All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 pm
But for a lot of issues, and going forward, if the expectation is that democracy will lead to good outcomes, the people have to be capable of producing those outcomes, and it seems to me that this is not dependent solely on their ability to participate.
These are 2 separate issues. The basic need for any democracy to ensure that the maximum number of eligible voters participates stands alone from any discussion of the outcomes of the voting process. To me, there are 2 parts to such a challenge. One is to ensure that there are no systemic issues which disenfranchise voters, and the second is to combat apathy, and to ensure that as many people as possible are committed to playing their part in democratic processes.

Then we have your issue of wanting "good outcomes". Of course, people will have a diverse range of opinions on what counts as "good outcomes". Here, I think that we simply need to be hopeful about the fruits of the changing zeitgeist...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:51 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm
Seabass wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:00 pm
If we had the will of the people in the US, we'd have had Gore instead of Shrub, we'd have Hillary instead of Trump, the Senate would be controlled by Democrats, and the Scotus would be 7-2 liberal-conservative. The trouble with the US isn't too much democracy; the problem is that there is barely any democracy to speak of.
By the will of the people the US has engaged in numerous senseless foreign wars, desegregation took longer than it should have, welfare has been seen as harmful, abortion remains a contentious issue, and gay marriage was unthinkable until recently...

I think you may be dizzy from the success of having the wind at your back today.
You've totally missed his point. Gerrymandering isn't the "will of the people".
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 pm

I didn't miss his point. The will of the people does not necessarily lead to favorable outcomes. I gave examples of when the will of the people stood in the way. It's a reasonable response to the claim that what stands in the way of good outcomes is a lack of participation in decision making.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:58 pm

But you don't need gerrymandering. Rurals always win. And even more:

Why Big-City Dominance Is a Problem for Democrats
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ts/617161/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm

JimC wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:04 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
But for a lot of issues, and going forward, if the expectation is that democracy will lead to good outcomes, the people have to be capable of producing those outcomes, and it seems to me that this is not dependent solely on their ability to participate.
These are 2 separate issues. The basic need for any democracy to ensure that the maximum number of eligible voters participates stands alone from any discussion of the outcomes of the voting process. To me, there are 2 parts to such a challenge. One is to ensure that there are no systemic issues which disenfranchise voters, and the second is to combat apathy, and to ensure that as many people as possible are committed to playing their part in democratic processes.

Then we have your issue of wanting "good outcomes". Of course, people will have a diverse range of opinions on what counts as "good outcomes". Here, I think that we simply need to be hopeful about the fruits of the changing zeitgeist...
You mean that it is possible to ensure as many people vote as can without worrying about the outcome, and I agree. That is possible. But what good is it? Who votes cannot possibly be irrelevant to the outcome, and hoping for the best hardly sounds promising or reasonable...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 pm
I didn't miss his point. The will of the people does not necessarily lead to favorable outcomes. I gave examples of when the will of the people stood in the way.
No you didn't. You gave examples of where the will of a minority stood in the way of the will of the majority.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 pm

No, I didn't. The majority opinion saw efforts at desegregation as moving too quickly. The majority supported the Gulf War, and majority opinion did not support gay marriage until --I think-- ~2005.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 pm

How do you know? You don't have a majoritarian system.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:21 pm

Admittedly I'm relying on polling, but none of the examples are particularly controversial.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:51 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm
JimC wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

You mean that it is possible to ensure as many people vote as can without worrying about the outcome, and I agree. That is possible. But what good is it? Who votes cannot possibly be irrelevant to the outcome, and hoping for the best hardly sounds promising or reasonable...
The part of your post that I've highlighted is a slippery slope into some very dangerous territory. Clearly it is true in a bald sense - if only white folk voted in the US, or only people with college degrees, or only those who can pass a science exam, or a history exam, or... we'd have very different outcomes.

Putting any except the most obvious limitations on voting (an age limit, possibly limits on those serving jail sentences...) runs a clear risk of distorting democracy even further than current levels. Who decides who votes, and in whose interests would that be?

In general, there are a variety of aspects of how a given society functions that will affect what might call the quality of choice exercised by a voter. Amongst those would be the quality and extent of a society's education system, and the diversity and quality of mass media, as well as how well a society defends itself from malign external influences with their own agenda. There is no magic bullet, but disenfranchising significant parts of a society will always be the wrong choice.
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:53 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:10 pm
No, I didn't. The majority opinion saw efforts at desegregation as moving too quickly. The majority supported the Gulf War, and majority opinion did not support gay marriage until --I think-- ~2005.
The "until" underlines the fact that there is some reality in my possibly naive suggestion that the changing zeitgeist is one source of hope for the future...
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:14 am

Trump to knock off a piece of civil service. It's already signed.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/politics ... index.html

The constitution does not require even a cabinet, let alone departments.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:31 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:51 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:00 pm
JimC wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:

The part of your post that I've highlighted is a slippery slope into some very dangerous territory. Clearly it is true in a bald sense - if only white folk voted in the US, or only people with college degrees, or only those who can pass a science exam, or a history exam, or... we'd have very different outcomes.

Putting any except the most obvious limitations on voting (an age limit, possibly limits on those serving jail sentences...) runs a clear risk of distorting democracy even further than current levels. Who decides who votes, and in whose interests would that be?

In general, there are a variety of aspects of how a given society functions that will affect what might call the quality of choice exercised by a voter. Amongst those would be the quality and extent of a society's education system, and the diversity and quality of mass media, as well as how well a society defends itself from malign external influences with their own agenda. There is no magic bullet, but disenfranchising significant parts of a society will always be the wrong choice.
Millions have no interest in politics, what good is their opinion on these matters? What is the harm of acknowledging their inability to contribute meaningfully to difficult decisions?

--always wrong is too strong

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:57 pm
I didn't miss his point. The will of the people does not necessarily lead to favorable outcomes.
No matter what the outcome turns out to be, judgement on it will always be split by definition unless the vote is unanimous. And when does that ever happen? People who are in favour of capital punishment will always regard its abolition as an unfavourable outcome. It's reintroduction will always be regarded as an unfavourable outcome by opponents of capital punishment. You can argue until you are blue in the face which is which.

In regard to the numerous senseless foreign wars, it is possible that - given the chance - a majority might have voted in favour of at least some of them, but they were not, and those wars happened anyway. The possibility of unfavourable outcomes on grounds of a majority vote is a red herring unless you can demonstrate that unfavourable outcomes are a more likely result if policies are determined on those grounds.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:53 am

Rule by the majority may produce favorable outcomes, it may not. The claim as I understand it is that unfavorable outcomes are the result of a lack of participation. If more people participate, the outcomes will be better.

This isn't exactly analogous to majority rule, but the idea that the more people get involved the closer policy will be to favorable --ie progressive-- does rely on a majority being convinced to at least vote like progressives. Showing how majorities have often failed to support progress calls into question the viability of such a suggestion.

More importantly to me, it challenges the expectations being set by Monbiot in his video.

I imagine Monbiot might counter that the democratic process, as he imagines it, necessarily leads to exactly that. It's transformative. Yes, the majority will support terrible policy, but not if they're encouraged to participate in the right way...