Meanwhile, Texas

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Meanwhile, Texas

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:05 pm

Whether you agree with the defense it's hardly shocking, many far more bizarre defenses are routinely presented in all cases.

--//--

The most recent school shooter used his gun in self-defense too, that's the story anyway, and as I mentioned before he was even allowed bail.

Maybe Europeans were shocked at that too and I missed it... :dunno:

Seriously, why the denial of what is blatantly obvious? This piece exist because of the identity of the victim and the shooter. I wonder if the shooter asked the victim if he was a muslim before shooting him...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:58 pm

You people are so fucked that rational thought does not exist.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:22 pm

The public tends to take a dim view of most criminal defenses.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:40 am

The muslim thing perhaps gives the shooting an added dimension, but I contend that the fact that there is even the possibility of a self-defence argument in this context is utterly bizarre to non Americans. From the account, the guy did nothing other than pull into the shooter's driveway - no threatening behaviour etc. In Australia, Britain, Europe, the charge in a similar case would be murder, and there would simply be zero possibility of a self-defence argument. Here, there have been cases where someone has killed a burglar who broke into their homes, and the prosecutors have argued that the actions which lead to the intruder's death were disproportionate, and that the homeowner should at the very least face manslaughter charges. (Depending on the details, in some cases not guilty verdicts have been achieved)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 am

He has been charged with murder. Whether a particular defense should be available is a valid concern, I just don't believe that is the aim of such pieces which irk for their myopic and selfish(?) focus.

The article is entirely about the victim and the shooter's identities, you likely wouldn't know about it otherwise. Even the castle doctrine law is talked about from the pov of its providing cover for racism/bigotry --ergo my wondering whether the shooter even knew the victim was a Muslim. A point which is apparently irrelevant to the author.

The UK is currently being told that it's a harsh place for Muslims to live and this story fits into that conflict nicely, it ticks all the right boxes.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:00 am

I suppose I should suspend judgement until the case is decided. Perhaps a jury will see that the context of this case has nothing to do with self defence, whether "stand your ground" is involved or not...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:13 pm

Texas wants to demolish an old warehouse. They just need to figure out what to do with 750,000 bats first.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 573283.php

--an apt metaphor...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:06 pm

Houston Astroworld: At least 8 dead after 'panic' at music festival
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1283397

The concentration of stupid here proves lethal again.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:14 am

Onward, Christian soldiers, fighting to stem the tide of preverts and protect the precious children from having their minds polluted with preversion. The famous right wing support for free speech is demonstrated once again.

'The push to ban books in Texas schools spreads to public libraries'
When the Llano County Library shuts down for three days this week, starting Tuesday, it won’t be for the holidays.

Instead, a group of six librarians in this small Central Texas county will be conducting a “thorough review” of every children’s book in the library, at the behest of the Llano County Commissioners Court. Their mission will be to make sure all of the reading material for younger readers includes subjects that are age-appropriate. A new “young adults plus” section will be added to separate books written for an older teen audience from those geared toward younger readers.

“I think we owe it to all parents, regardless if it’s a school library or a public library, to make sure that material is not inappropriate for children,” Llano County Judge Ron Cunningham said.

The Llano County community’s push to scrutinize the local library’s book stacks comes two months after a Texas lawmaker first questioned the inclusion of more than 850 books about race, equality or sexuality in public school libraries.

And Llano County is not the only community in Texas asking harder questions.

Local public libraries in Texas, including those in Victoria, Irving and Tyler, are fielding a flurry of book challenges from local residents. While book challenges are nothing new, there has been a growing number of complaints about books for libraries in recent months. And the fact that the numbers are rising after questions are being raised about school library content seems more than coincidental, according to the Texas Library Association.

One Victoria resident who pushed for book removals was Cindy Herndon.

“It’s nothing that I have against anybody in any community,” said Herndon, 64. “I don’t have any resentment or lack of respect for them. It’s just about protecting the children and exposing them to things that they really don’t need to see right now.”

