All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: All things Boris: has it really come to this?

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:24 pm

Chumocracy.

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 am

Boris Johnson’s poll ratings slump to record low after Owen Paterson affair
The botched attempt to scrap Westminster’s standards system has cost the PM and the party as their popularity wanes

Boris Johnson’s personal approval rating has slumped to its lowest level on record after his botched attempt to scrap Westminster’s standards system and spare a Tory MP from being suspended.

According to a new Opinium poll for the Observer, the prime minister’s personal ratings have now fallen to -20, down from -16 last week. It surpasses the previous low of -18 that Johnson recorded a month ago, suggesting he was already experiencing a low point in his popularity in recent weeks.

The Tory lead has also fallen to a single point in the past week, according to the poll that is the first to be conducted entirely after the resignation of Owen Paterson. The former Tory cabinet minister quit as an MP after No 10 ordered an embarrassing U-turn over its attempt to spare him from a 30-day Commons suspension for breaching lobbying rules.

There was also a significant shift in who voters see as the best prime minister. An 11-point lead for Johnson has shrunk to just 2 points. Johnson is regarded as the best prime minister candidate by 28% of voters, down 5 points, with the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, on 26% (up 4 points).

No 10 had backed an amendment suspending Paterson’s punishment and creating a new standards body with a built-in Tory majority. The next day, after intense criticism, the government backed down. It has caused fury among Tories at all levels of the party, many complaining of a backlash from constituents.
Of course with corruption and chumocracy the tories lead by 20%.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Boris Johnson will miss sleaze debate, No 10 confirms – UK politics live

Because he is travelling by train!
No 10 says PM unable to attend sleaze debate because he's returning from north-east visit by train

The Downing Street lobby briefing is over, and the prime minister’s spokesman has confirmed that Boris Johnson will not be speaking in, or attending, the sleaze/standards/corruption debate in the Commons this afternoon.

And he won’t be watching it on the TV in his office afterwards; he is on a visit to a hospital in the north-east, and the spokesman said that he would not be able to be able to return to London in time for the debate. The spokesman said the rail timetable did not allow this.

When journalists pointed out that last week Johnson took a private jet so that he could return from the Cop26 conference in Glasgow for a private reunion dinner with former Daily Telegraph leader writers, the spokesman claimed that that was different and that last week other factors applied.

It is all slightly reminiscent of when Johnson, as foreign secretary, flew off to Afghanistan so that he could conveniently miss a Commons vote on the Heathrow third runway which the government was implementing but which he had always vowed to oppose.

In a further effort to downgrade the significance of the debate, No 10 announced that Stephen Barclay, the Cabinet Office minister, will be responding from the government. Yesterday government sources indicated it would be Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the Commons, and this morning Anne-Marie Trevelyan, the international trade secretary, also said she expected Rees-Mogg to be putting the government’s case in the debate.

It is not hard to see the rationale for this. Rees-Mogg is constantly provocative, and his performance in the debate last week angered many Tories, as well as the opposition. By contrast, Barclay is the news equivalent of a fire blanket; he could make an announcement about the end of the world sound dull. If No 10 want to push the debate down the news agenda for tonight’s TV bulletins, Barclay’s the man for the job.
Very convenient...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:40 pm

Very Brave Sir Robin.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:14 am

Sleaze and chumocracy that is how the UK government works:

PM fails to stifle sleaze scandal as ratification of Paterson report blocked
Tory fury as backbencher Christopher Chope stops findings over lobbying rules breach being accepted

Boris Johnson’s attempt to draw a line under the sleaze scandal engulfing the Conservative party fell apart after a Tory MP blocked parliament endorsing a report that found a former colleague committed an egregious breach of lobbying rules.

The backbencher Christopher Chope was named by multiple sources as the person who objected to ratifying the findings about Owen Paterson’s behaviour which followed a two-year investigation by the Commons standards watchdog.

