Meanwhile, Texas

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Meanwhile, Texas

Post by Tero » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:00 am

Just band them books. Use the Internet. It only has facts.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:02 pm

'false flag'? So they try to lump it all on Stalin instead of it being shared between him and toothbrush moustache?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:52 pm

"False Flag" --nah, just the unconscious dishonest ape doing its thing...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm

There's a reason white supremacy attacks history. Opposition to teaching bigotry's history and where it leads — from the slave trade to the Holocaust — is about erasing society’s tools to recognize prejudice & prevent atrocity. Holocaust denial has no place in our society. None.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

I wonder if anyone has bothered to look into the number of times our leaders make these mistakes. It would be interesting to then compare to how often it happened in the past, and if there is a meaningful difference to look for what's driving it. Twitter! :hehe:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:09 pm

It's possible that Preddy was not overtly or knowingly pursuing a Republican/'traditional American'/white supremacist agenda. Her statement however was at minimum that of a useful idiot for the 'traditional American' whitewashing of history.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:04 pm

AOC's comment is not remotely close to connecting with what actually happened/is happening.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:28 pm

Please elaborate. Do you believe that the current hysteria from Republicans about teaching the history of bigotry in the US has no relation to white supremacy?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:45 pm

I've posted the Texas requirements for teaching about these issues before in response to similar hysteria. Do you believe Texas schools teach alternatives to the Holocaust, or slavery, or the treatment of Native Americans, or that they plan to?

--//--

--brain fart sums it nicely imo... A veteran employee, likely with too much on her plate fails to adequately prepare herself to deliver new training, fumbles, and rather than risk showing ignorance doubles down by claiming "believe me it's come up" in response to being challenged with: how do we teach the other side of the Holocaust?

Might her knee-jerk response be informed by Republican views? Absolutely. Is what happened anything like the picture presented by comments like AOC's? Not if teachers are teaching to the requirements...

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:58 am

Indeed, on paper it appears upstanding. It's interpretation that can be problematic, particularly regarding the 'discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress' clause. As a parallel, the US Constitution as written is a fine document in which you'd be hard pressed to find accommodation for slavery. Yet we know that slavery was indeed accommodated.

You put the opposition to the bill down to 'hysteria.' What do you think has invoked that hysteria?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 am

I think the proof the correct interpretation is being taught is in the activism itself. The numbers required for such dramatic shifts being made possible in part by decades of teaching the history of oppression.

To me the question here shouldn't be what drives opposition to continuing that education, but whether or not this is an example of that opposition. Does this botched training represent a threat to teaching the Holocaust? Also, is it reasonable to paint the Texas school system as toying with the idea of teaching Holocaust denial because of it? Are Texas schools on the verge of teaching Holocaust denial to appease white supremacists?

So why make out that they are? Somebody has got to break the trend of pushing everyone further and further to the extremes...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:23 am

"Texas teachers aren't about to teach Holocaust denial. They even challenged the idea the second it was brought up. "How"? indeed. Our educators know there weren't good people on both sides..."

AOC in non-twitter world... :dunno:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Ocasio-Cortez is speaking to the wider implications of the Republican attack on a more realistic approach to American history. The 'brain-fart' from Preddy didn't come out of the clear blue sky. She was attempting to navigate the new landscape presented by the Texas law.

I appreciate your faith in Texas teachers, and I believe it is justified in the main. I don't think it's particularly relevant though.

Holocaust denial here is only a stand-in for a desire that's been widely expressed to in essence return to a rosy, heroic version of American history, minus the bloody oppression and ethnic cleansing which characterized US domestic policy for well over a century after 1776, never mind before that.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:53 pm

I agree the brain fart did not come out of the clear blue sky, it may be influenced by exposure to Republican views. The relevance to pointing out that it isn't remotely connected to Ocasio-Cortez's comment is preventing further separation between reality and our narratives; the very thing driving extremism at the edges of both sides, and a general ill-feeling all around.

Texas is not flirting with teaching a white supremacist agenda, and the US as a whole isn't teaching anything like the worst of AOC's fears. It's time people recognize that the millions of supporters behind them didn't get that way living in the country of their twisted narratives i.e. where are all your friends raised to believe there are two sides to the Holocaust, to slavery, to the treatment of Native Americans? They don't exist, precisely because --in large part-- we have taught and lived the exact opposite for decades now.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:38 pm

Occasional-Cortex is speaking utter twaddle as usual. She's as full of shit as a fucking Christmas turkey and anyone who can't see that needs to do some 'shrooms. You know. "re-center" yourself or something. Seriously - the entire Texas school system is infested with White Supremecist Holocaust Deniers?

Jesus. Get a fucking grip.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:37 pm

I think they speak to each other's narratives.

Here are a few of the boards of trustees from the largest districts in Texas. It's worth looking at superintendents, principals and other demographics as well --draw conclusions at your own risk :biggrin:
foto_no_exif.jpg