Media Bias

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Media Bias

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:27 am

That boy is such a snowflake.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:38 pm

He is a special fellow, but I think not in the way that fan boys believe.

One of his pet journalists decamping because of restrictions to free speech ... :sadcheer:

'One of Elon's handpicked "Twitter Files" writers quits Twitter over its Substack restrictions'
Matt Taibbi has announced that he’s leaving Twitter amid the company’s ongoing spat with newsletter platform Substack.

If Taibbi’s name doesn’t immediately ring a bell, perhaps the phrase “Twitter Files” might. Using access granted by Twitter CEO and self-avowed free speech enthusiast Elon Musk, Taibbi and other journalists have shared internal Twitter information that was intended to reveal how corrupt the company’s previous leadership was. (What they actually revealed was Jack Dorsey’s personal email address and some sloppy journalism. Oops.)

Twitter seems to be in a drag-out fight with Substack, blocking users from liking, replying to, or retweeting many tweets with Substack URLs and, in what appears to be an escalation, limiting how you can interact with tweets from Substack’s Twitter account itself. Taibbi now says he’s been told (by whom he did not say) that Twitter’s backlash against Substack posts is because the newsletter platform recently announced a Twitter-like feature called Notes.

“Since sharing links to my articles is a primary reason I come to this platform, I was alarmed and asked what was going on,” he tweeted. He said that he was given the option of “posting articles on Twitter instead.” (Again, no word on who gave that ultimatum.) Taibbi says he plans to stay with Substack and start using Notes, something he says “apparently will come with a price as far as any future Twitter Files reports are concerned.”

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:51 pm

Little known fact: Megaphones are deadly weapons!

'Fox News Host Whines About the "Violence" of Lawmakers Demanding Gun Control'
Fox News host Cheryl Casone launched into a brief monologue on Saturday to suggest the Biden administration was “glorifying” violence by inviting the Tennessee Three to the White House. “Shame on those politicians, by the way, all three of them,” she said of the three lawmakers who protested in favor of gun-control measures on the House floor after a deadly mass shooting. Biden’s “going to host them at the White House?!? Are you kidding me?!?” she said. “Politics should not be about violence, full stop, no matter what side of the aisle you’re on,” Casone said. The call for gun reform that caused Black representatives Justin Pearson and Justin Jones to be voted out of the House was completely non-violent. But Casone expressed outrage that the White House, according to her, was glorifying “the anger and the ridiculousness” of the lawmakers. “It makes me very, very sad,” she said. Meanwhile, Casone made no mention of other recent Tennessee legislators who have been accused of sexual harassment or violating campaign finance laws.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:22 pm

To the fascist a megaphone is as dangerous a weapon as a milkshake.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:29 pm

a milkshake is a dangerous weapon?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:37 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:29 pm
a milkshake is a dangerous weapon?
It's a thing.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:24 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:22 pm
To the fascist a megaphone is as dangerous a weapon as a milkshake.
:biggrin: :tup:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:25 pm

ok, I'm going to wrap myself in the deadly weapon called a quilt and cry quietly on mankind.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:01 am

On the previous page it was noted that the American public radio network NPR (National Public Radio) had stopped using Twitter due to being labeled in the same category as Russian and Chinese government-run media outlets as "state-affiliated media." Musk backed off a little after NPR pointed out that it gets only 1% of its funding from the US government (the rest ultimately comes from voluntary payments by listeners). NPR is not impressed, and for now is keeping off Twitter (maybe we're supposed to say "X" now).

'NPR Ditches Twitter After Elon Musk Labeled It "State-Affiliated Media"'
National Public Radio has decided it’s had enough of Twitter after “Chief Twit” Elon Musk falsely labeled the news organization “state-affiliated media,” placing it in the same league as propaganda outlets from China and Russia.

NPR stopped tweeting from its main account last week after Musk hit it with the designation. After NPR tech reporter Bobby Allyn pressed Musk on the issue, the social media site’s owner acknowledged he might have been mistaken.

Twitter then revised the label to “government-funded,” which NPR also said was misleading as the outlet receives only 1 percent of its funding from the federal government. Additionally, the company is editorially independent and is a private non-profit.

In an interview with NPR on Wednesday, NPR CEO John Lansing said he would “never have our content go anywhere that would risk our credibility,” adding that NPR needs the ability to report without “a shadow of negativity.”

He also noted that the network wouldn’t immediately return to the site even if Musk dropped the label altogether, saying, “I have lost my faith in the decision-making at Twitter” and “need some time to understand whether Twitter can be trusted again.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:46 am

We've clearly reached Peak Twitter. Even as a venue where media and corporations talk among themselves it's on the decline. The yoof are abandoning it and advertisers are increasingly reluctant to spend their money there unless they're appealling to the gammonish reactionaries who've claimed it as there safe space. Of course, it's reach is still massive, but the more Elon digs into assuming his own thoughts about and experiences of Twitter represent the normative experience of everyday users around the world the less relevant it will become to people's regular lives. It even looks like he's planning his escape route with the X Holdings shenanigans - no doubt leaving the bills unpaid in the process, like smart people do apparently.

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:09 am

Taibbi has apparently revised his opinion.

'Matt Taibbi, Who Said "I Wouldn’t Wipe My Ass With Twitter," Is Tweeting Again
He didn’t even last one Scaramucci.

Four days after declaring he “wouldn’t wipe my ass with Twitter,” Matt Taibbi returned to the platform on Monday night, sharing his latest Substack post.

The anticlimactic return comes barely a week after he made a dramatic exit from the social media site following a public spat with the site’s owner, Elon Musk. One of Musk’s handpicked disseminators of the so-called Twitter Files, Taibbi said this month that Musk had made Twitter “unusable” after the “Chief Twit” restricted links to Substack over the publishing platform’s new chat feature. (Musk has since eased up on the restrictions.)

“Beginning early next week I’ll be using the new Substack Notes feature (to which you’ll all have access) instead of Twitter, a decision that apparently will come with a price as far as any future Twitter Files reports are concerned,” Taibbi said in his goodbye email to Twitter.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:27 am

Shows you what economic power Twitter has, as I'm sure Matt's bottom line took a hit when his substack drifted towards an 'infogagement' wilderness.

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:13 pm

fox lead story.jpg
Fox news lost nearly a billion to Dominion voting machine company. Not a word on Fox news page. This is their lead story.

real story

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/ ... index.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:59 pm

Well they ran a story. Listing the settlement. Then listing "election was stolen" claims by Trump staff. Fox not at fault! Merely reporting Trump claims.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 pm

The Dominion voting machine produced a piece of paper for each voter. The voter takes that to the desk in a folder. I think you drop it into a boxxyiurself. Those were used for recounts.