Hong Kong

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Hong Kong

Post by Rum » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:36 pm

As many of you might remember I spent the first 19 years of my life in HK. I loved it then and still do so I follow events there closely.

You can’t have missed the news that for weeks now there has been civil strife in the ex colony.

Brief summary for those who understandably don’t know the ins and outs, but in 97 when the crown colony was handed back to China a system nicknamed ‘one country two systems’ was agreed. The idea was that HKers would be allowed the same civil liberties, including the British justice system and rule of law, voting for the legislators etc. as they were under the British and things business wise would also be allowed to continue as previously over a 40 period, so the plan goes, HK would slowly be absorbed into China and its communist dictatorship system.

This current round of civil unrest began when the legal legislature tried to introduce an extradition law which would allow people arrested in HK to be extradited to China (those who ‘disappear’ in less formal ways are often never seen again). It wa seen as the thin end of the wedge and against the two systems spirit.

The protesters have expanded over the last couple of months and the agenda has widened, there’s a strong pro-democracy movement, an independence movement and others, not to mention large numbers of under 25s with no chance of ever having their own place to live (for an eye watering experience look up land prices in Hk!)

My whole family watched the handover on tv and there were tears in all our eyes. But I see no way the protesters have a chance of making a dent in the iron plated politburo of China. The PLO coukd walk in and dominate the place completely in a few hours.

China is on the rise.

Thoughts?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: Hong Kong

Post by laklak » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Those Chinee are going to eat the entire world, one bear gall bladder at a time.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 pm

At some point, the Party will say enough is enough, and the Red Army divisions will move...

Brave buggers, but on a highway to nowhere, I suspect...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 am

We saw what happened in Tiananmen.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 am

I'm not sure the current gummint will want to afford the media poison that a reedition of Tian an Men would be, but yeah, when they've had enough, the repression will take place, and it won't be pretty.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Geesh, I was only joking when I said it's the CIA. :lol:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Seriously though, they are impressive. It must be terrifying.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:41 pm

If they truly think that China will let Hong Kong declare independence, they have to be living in fantasy land. Evil empires don't back down...
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:03 pm

Who, the CIA? They've succeeded if China can be provoked to use force; can't have you guys let up on the "evil empire" bit. :biggrin:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Do evil empires normally exercise this much care in dealing with such widespread protests? These fuckers shut down an airport ffs.

Evil empire to evil empire: we might learn a thing or two from these guys.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Hong Kong protests: Rival demonstrations spread across globe
Protests over the Hong Kong democracy movement have spread across the globe, with rallies taking place in the UK, France, US, Canada and Australia.

In Vancouver, Toronto and London, demonstrators were confronted by pro-Beijing rallies.

Hundreds also protested in Sydney's Belmore Park on Sunday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-49388822

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 pm
Do evil empires normally exercise this much care in dealing with such widespread protests? These fuckers shut down an airport ffs.

I think that the protesters have been foolish and somewhat irresponsible in their actions, and have no chance in hell of achieving independence, or even any more autonomy than they already have. However, it's also abundantly clear that China is an authoritarian state, one that is doing a variety of nasty things to minority groups such as the Uighars (sp?). It's not beyond the pale to term them an evil empire...

I agree that China has shown somewhat more patience than I would have expected. Possibly, they are waiting until most people in Hong Kong are tired of the disruption and economic downturn caused by the protests, so that intervention will not be resented as much.
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am

Sean Hayden wrote:

China lined up their armoured cars outside the city gates before you even posted this. I predict that if Hong Kong's internal security forces fail to get the protesters off the streets within the next fortnight or thereabouts, the Chinese army will - Tienanmen Square style.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:15 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:

I think that the protesters have been foolish and somewhat irresponsible in their actions, and have no chance in hell of achieving independence, or even any more autonomy than they already have. However, it's also abundantly clear that China is an authoritarian state, one that is doing a variety of nasty things to minority groups such as the Uighars (sp?). It's not beyond the pale to term them an evil empire...

I agree that China has shown somewhat more patience than I would have expected. Possibly, they are waiting until most people in Hong Kong are tired of the disruption and economic downturn caused by the protests, so that intervention will not be resented as much.
I admire the protesters. Your criteria for declaring China evil leaves your own country somewhat exposed.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 am

Hermit wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:45 am
Sean Hayden wrote:

China lined up their armoured cars outside the city gates before you even posted this. I predict that if Hong Kong's internal security forces fail to get the protesters off the streets within the next fortnight or thereabouts, the Chinese army will - Tienanmen Square style.
That will be unfortunate. But it's hardly evidence of evil. They have been incredibly patient so far, haven't they?