One of the books she wanted removed was “The Black Flamingo” by Dean Atta, a coming-of-age novel about a mixed-race gay teen who becomes a drag artist.

After reading the book, Herndon said she was opposed to it because to her it seemed to “sexualize children, especially into alternate lifestyles, and make them want to be someone else than who they were born to be.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:42 am

What about just making books available and letting parents and children decide what they'd like to read?

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:49 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:42 am
What about just making books available and letting parents and children decide what they'd like to read?
That does not suit the small narrow minds Brian. It is UnAmerican. You have to lead the sheeple and you cant let them think; far too dangerous. :{D

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:14 am

It’s 2021 and once again they’re banning books. What message does that send?
Juno Dawson wrote:My work is among 850 inclusive titles a Texas lawmaker wants out of school libraries. And what a surprise, 62% are LGBTQ+

It’s becoming worryingly frequent for me to get emails from librarians telling me that one of my books has been “challenged”. Recently, two of my titles – This Book Is Gay and Understanding Gender – appeared on a very long list of books that the Texas lawmaker Matt Krause would like to see removed from schools. I’m in good company: Margaret Atwood, the young adult bestseller Adam Silvera, and the V for Vendetta author Alan Moore also feature, alongside Ta-Nehisi Coates, Jeffrey Eugenides and – for whatever reason – a book by James Patterson.

Book “banning” is nothing new. Few sights are more enduring, or chilling, than the photographs of Nazi youth raiding Magnus Hirschfeld’s Institute of Sexology in 1933 and burning the books they found there. Book burning remains synonymous with censorship, dictatorship and autocracy. As a writer, I think it’s up to publishers to decide if they want their name associated with prejudice – even with authors and books I disagree with fundamentally on ideological grounds. But this isn’t indicative of some evenly split “culture war”. Krause only wants liberal, or inclusive, books banned.
Amazing but would expect anything else.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:31 pm

Yeah, get rid of those gay teen trans things. And from the other side, ban Huckleberry Finn because it contains the word "nigger".

They're all assholes, they're all are pushing an agenda, and they can all go fuck themselves sideways.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:16 pm

As soon as the the voting rights bill comes up in the spring, all of Foxnews will scream: "Critical Race Theory!"
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:03 pm

Counties deleting "foreigners" from voting register
The secretary of state flags anyone as a suspected non-citizen if they register to vote and then subsequently visit the Texas department of public safety (DPS), the state’s driver’s license agency, and indicates they are not a citizen.

Local election officials in Texas’ 254 counties are then asked to review the names. If those officials cannot verify citizenship, they are required to send them a letter asking them to prove their citizenship within 30 days or else their voter registration gets cancelled.

But election officials in Harris county, the most populous in the state, are concerned about the accuracy of the data being used to challenge voters.

After the county mailed proof of citizenship requests to 2,796 people, 167 voters - nearly 6% of those contacted – responded with proof of citizenship. The state removed an additional 161 people from the list of people whose citizenship needed to be verified, according to a county official.

“We are not confident in the quality of the information we are being mandated to act upon,” Isabel Longoria, the county’s election administrator, said in an email.

In Fort Bend county, just outside of Houston, officials mailed notices to 515 people in October. About 20% responded with proof of citizenship and the rest were removed from the rolls, according to John Oldham, the county’s election administrator. Many of the people who responded said they had accidentally checked a box during their DPS transaction indicating they were not citizens, Oldham said.

In Cameron county, along the US-Mexico border, election officials have sent out 246 letter since September, almost all to people with Hispanic surnames, according to the Texas Monthly, which first reported the program restarted. About 60 people have been cancelled so far.

After the notices went out, a married couple who had heard about the notices came into the elections office to provide their naturalization papers, even though the couple’s citizenship wasn’t challenged, said Remi Garza, the county elections administrator.

“It saddened me too,” Garza said. “People who shouldn’t have to be concerned about this type of proving citizenship felt that the had to do that.”

Voting rights groups say they are trying to better understand the process the state is using, but are concerned eligible voters are getting targeted.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... itizenship
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...