Extinction Rebellion

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Animavore » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:47 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 am
Don't mention physics to Cunt, he'll reach for his Luger...
Well there's the problem. He should be reaching for his calculator.

That's what previous skeptic Richard Muller did when he decided to challenge the consensus on climate change using a grant from the Koch brothers. The right expected him to blow the lid on the hoax but instead...
When we began our study, we felt that skeptics had raised legitimate issues, and we didn't know what we'd find. Our results turned out to be close to those published by prior groups. We think that means that those groups had truly been very careful in their work, despite their inability to convince some skeptics of that. They managed to avoid bias in their data selection, homogenization and other corrections.

Global warming is real. Perhaps our results will help cool this portion of the climate debate. How much of the warming is due to humans and what will be the likely effects? We made no independent assessment of that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_A._Muller
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:52 am

Past warnings did not come true because something was done to prevent it.

Ozone depletion was addressed by banning the use of certain chemicals.
Waldsterben (Forest dieback) was addressed by banning the use of certain chemicals or requiring filters to be used.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:59 am

Ultimately it comes down to who you place your trust in. Who do you trust more, some random nerdy professor guy who makes things sound a bit complicated, or Sean Hannity who makes things sound so simple? As Hannity says, that nerdy guy doesn't know us, doesn't know who we are, what we like, how we live... Shit, he's probably even a sinful atheist... I'm going with Hannity every time. Those nerdy guys aren't looking out for us... we know how the world works... those so-called experts aren't looking out for us, they're just looking out for themselves and where the next pay check is coming from. Yeah Sean! Yeah Tucker! Fuck those nerds, those fucking elites! They might fool the Krauts or the fucking Chinks or whatever but they ain't going to pull that fucking shit on us... We're smarter than that.

#theoutrage
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:27 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:17 pm
"Ebola, black death and Trump" - the three horsemen of the apocalypse!
The fourth is Brexit... :tea:
brexit is the name of a horse, not one of the horsemen
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:29 pm

:flog:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:19 pm

:hehe:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 pm

JimC wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:33 am
Cunt wrote:

My guess is, the predictions are heavily influenced by peoples politics, preferences and laziness.
Actually, the predictions are based on science, a subject clearly unknown to you...

A guess based on ignorance is utterly worthless...
Which predictions are you backing here? All of them?

Why not make some? Tell us, sage one, will the Earth be destroyed in 12 years? Like AOC said? Or will Gore's prediction of polar ice being gone be a better prediction to get behind?

I predict that you will never change your mind until your political leaders tell you to.

I further predict that you will think Brexit is a terrible idea, until your political leaders tell you it was the right thing to do all along.

Funny how your opinions are so often in line with the Hollywood celebrities and other wealthy idiots.

No-one can seem to answer the simple question, when have we gone too far to correct it? At what date or temperature will you agree that it's time to stop trying to save the world, and start trying to care for the individuals who live on it?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:48 am

Do you believe in climate change? Do you think that it, along with mass extinction, is a major threat to our existence? What do you actually believe? Or can you only poo poo what everyone else believes?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:08 am

Once climate change is accepted, and the need to cut CO2 (and other greenhouse gas) emission is realised, there is plenty of room for argument about the best pathways to take. As usual, there is a spectrum of opinion, and a range of options. Some in the green movement can become a bit hysterical, and demand unrealistic goals for reduction with rather absurd deadlines, but in the meantime, both the broad environment movement, and (increasingly) big business are going about the task of transitioning to renewables, at least in part because it makes economic sense...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:48 am
Do you believe in climate change?
I don't 'believe in' very well. When I find myself doing it, I get very suspicious, so no, I don't.

I also read, from a dead science writer, that the climate was going to change if we didn't do everything in humanities power to fix it. It would also change if we DID do everything.

I believe the climate changes, and is changing. Of course.

But that's not what that means, is it? It's a loaded-with-assumptions kind of phrase, and if we ditched it for this discussion, we would probably be better off.
Do you think that it, along with mass extinction, is a major threat to our existence?
With our recent technological advances, climate is MUCH lower on the list than it ever has been. We are now masters of what will be called 'The Glass Age', and we can tool around in our underpants from far beneath the ocean surface, to far above the highest mountain. Often while shitposting on the internet.

We have bigger threats than climate, probably.

What do you actually believe? Or can you only poo poo what everyone else believes?
I believe that people love to jump on some vague dogshit phrase like 'climate change', and use it to highlight their personal cause. This means it's mostly bullshit, in the 'marketing wank' sense of the word.

When it comes to specifics, fuck globalism. Here is one example where democracy just doesn't fucking fit, and neither do global concerns.

Salt River First Nation has some resources, in the form of water. Some distant ass-hat wants to make a hydro-dam out of it, flood a bunch of land they don't care about, and generate power which will likely help someone else far away.

The locals don't want it (with a helpful smattering of those who do). Is the global concern for renewable energy going to decide this? Or a respect for the traditional lands of a small group of North Americans who are easy to ignore?

We have a bunch of actors advocating for Climate Change ActionTM, too. That makes me support the idea less. Those folks are paid to be professionally charming, convincing and believable. They charge HIGH AS FUCK prices for their services, and are probably just as honest as most other humans, but not as easy to spot when they are full of shit.

What specifically is it you think I have wrong? More to the point, what specific issue do you want to know my opinion about? Carbon tax - no. Best Democrat US candidate - Bernie Sanders would have it if he defended himself against Clinton, but he didn't (I think) so Yang...Best Republican Candidate? Someone other than Trump, but I LOVE that Trump will get in. He doesn't promote hate, but he SURE reveals it. People seem to let their guard down and say what they REALLY think around him. It helped me sever most of my trust in media and political commentators. It's hilarious how often people embarrass themselves when talking about or to him. It's like they are trying to fight a drunken boxer.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am

So science is "marketing wank"? Ok. :roll:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:40 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am
He’s buying up tundra to grow bananas there in a few years time.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm

It's not that self-described 'climate skeptics' don't accept the facts about global warming it's just that they don't personally approve of the people telling us about it or trust the apparent altruistic motives of those saying we need to take action now.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Yeah, people like David Attenborough and Brian Cox are cunts. :smug:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:39 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am
No, you thick-headed dinkslapper.

It can be marketing wank though. One can take a fact (the climate is changing) and apply marketing wank to make it convince people to vote red, or to vote blue.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:50 pm
trust the apparent altruistic motives
I hear from lots of motivated people, not sure I trust any just because they are apparently altruistic. Even altruists can be wrong sometimes.

Like you, I think you really believe that you need to be protected from hate speech. I don't agree, but I accept that you believe it.

Extinction of valuable species is a threat, but is it the biggest one? Or are small communities freezing to death a bigger one? It isn't as easy as cutting off our oil use, or cutting off our ability to hunt and eat.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: