All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:27 pm

Trump still talking as if the Mueller investigation was always and only ever about him. The collusion narrative is something he's promoted at every turn.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 pm

only the deranged even believe it is, winters are ever colder.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 pm
only the deranged even believe it is, winters are ever colder.
No, Svarty, it's your circulation getting worse every year... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 pm

"Climate change" is the prefered nomenclature. Who fucking knows? Looks like the climate is changing, at least from what we can tell from the tiny little chunk of data we've got. Not shit we can do about it, because a) if it truly is anthropogenic nobody is going to do anything about it because there are 5 billion ground apes lining up for air conditioning and new cars, and b) if it isn't anthropogenic there's fuck all anyone can do about it anyway. Mother Earth doesn't give a shit, she'll be fine, and in 10,000 years you won't even know we were ever here. Seth wasn't always wrong, you know, adapt or die. It has always been thus. Ask any trilobite.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:37 pm
So - back to the OP topic?

"Is it over yet?"

Yes, indeed, it's over. Nobody in the Trump campaign did anything to constitute collusion with Russia.
No, the "it" in the topic refers to Trump's presidency. Unfortunately it isn't over yet. :sadcheer:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 pm
"Climate change" is the prefered nomenclature. Who fucking knows? Looks like the climate is changing, at least from what we can tell from the tiny little chunk of data we've got. Not shit we can do about it, because a) if it truly is anthropogenic nobody is going to do anything about it because there are 5 billion ground apes lining up for air conditioning and new cars, and b) if it isn't anthropogenic there's fuck all anyone can do about it anyway. Mother Earth doesn't give a shit, she'll be fine, and in 10,000 years you won't even know we were ever here. Seth wasn't always wrong, you know, adapt or die. It has always been thus. Ask any trilobite.
Aderpt or derp!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:10 pm

JimC wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm
At the very least, the Trump team had to be aware of Russian interference in the election, and gleefully let it happen...
That would be the Obama administration, and they are about to be investigated over it. :{D
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 pm

laklak wrote:
I'm not so pessimistic as that. We don't really know how adaptable we are.

It makes me think about that old saying, “depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

I don't think we've collectively reached that point yet.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 pm

73340474-C7C1-4755-870D-C88915008262.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:32 pm

laklak wrote:
But there is shit we can do about it, and there's shit other countries are doing about it, but we Merkins aren't going to do shit about it because we keep putting the goddamn Republicans in power! Many of us would prefer to adapt rather than die, but Republicans make that impossible.
Last edited by Seabass on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 pm

laklak wrote:
And like I said to Seth; moving to renewable sources and changing our whole way of thinking IS adapt or die.

But his version of adapt or die seemed to be, "Let the floods come. Let the extreme weather come. Let Africa burn. Let the seas rise and the biodiversity collapse. Those who are plucky enough will survive. Those without the will (ie. the means. ie. the poor and those without resources) will die. But in no way should we step in to prevent this because that's Communism."

His view was sick and twisted, devoid of empathy, and lacking in compromise. He is narrow-minded dinosaur set in his ways whi doesn't have the (ironically) adaptability or foresight to see any other way than what he has always known.
Last edited by Animavore on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:35 pm

I have found, over the course of the last 6 1/2 decades, that optimism rarely pans out. Pessimism, OTOH, is the correct attitude 90% of the time, and the remaining 10% gets you a pleasant surprise.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm pessimistic too, but I don't see the point of translating that into a self-fulfilling prophecy just to prove the point.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:02 am

I know, right?

"We're not going to fix the problem, so we may as well vote Republican."
"But votes for Republicans are the reason we won't fix the problem."
"And since we're not going to fix the problem anyway, we may as well vote Republican."

Goddammit, we're doomed. :doh:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:53 am

Barr’s Startling and Unseemly Haste
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... er/585628/
...The attorney general showed no such circumspection. In less than 48 hours, he and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein—who supervised Mueller for most of his investigation—“concluded that the evidence developed during the Special Counsel’s investigation is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction-of-justice offence.” Though Barr emphasized that he and Rosenstein had been involved in evaluating the status of the investigation for months, and that they consulted the Office of Legal Counsel and other Department of Justice experts, this conclusion reflects startling and unseemly haste for such a historic matter.

Crucially, we don’t know whether Barr concluded that the president didn’t obstruct justice or that he couldn’t obstruct justice. Well before his appointment, Barr wrote an unsolicited memo to Rosenstein arguing that Mueller’s investigation was “fatally misconceived,” to the extent that it was premised on Trump firing former FBI Director James Comey or trying to persuade Comey to drop the investigation of Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national-security adviser. Barr’s memo was a forceful exposition of the legal argument that the president cannot obstruct justice by exercising certain core powers such as hiring or firing staff or directing the course of executive-branch investigations. So although Barr’s letter to Congress says that he and Rosenstein found no actions that constituted “obstructive conduct” undertaken with the requisite corrupt intent, we don’t know whether he means that Trump didn’t try to interfere with an investigation, or that even if he did, it wasn’t obstruction for a president to do so. Democrats in Congress will want to probe that distinction—as they should.

Mueller’s report was initially confidential under Department of Justice regulations governing the special counsel. In Sunday’s letter, Barr said his goal was to release as much of it as possible consistent with the law. In particular, he noted that the report includes information about matters occurring before a grand jury that are secret as a matter of federal law, and that some other references in the report might reveal the status of ongoing investigations. Barr must abide by his promise to resolve those questions promptly and in favor of as much disclosure as the law permits. It’s impossible to evaluate the results of Mueller’s investigation—and their legal, political, and historical significance—without the details.