All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am

I haven't felt this close to an election --ever. He has to lose, and decidedly.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 am
Yes I know the rationale, but it becomes a cacophony. Cacophony isn't a great environment for attempting some analytical thinking. Oh well. This will get a definite segment in Harry Shearer's copyrighted feature 'News of the Inspectors General.'

If you don't know who Harry Shearer is, and have never listened to Le Show, maybe consider rectifying that. I know I sound like some Canadian leftist pushing alt-journalists of questionable ethics and integrity, but I maintain that Harry Shearer is in a completely different space.

Le Show has been on the air since the 80s, on the internet since the oughts, and Shearer has done some really superb work in that time, including an ongoing look inside the Clinton White House, a long-running private audio diary from Dick Cheney, and many other truly entertaining pieces. In addition he does long-term observations on topics of interest, including global warming, 'smart' technology, Apologies of the Week (another copyrighted feature), and others, of late including the amazing attack by the Trump administration on the US Inspectors General, an office intended to provide independent oversight of the US government.

Secretary of State Pompeo said something along the lines of 'He needed to go home. No further comment.'

'"This Doesn't Smell Right": Acting State Dept. Inspector General Resigns Just Months After Predecessor Fired'
"This doesn't smell right."

That was the reaction from Chris Lu, who held multiple positions in the Obama administration including White House cabinet secretary, to news Wednesday that State Department acting Inspector General Stephen Akard is leaving the post less than three months after the administration ousted the previous IG.

Akard, an ally of Vice President Mike Pence who had been simultaneously serving as Director of the Office of Foreign Missions, is returning to the private sector, department officials said.

According to the Washington Post, which was the first to report on the development, staff was informed of Akard's leaving by Deputy IG Diana Shaw, who also said she would take on the role of temporary acting inspector general.

President Donald Trump announced in May that Akard would serve as the head of the Office of Inspector General after ousting his predecessor, Steve Linick—a move seen as continuing a purge of IGs and an attack on government oversight.
--didn't want it lost to the next page

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:08 am

NineBerry wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 pm
Explosion in Beirut. Probably an accident because of storing chemicals unsafely.

Trump says in press conference he believes it was a bomb or military attack. Twitter full of q-idiots who say it cannot be an accident because an accident wouldn't be so big.

The things reminded me of the fireworks factory explosion in the Netherlands 20 years ago. These videos show what an accident can look like (Violence)

Netherlands has the best explosions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:21 am

I think the Beirut one takes the cake. I heard it said on the tele today that it was second to only nuclear detonations in terms of explosive power. More explosive than any conventional weapon.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:21 am
I think the Beirut one takes the cake. I heard it said on the tele today that it was second to only nuclear detonations in terms of explosive power. More explosive than any conventional weapon.
The Dutch explosion was better, trailer park man, and let me tell you why: It was Dutch!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 am

Apparently Newcastle (in Australia) has an even bigger store of ammonium nitrate at its port. You'd like to think it would be stored in safer conditions here. Let's fucking hope so.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 am
Apparently Newcastle (in Australia) has an even bigger store of ammonium nitrate at its port. You'd like to think it would be stored in safer conditions here. Let's fucking hope so.
Some useful articles. First, by a chemical engineer, about ammonium nitrate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-06/ ... t/12529426

Then, an article about the Newcastle stockpile:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/ ... e/12527546
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:15 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:29 am
Some useful articles. First, by a chemical engineer, about ammonium nitrate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-06/ ... t/12529426

Then, an article about the Newcastle stockpile:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/ ... e/12527546
I once tried to make nitrous oxide (laughing gas) for experimental purposes.

...only later did I discover that the conditions were between the deflagration and detonation point of ammonium nitrate. :shock:

NH4NO3 --> N2O + 2H20
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:21 am

Laughter is explosive

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:19 am
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 am
Yes I know the rationale, but it becomes a cacophony. Cacophony isn't a great environment for attempting some analytical thinking. Oh well. This will get a definite segment in Harry Shearer's copyrighted feature 'News of the Inspectors General.'

If you don't know who Harry Shearer is, and have never listened to Le Show, maybe consider rectifying that. I know I sound like some Canadian leftist pushing alt-journalists of questionable ethics and integrity, but I maintain that Harry Shearer is in a completely different space.

Le Show has been on the air since the 80s, on the internet since the oughts, and Shearer has done some really superb work in that time, including an ongoing look inside the Clinton White House, a long-running private audio diary from Dick Cheney, and many other truly entertaining pieces. In addition he does long-term observations on topics of interest, including global warming, 'smart' technology, Apologies of the Week (another copyrighted feature), and others, of late including the amazing attack by the Trump administration on the US Inspectors General, an office intended to provide independent oversight of the US government.

Secretary of State Pompeo said something along the lines of 'He needed to go home. No further comment.'

'"This Doesn't Smell Right": Acting State Dept. Inspector General Resigns Just Months After Predecessor Fired'
"This doesn't smell right."

That was the reaction from Chris Lu, who held multiple positions in the Obama administration including White House cabinet secretary, to news Wednesday that State Department acting Inspector General Stephen Akard is leaving the post less than three months after the administration ousted the previous IG.

Akard, an ally of Vice President Mike Pence who had been simultaneously serving as Director of the Office of Foreign Missions, is returning to the private sector, department officials said.

According to the Washington Post, which was the first to report on the development, staff was informed of Akard's leaving by Deputy IG Diana Shaw, who also said she would take on the role of temporary acting inspector general.

President Donald Trump announced in May that Akard would serve as the head of the Office of Inspector General after ousting his predecessor, Steve Linick—a move seen as continuing a purge of IGs and an attack on government oversight.
--didn't want it lost to the next page
How many 'acting' this-or-that dept heads are there at present? It sometimes seems that there's about 6 people covering all the top jobs.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 pm

...and they're all acting strangely...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm
How many 'acting' this-or-that dept heads are there at present? It sometimes seems that there's about 6 people covering all the top jobs.
Trump really appreciates the ability to appoint an acting head of a department, or any other position that may be convenient for him. It avoids the hassle of a Senate confirmation hearing, and the acting head serves at the president's pleasure. What's not to like? I don't have a reliable acting head count, but a year ago the list was significant, and I think it likely still is, though of course not all the same names would be on the list.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:25 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:53 pm
...and they're all acting strangely...
Six months into the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re still learning what the disease can do. There are now detailed reports of brain illness emerging in people with relatively mild lung illness, in those who are critically ill and also in those in recovery.
https://theconversation.com/how-coronav ... ain-141100

:smug: Coincidence? :smug:
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:19 pm
Trump really appreciates the ability to appoint an acting head of a department, or any other position that may be convenient for him. It avoids the hassle of a Senate confirmation hearing, and the acting head serves at the president's pleasure. What's not to like? I don't have a reliable acting head count, but a year ago the list was significant, and I think it likely still is, though of course not all the same names would be on the list.
Cheers :tup:

Are there any limits on the powers of acting dept/institution heads over the Senate-confirmed roles? If not, which president from now on is going to bother with the pantomime of getting broader political approval for their appointees?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 am

BArF−4