Extinction Rebellion

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:54 am

UK breaking news...
Extinction Rebellion protesters may sue Met after protest ban ruled illegal

Hundreds of Extinction Rebellion protesters may now sue the Metropolitan police for unlawful arrest after the high court quashed an order banning the group’s protests in London last month.

In a judgment handed down on Wednesday morning, Mr Justice Dingemans and Mr Justice Chamberlain said the section 14 order imposed during XR’s “autumn uprising” in October was unlawful.

Dingemans said: “Separate gatherings, separated both in time and by many miles, even if coordinated under the umbrella of one body, are not a public assembly within the meaning of ... the Act.

“The XR autumn uprising intended to be held from 14 to 19 October was not therefore a public assembly … therefore the decision to impose the condition was unlawful because there was no power to impose it under … the Act.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... high-court
No doubt #OUTRAGED politicians will be up on their hind legs baying for a change in the law now. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:42 pm

There was something similar in our Spring Rebellion when police put conditions on arrested rebels, that they were not allowed to take part in further demonstrations - it was struck down by a court...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:34 am
What happens to the rubbish taken out of the air?
:prof: NOx can be reacted with urea and catalytically converted into nitrogen and CO2. The particulates are solids, and once preciptated are not dangerous. :prof:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:58 am

Damn you and your damn science rainbow! :lay:

In other news. XR Edinburgh are sending some people to Dec COP25 talks in Madrid to see how the land lies ahead of COP26 in Glasgow next year. Hopefully a fully funded trip. I've put my name down. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 pm

One of our rebels shared this today. Sustainable gift wrapping! :)
Attachments
How to tie Furoshiki.jpg

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

The so-called "eco-fascist" with the Nazi pigtails is leaving America...
Greta Thunberg leaves US with simple climate crisis message: vote

As Greta Thunberg departs the US to sail across the Atlantic for the second time in a few months, she is leaving behind a simple message for those who care about the climate crisis: you must vote.

The 16-year-old Swedish climate activist who ignited a youth movement with her Friday school strikes has traveled across America since arriving via racing yacht in late August. She will now brave the bitter cold to get back to Madrid, after a change in venue for international climate negotiations. Her plan had been to make her way to Chile, where the talks were meant to be held before the country descended into civil unrest.

“My message to the Americans is the same as to everyone – that is to unite behind the science and to act on the science,” Thunberg told the Guardian on Tuesday.

“We must realize this is a crisis, and we must do what we can now to spread awareness about this and to put pressure on the people in power. And especially, the US has an election coming up soon, and it’s very important that for everyone who can vote, vote.”

“Even if the politics needed doesn’t exist today, we still need to use our voices to make sure that the people in power are focused on the right things. Because this is a democracy, and in a democracy, people are the ones who run the country. I know it doesn’t seem that way, but if enough people were to decide they have had enough, then that could change everything. So don’t underestimate that power.”...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ssage-vote
:santa:

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:55 pm

More than 85% of Venice was flooded, authorities said, including the historic basilica and many of its squares and alleyways. While the water level dropped slightly on Wednesday morning, a further torrent of water, whipped up by high winds, is forecast to sweep in later in the day, reaching a level of 1.60 metres.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-50-years
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:57 pm

They'll be scraping the shit off the cobbles for days.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm

The Dutch offered a solution but .... They found it TOO expensive. Stingy bastards those Venetians.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:41 pm

Greta getting ride from Aussies
CE92AAB6-F0AF-42F9-9729-32F428F8D6D0.png
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Bonzer! She'll be speaking with an Aussie accent soon enough!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Struth!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 am

Greto!

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 am

You do get through the pics Brian.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am

Attended the second Climate Justice and Solidarity working group meeting last night. Proceedings got rather distracted by a proposal to formalise a general safe-space policy and an accompanying set of resolution processes - which I'm not opposed in principle, but as things progressed much of the talk did start reminding me of the kind of wrangling that accompanied the demise of Atheism+.

I listen for a good 20mins before chipping in with the idea that we should probably be mindful of forming any kind of internal policing body--perhaps shouldn't have used the word apparatchiks--and that thinking about finding ways to balance any resolution process in such a way that the offended aren't seen to be more empowered than the offendee might be something worth exploring. I got some immediate and stiff criticism for that. Oops! One particularly agitated chap ended up saying something to effect of "So what you're saying is that we should give people a free pass to behave anyway they like and stuff those who might be on the receiving end of it!" :roll: Enough people countered that and called for calm for me not to have to address that errant bum custard.

At the end of the discussion I was surprised to be nominated by the group to lead devising a conflict resolution policy - which I declined. I said that I saw XR as a self-organising sociocracy in which groups work autonomously and define their own mandates under certain general principles and values, and that I saw the role of a Climate Justice and Solidarity working group as one that includes and represents the interests of oppressed and disenfranchised people rather than one that tells and enforces how other working groups should or shouldn't operate - each group should talk about the issues themselves and do what works for them. Somebody behind me actually harrumphed! We moved on to other things.

Several people made a point of reassuring me after the meeting and the agitated young man came an apologised for 'getting a bit hot and bothered' - which was good of him. I told him I understood his concerns and that there was no hard feelings, but cried off the usual post-meeting trip to the pub over the road, and probably won't go back to that group unless I'm asked for a specific reason relating to the other stuff I'm doing. I'll be interested to see how this group develops though.

I guess some of them just saw a middle-age white man telling them they were being idiots.

Perhaps I was - a bit.

Frank Zappa