehouse fails after bitter campaign'
A contentious unionization drive at an Amazon warehouse in Alabama failed as a vote count Friday showed a wide majority of workers rejecting the move.

In a tally available online, National Labor Relations Board officials recorded a "no" vote majority of 1,798 to 738, a stinging defeat in the push to create the first labor union at a US-based Amazon facility.

The NLRB was still tallying hundreds of disputed and voided ballots in the election which was likely to face challenges from union activists who claimed the US tech and retail giant used unfair tactics.

The results cap a bruising months-long battle that has sparked intense debate over workplace conditions at Amazon, which has more than 800,000 US employees.

Unions and political leaders have argued that Amazon employees face constant pressure and monitoring, with little job protection, highlighting the need for collective bargaining.

Amazon has argued that most of its workers don't want or need a union and that it already provides more than most other employers, with a minimum $15 hourly wage and other benefits.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 pm

Idiots. Mice vote in favor of the cat. It takes hardcore brainwashing to achieve that.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:34 pm

Or toxoplasmosis. :tea:

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:50 am

Despicable, perhaps, but I have little doubt it was all perfectly legal, and the well-paid lawyers of Amazon will likely prevail. Yeah, U S A!

'Union to File Charges Against Amazon Over "Blatantly Illegal Conduct" in Bessemer Election'
As Amazon on Friday received the votes needed to defeat a unionization effort at its Bessemer, Alabama warehouse, the Retail, Wholesale, and Department Store Union announced that it intends to formally object to the election results and file unfair labor practice charges against the tech behemoth for "unlawfully interfering" with employees' right to organize.

"We won't let Amazon's lies, deception, and illegal activities go unchallenged, which is why we are formally filing charges against all of the egregious and blatantly illegal actions taken by Amazon during the union vote," said Stuart Appelbaum, president of RWDSU, the union that attempted to organize the roughly 6,000 Bessemer warehouse workers.

"Amazon knew full well that unless they did everything they possibly could, even illegal activity, their workers would have continued supporting the union," Appelbaum said. "That's why they required all their employees to attend lecture after lecture, filled with mistruths and lies, where workers had to listen to the company demand they oppose the union. That's why they flooded the internet, the airwaves, and social media with ads spreading misinformation. That's why they brought in dozens of outsiders and union-busters to walk the floor of the warehouse."

"Amazon's conduct has been despicable," added Appelbaum. "We demand a comprehensive investigation over Amazon's behavior in corrupting this election."

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:37 am

... merged ...

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:21 am

Amazon Celebrates Union Defeat By Raising All Prices 150% Anyway
https://www.theonion.com/amazon-celebra ... 1846653082
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:20 pm

They should repeat the voting process, as many times as necessary to get the union in, then NEVER let them vote it out.

Just think of how much delicious 'union dues' are up for grabs!
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:20 pm
They should repeat the voting process, as many times as necessary to get the union in, then NEVER let them vote it out.

Just think of how much delicious 'union dues' are up for grabs!
That post is a fine example of ignorance and knee-jerk right wing cheerleading. Amazon is a nasty, but fuck unions.

Onward.

'How Amazon Gerrymandered the Union Vote—And Won'
In all of the coverage about how Amazon and its relentless anti-union campaign defeated the union organizing drive at its fulfillment center in Bessemer, Alabama, one key feature of Amazon's campaign deserves highlighting—namely, Amazon's countless tactics to try and delay the vote and dilute the union's support by adding thousands of workers to the bargaining unit who hadn't previously been involved in the organizing drive. This common tactic, which is straight out of the standard union avoidance playbook, unquestionably played a significant role in defeating the organizing drive. Yet the tactic is perfectly legal under our current labor law.

This is precisely what Amazon did in Bessemer. The Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Workers Union (RWDSU) filed a petition with the NLRB on November 20, 2020, seeking an election to represent a unit of 1,500 full-time and part-time workers at the Bessemer fulfillment center. The petition excluded temporary and seasonal employees from the bargaining unit, which is typical, because these short-term employees do not have the same permanent attachment to the job as regular employees. If Amazon had not intervened, an election would likely have been held among the 1,500-person voting bloc in late December.

But Amazon followed the standard employer playbook and insisted on an NLRB hearing over the proposed bargaining unit. Amazon argued that seasonal employees should be included, which increased the size of the bargaining unit almost fourfold–from 1,500 employees to 5,800 employees.

At this point, the union faced a choice—either agree to Amazon's demand for the much larger unit or endure weeks and months of delay while the parties litigated the bargaining unit issue at the NLRB, with the employer running its anti-union campaign all the while. Not surprisingly, the union agreed to the larger bargaining unit in order to keep the election process moving. But the union then faced the Herculean task of organizing thousands of short-term employees who were now being approached about the organizing campaign for the first time. And we all know the result: Amazon won, and workers lost.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 am

Amazon had sales income of €44bn in Europe in 2020 but paid no corporation tax
Despite lockdown surge the firm’s Luxembourg unit made a €1.2bn loss and therefore paid zero corporation tax

Fresh questions have been raised over Amazon’s tax planning after its latest corporate filings in Luxembourg revealed that the company collected record sales income of €44bn (£38bn) in Europe last year but did not have to pay any corporation tax to the Grand Duchy.

Accounts for Amazon EU Sarl, through which it sells products to hundreds of millions of households in the UK and across Europe, show that despite collecting record income, the Luxembourg unit made a €1.2bn loss and therefore paid no tax.

In fact the unit was granted €56m in tax credits it can use to offset any future tax bills should it turn a profit. The company has €2.7bn worth of carried forward losses stored up, which can be used against any tax payable on future profits.

The Luxembourg unit – which handles sales for the UK, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Spain and Sweden – employs just 5,262 staff meaning that the income per employ amounts to €8.4m.

Margaret Hodge, a Labour MP who has long campaigned against tax avoidance, said: “It seems that Amazon’s relentless campaign of appalling tax avoidance continues
Amazon should be taxed out of existence.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 04, 2021 12:44 pm

Only stupid people pay tax.

Frank Zappa