One in five teachers using own money for school supplies – report

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: One in five teachers using own money for school supplies – report

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 pm
Of course the UK once again tried to invent the wheel when it came to education and as always managed to split society into haves and have nots. Looking at what other countries with a far better systems was definitely a no-no.

The tory voters had to be appeased.
The reason most people here know your posts aren’t to be taken seriously is that they are all about emotion and affirming your own mindset and prejudices. You dislike or actively hate anything outside your own little world and your views are based on that rather than facts.

The above is a case in point. Kenneth Clarke, as an example, visited a number of countries to get ideas. So your actual FACTS (remember what those used to be?) are incorrect.

It is also worth noting that in the international league tables the UK is ranked 15th in the world for education. The Netherlands is ranked 17th. And of course, I know you will challenge that FACT.

https://fullfact.org/education/uks-inte ... n-ranking/

I’ve been giving some thought to your ranting emotion led posts and I’ve concluded some things that are too personal to post concerning your need to defend your decision to leave your homeland, reject it totally and build a life in your perfect country. I’ve concluded it makes you sensitive to anything that potentially challenges that decision and it’s foundations. I’ll moderate my approach accordingly.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:30 am

Another problem for UK teachers:

One in four teachers 'experience violence from pupils every week'
One in four teachers in the UK say they experience physical violence from their pupils at least once a week, and many say poor behaviour is making them want to leave the profession, according to figures compiled by a teaching union.

The NASUWT union found that 24% of the nearly 5,000 teachers who sent in feedback said they were on the receiving end of physical attacks each week. Many reported that they had been “shoved or barged”, and a significant percentage said they had been hit, punched or kicked.

Nearly nine in 10 teachers said they had received some sort of verbal or physical abuse from pupils in the past year. Eighty-six per cent said they had been sworn at and 46% said they had been verbally threatened.
Was it easier to teach in past days. You could shed light on that Jim.
Or has society in the UK changed that much.

This is an earlier report:

Funding cuts hamper knife crime prevention in England, say schools
Schools and colleges say funding cuts are hampering their efforts to prevent knife crime, according to a report commissioned by Ofsted that calls for “local community safety partnerships” to tackle the problem.

The Ofsted report, based on a survey of secondary schools, further education and pupil referral units in London, found huge variations in how the schools dealt with the problem of knives carried by pupils, as well as a lack of information-sharing between schools, local authorities and the police.

The report also concluded that schools need to follow more carefully Department for Education guidelines on the use of exclusions, and called for authorities to “challenge schools and multi-academy trusts when exclusions do not appear to be in line with statutory guidance”.
I would hate to think about how the UK would be after Brexit.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:28 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:48 pm
Of course the UK once again tried to invent the wheel when it came to education and as always managed to split society into haves and have nots. Looking at what other countries with a far better systems was definitely a no-no.

The tory voters had to be appeased.
The reason most people here know your posts aren’t to be taken seriously is that they are all about emotion and affirming your own mindset and prejudices. You dislike or actively hate anything outside your own little world and your views are based on that rather than facts.

The above is a case in point. Kenneth Clarke, as an example, visited a number of countries to get ideas. So your actual FACTS (remember what those used to be?) are incorrect.

It is also worth noting that in the international league tables the UK is ranked 15th in the world for education. The Netherlands is ranked 17th. And of course, I know you will challenge that FACT.

https://fullfact.org/education/uks-inte ... n-ranking/
What a complete load of bollocks. You have really scraped the bottom of the barrel. Quoting PISA results :lol:
When there are far more detailed results. Those figures were for only science and only of 15 year olds. Nice one. Read the rest and PISA is not accepted as any worth as it is only looking at one group but please keep on cherry picking.

Just prove a point: Here is another table excluding universities:

The 11 best school systems in the world
Every year, the World Economic Forum releases its Global Competitiveness Report on the state of the world's economies.

The WEF looks at data on areas as varied as the soundness of banks to the sophistication of businesses in each country. It then uses the data to compile a picture of the economy of almost every country on earth.

Countries were ranked according to the "12 pillars of competitiveness," which includes macro-economic environment, infrastructure, health and primary education, and labour market efficiency.

We have drilled down into the schooling data to look at which countries have the best education systems. Neither the US or the UK make the grade in the top 11 (3 countries are tied for 9th, making 11 the clearest cut off point.)
Too many tables include universities which both the US and UK have the top ones due to foreign finances. Look at school systems and you are nowhere.

Where is the Netherlands?
5. Netherlands: 5.9

Dutch children were found to be the happiest in the world in a 2013 Unicef study, leading the way globally educational well-being among others. Schools typically don't give much homework until secondary level and students report little pressure and stress. Schools are divided between faith schools and "neutral" state schools, with only a small number of private schools.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:41 am

I wouldn't take the word of a neoliberal organisation for much regarding education. The neoliberal ethic is to strip public funding for eduction, route some of it to private education, and decentralise the curriculum so that they can force in political ideology into the system.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 pm

Indeed. Using Education and Health as a political football is perhaps the lowest and most venal of political acts after starting a war to get elected.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:49 am

Children ‘threatening to stab and kick pregnant teachers’ as pupil violence increases amid funding cuts
Pupil indiscipline is a ‘worsening problem’ in schools amid funding cuts, teachers say

Schools must deal with “Teflon kids” amid reports of violent threats against pregnant staff, teachers have said.