The government had tried to shunt the vote to the end of the day but put forward a motion that only one MP needed to object to in order for it to fail. In a deeply embarrassing move for the prime minister, one Tory cried out “object” late on Monday night – prolonging the resolution of the issue that has prompted some MPs to warn tensions are “frighteningly high” within the Conservative party.

Chris Bryant, a Labour MP and chair of the standards committee, said he had been assured the motion would be retabled on Tuesday with a one-hour debate to try again to endorse the Paterson report. Chope was contacted for comment.

Fury from Tories exploded at the issue being prolonged, with a minister telling the Guardian: “He has been for many year a Jurassic embarrassment – tonight he crossed a line. The man should retire and the executive are livid. If he comes into the team room tomorrow, colleagues would want to say two words to him and the second word would be ‘off’.”

A former minister said: “The fact we can’t deselect these people is baffling”, while a frontbencher called Chope “a selfish twat”. Backbenchers complained it would “make a bad situation even worse”, and expressed severe disappointment it was “handing Labour a freebie”.

Meanwhile, the shadow Commons leader, Thangam Debbonaire, said the “farce was of the Tories’ own making and serves Johnson right for trying to sneak a U-turn out at night rather than do the decent thing and come to the house to apologise”.
What a system. :hehe:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:20 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:04 pm

and it's called the tories
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Chumocracy!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:50 pm

Have I been wrong? Chumocracy. Total sleaze.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:03 pm

The UK election system has always been based on chumocracy. A non elected first chamber? The supply of Etonian prime ministers.
The trouble is the UK is fucked and by the next election will be a one party state. That was the whole purpose of Brexit. Preserving off shore tax havens and destroying the opposition.

Welcome 1984 UK. A great place to place...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:09 pm
Chumocracy!
I feel this really means we should round up the plutocrats, and use them as chum for shark fishing.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Johnson trying to defend sleaze/chumocracy:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:34 pm

The dishonesty of Boris Johnson has finally infected the entire government
Jonathan Freedland wrote:Whether you call it magical thinking or cakeism, the prime minister’s defining trait has absorbed the Conservative party

The personal dishonesty of the prime minister is serial and well documented. It’s the thread that has run through his career. It saw him fired from his first job, at the Times, for making up quotes, then saw him fired from the Tory frontbench for lying to his party leader – to say nothing of the anti-EU fabrications that made Boris Johnson’s name as Brussels correspondent of the Daily Telegraph.

But dishonesty is no longer merely the character flaw of one man. It has become the imprint of his party and this government.

Admittedly, the Conservatives’ collective dishonesty is less florid than Johnson’s individual variety. If you were being kind, you would call it intellectual dishonesty or, kinder still, magical thinking. Sometimes it takes the form of arguing two contradictory things at once; often it comes down to saying one thing and doing the exact opposite.

So we have a Tory government publicly committed to reducing carbon emissions, one that just last week wrapped up Cop26 in Glasgow, where it urged the world to pursue net zero. But this week that same government broke its promise to extend HS2 to Leeds and abandoned the pledged high-speed rail link between Leeds and Manchester. Passengers and freight that would have moved on clean, swift trains will instead be burning up petrol on the roads.

All of this is personified by Johnson himself, who has turned breaking his word into a vocation. But now it has become a collective trait. The government has adopted Johnson’s notorious attitude to cake – wanting to have it and to eat it – and made cakeism its defining creed. The Tories want both to look good on climate and withhold cash from the transport system. They want both to spend big and keep taxes low. They want both to leave the EU and keep Northern Ireland exactly as it was. They want both to hold the red wall and keep giving preferential treatment to their own blue-wall faithful.

If this were only magical thinking designed to deceive themselves, it would be bad enough. But the Tories are doing to the country what Johnson has done his whole life: making promises that cannot be kept and telling stories that are not true.
Chumocracy at its best.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 pm

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:29 am