All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:54 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 am
Why don't the Brits secure the airport and continue the airlift? Then they don't have to worry about the US picking up stumps on the 31st.
The last time the UK tried to do a military on their own in Lybia they ran out of bombs in 40 minutes. We've always relied on NATO and the US for that kind of thing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:08 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:54 pm
tried to do a military
Has Trump-speak left a permanent mark on the entire English-speaking world? :cry: :hehe:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Seabass wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:08 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:54 pm
tried to do a military
Has Trump-speak left a permanent mark on the entire English-speaking world? :cry: :hehe:
Brian is hip and with it, and knows how to speak like the cool kids... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Indeed. I'm very street.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Please...
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:11 pm

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 pm

What attracts women to Boris?

He is disgusting.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:16 am

I really don't know what women see in the millionaire Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:47 am

The hussies! :lay:
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:18 am

Fucking whores!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:03 am

Johnson's great bicycle network?

Hospital calls for action to stop cyclist deaths at notorious London junction
Colleagues of Dr Marta Krawiec, who was killed while riding to work, say urgent safety work is needed

A leading hospital has called for immediate safety works at a notoriously dangerous junction in central London where one of its doctors was killed last month while cycling to work, saying it was unacceptable for more lives to be put at risk.

In a highly unusual intervention, the chair and chief executive of Guy’s and St Thomas’ trust, and the heads of the children’s allergy service where Dr Marta Krawiec worked, have written to the mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, saying the moment had come “for action rather than words”.

Krawiec, 41, was cycling to work at Evelina children’s hospital in Westminster when she was struck and fatally injured by a lorry at the junction of Southampton Row and Theobalds Road, near Holborn underground station.

In their letter to Khan, Dr Helen Brough, who heads the allergy service, and Prof Adam Fox, a consultant allergist at Guy’s, said four cyclists had been killed at that junction since 2008, among eight in total killed on the wider Holborn one-way system.
They had to invent the wheel again. Chris Boardman made the comparison 4 years ago.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 am

Special relationship? Afghanistan has revealed how irrelevant the UK has become
Peter Ricketts wrote:Biden has shown he will serve US interests. And ‘global Britain’, out of the EU, has been shown up as a ship adrift without a compass

The 9/11 terrorist attacks catapulted the US and UK into a more intensive period of security partnership than any event since the second world war. Tony Blair was the first world leader to visit Ground Zero in New York. He and George Bush shared the same burning conviction that the scale of the atrocity created a new reality.

They both saw the “war on terror” as an ideological struggle for the values which would shape the new century. This conviction carried Blair into volunteering Britain as the first lead nation for the Nato mission in Afghanistan in late 2001.

After 20 years of tough military action, in which the UK provided the largest number of troops after the US and took the second highest number of combat deaths, London played no part at all in the American decisions which led to the chaotic end to the Nato operation. Boris Johnson was reduced to pleading with Joe Biden through the media for a few more days to complete the pull-out. The fact that he was turned down flat exposed to public view how far British influence in Washington had dwindled since the “shoulder to shoulder” days of 2001.
An aircraft-carrier without aircraft does not amount for much.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:09 am

Boris Johnson’s military alliance in the Pacific is reckless post-imperial nostalgia
Simon Jenkins wrote:The Aukus deal has enraged China and humiliated France, when British diplomacy should be concentrated on Europe

The Aukus defence deal between Britain, the US and Australia grows murkier by the day. Essentially it is the outcome of an industrial dispute over who will build eight submarines for the Australian military. Australia ordered £48bn-worth of diesel-powered ones from France and then changed its mind, reneging on the deal. It now wants nuclear-powered ones from the US and Britain.

Crewed submarines are approaching obsolescence, near useless in an age of “transparent” oceans and underwater drones. Like tanks, they drip with cost, inefficiency and a craving to fight outdated wars. But defence contracts have a corporate and political existence that transcends utility. If Australia seriously thinks China is a threat, it might as well have some new gold-plated weapons ready.

However, this particular equipment contract appears to have morphed into a new military alliance in the Asia-Pacific region. Johnson’s defence adviser, Stephen Lovegrove, declares it to be “a profound strategic shift”. Unless Downing Street is clueless, it was clearly intended to enrage China, which it duly has, as well as humiliate France, which it also has.

Boris Johnson protested that it was “not adversarial” toward China, but, when Theresa May asked if he seriously envisaged war over Taiwan, he refused to say no. “The United Kingdom remains determined to defend international law and that is … the strong advice we would give to the government in Beijing.” Is he just playing with words? In July he sent an aircraft carrier near a disputed region in the South China Sea, prompting warnings from Beijing. This would be merely a mouse trying to roar, were vast sums of public money not involved in sustaining Johnson’s vanity.

Pompous remarks made for political effect, like sudden alliances and needless snubs, have consequences. Western defence interests born of the cold war refused to let Nato redefine its purpose in the 1990s, with the demise of the Soviet Union. Which is how Britain got sucked into Afghanistan and Iraq, ostensibly to protect the US from the new threat of terrorism. High rhetoric and military chest-beating likewise fuelled the preliminaries to the first world war.
Has this been approved by the HoC?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:41 am

Hey, we can enrage China, humiliate France, and still focus on Europe.

Military spending only has to be approved in the Budget not on a purchase-by-purchase basis. The Tories have a 80 seat majority - they can do as they like.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:15 am

‘Donnez-moi un break’: Johnson deepens rift with France over defence deal
UK prime minister hits out after Paris reacted with fury to announcement of defence pact

Boris Johnson has reopened the rift with Paris over the Aukus defence and security deal, urging the French to “prenez un grip about this and donnez-moi un break”, after he and Joe Biden discussed deepening the pact.

The prime minister was speaking in Washington, where he attended a dinner on Tuesday evening with the Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, after meeting the US president at the White House.

Johnson and Biden talked about extending their cooperation through the pact to cover further issues including safeguarding human rights and promoting free markets – and ruled out inviting more countries to join.

Johnson said: “What I found on Capitol Hill was that they want to populate the agenda with all sorts of other things which matter.” He cited the need for a western rival to telecom giant Huawei, which the UK government recently decided to remove from some parts of the country’s critical infrastructure because of security concerns.

“What we need is a western technology on which we can all rely,” he said.
France is not in the west?