A motion calling for teachers to be defended when their safety is “placed at risk by pupil indiscipline” was passed at the NASUWT teachers’ union conference in Belfast over Easter.

Violence by students in schools has worsened following education budget cuts, teachers warned.

The union’s conference heard shocking examples of the threats and attacks teachers have experienced.

A seven-year-old boy said to one teacher: “I will stab you in your pregnant belly”, after he was asked to do literacy. Meanwhile, another pregnant teacher was called a “fat c***” by a pupil.
JFCOAPS.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:07 am

That's terrible, for the teaching staff, the pupils, and the for little tike himself - but let's try to avoid Daily Mail style sensationalismm eh. It's poor staffing levels, the de-skilling of the profession, and a lack of resources which is the issue here - not that a seven year old dropped the C-bomb.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 am

Ok. It is the Independent.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:05 pm
The state of education in the UK:

One in five teachers using own money for school supplies – report
Staff also buying breakfasts, winter coats and soap for poor pupils, says teaching union

One in five teachers are spending their own money on classroom supplies, while nearly half say they buy food, clothes and even soap for poor pupils, according to a report charting the effects of austerity on schools.

Among the more than 4,300 teachers who responded to the NASUWT education union, 20% said they paid for resources such as paper or books used in their lessons at least once a week, with half of those saying they did so “several times a week”.

The responses show an education system struggling to function without basic supplies, with one teacher stating: “We soon will be unable to teach unless we fund it ourselves.”

The union should have the teachers keep all receipts for such purchases. What a compelling argument it would make, if the numbers could be audited.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 pm

I’m not suggesting schools are adequately funded here. Austerity has squeezed them badly. But I do remember in the high spending days of the Blair/Brown era, teachers complaining about exactly the same thing.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:33 pm

The problems Dutchy points out in the UK system are pretty standard complaints in the US, too. Teachers claim to be spending money on supplies and working too many hours. Students are undisciplined, and there is no way to control them.

What I see, too, is a destruction of the love of learning, as well as too much regimentalization of the classrooms. We have grades parsed too narrowly - where a kid is stuck with the grade level they're in. A 6 year old is in first grade, and that's it. If he or she excels, oh, well, just have to slow down and be bored, to keep pace with the middling. Then the ones that can't keep up or can barely keep up start losing ground, and they can't catch up. Students who are good in one area, and bad in another, are kept middling - and don't get the help in the area they need assistance with.

I love the program we're choosing for our kids - Montessori Method - which eschews rows of seating, and places 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade (ages 6 through 8) in the same classrooms. A first grader who is ahead, can push into 2nd and 3rd grade. A second grader who is behind can spend extra time on first grade stuff.

Too much standardization. Too many rows. Too many lines. Too many rules. Too much of a need to not be outside the mid-range.

Also, too much dumbing down of curricula. Too much political indoctrination.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Rum wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:19 pm
I’m not suggesting schools are adequately funded here. Austerity has squeezed them badly. But I do remember in the high spending days of the Blair/Brown era, teachers complaining about exactly the same thing.
I've seen that here in the US, too, and it's always self-reporting. If I were to self-report, I can tell you a teacher never purchased any supplies for me as a student growing up.

Ninety-four percent of public school teachers say they spent their own money on notebooks, pens and other supplies in the 2014-15 school year without reimbursement, according to the study. The average amount spent was $479. About 44 percent spent $250 or less, while 36 percent spent $251 to $500 https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/pe ... 610542002/

That seems excessive to me. There is a tax deduction available in the US if teachers go out of pocket on supplies.

Frankly, given that they claim not to have enough money to pay their own bills with their salaries, I wonder how they have this much money available. $400 goes a long way for spending money on vacation/holiday.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:27 am

Private schools claim to help the taxpayer. But they serve only the rich
A self-serving study states private schools save us all billions a year. It’s time to dismantle a system that denies many a fair start

The heads of Britain’s private schools are really feeling the pressure. How else do you explain their desperate plea to be left alone because super-rich parents are saving the taxpayer billions of pounds a year by sending their offspring to Eton and Harrow? This self-serving study in public school economics published by the Independent Schools Council (ISC) was given pride of place in at least two national newspapers last week. It’s an old argument that was first shot down in 1968 by a panel of academics and private school leaders set up to “integrate the public schools with the state system”. The Public Schools Commission found the claim that parents who chose to pay for their child’s education were being hit with a double taxation “unimpressive”, likening it to a childless couple asking for a tax rebate because they weren’t drawing any benefit from the schools system.

Similarly, the Charity Commission in 2009 considered the same contention to be specious when it was challenged by private headteachers over plans to make their schools perform their charitable function. A more modern analogy might be a Russian oligarch boasting that, by using his helicopter to get to work, he is saving the British taxpayer thousands in road maintenance.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:11 am

Yeah, they've spotted that a Labour government might restrict the flow of public funds to private schools or start insisting on Ofsted inspections or inclusion audits to see if they're living up to their PR.

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:21 am

A lot of Tory education policy over the last 9 years has been trying to redress the imbalances of the Blair/Brown era which left the public sector out performing the private sector in exam results, but the top universities still drawing most of their intake from among the fee paying. Now the Tories can rest easy in their beds, urging the top universities (which they went to) to take 'the brightest and the best' again, and thus restoring balance to the natural order.

Frank Zappa