Media Bias

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Media Bias

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I looked for a thread about media bias but if there is one, I didn't dive deep enough into the stacks. This post happens to be about US cable TV, but I labelled the thread in a generic fashion so that it can serve as a place for discussion of the topic generally.

In the US, two politicians recently made statements that were perceived as grounds for comment and some degree of pearl-clutching. A Democratic woman, daughter of Muslim immigrants, used vulgar language ('impeach the motherfucker') to refer to the president. Meanwhile a Republican man with a long record of making racist comments made a comment in which he queried the shunning of white racist groups ('White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?') He then tried to claim that he doesn't support racism and isn't a racist himself, really.

There was plenty of coverage of the two statements, but one of them got far more attention on US cable TV news.

'Rep. Rashida Tlaib cursing got 5 times more coverage on cable news than Rep. Steve King embracing white supremacy'
When it comes to a congresswoman cursing versus a congressman embracing white supremacy, cable news apparently believes the cursing deserves more coverage -- five times more coverage, to be exact.

On January 4, the day after Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI) referred to President Donald Trump by saying “Impeach the motherfucker” during a reception with supporters, cable news outlets (CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC) spent over two and a half hours discussing the topic. In comparison, in the roughly 24 hours following the publication of Rep. Steve King's (R-IA) comments in The New York Times that showed him embracing white supremacy, cable news devoted just under 30 minutes of coverage to the congressman’s racism.

Maybe Tlaib's comment was more newsworthy because she's a new face on the national scene, while nobody who's followed the news is surprised to hear Steve King expressing a view for which he's already known. Alternatively this may be evidence of a double standard. :dunno:

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Media Bias

Post by Seabass » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm

:funny: Fox News covered Steve King's recent comments for all of 42 seconds?! That's funny.

But yeah, Steve King has been spewing racist shit for years, so no doubt we've all become rather accustomed to it. And the right is really into smear, so they're going to milk the "motherfucker" comment for all it's worth.

The MSM tends to be pro-corporate, pro-capitalism, pro-war, and pro-status quo—things we tend to associate with the right. They're all owned by big corporations and billionaires, afterall.

On the other hand, most media personalities tend to be socially liberal. This is probably the result of most of them being college educated and relatively well travelled compared your average schmo.

There also seems to be sort of a pathological need for MSM outlets to want to appear unbiased, which leads to them overshooting the mark and hiring right-wing kooks that have no business working in journalism. NYT seems to hire a lot conservative nutjobs to counteract accusations of liberal bias. CNN invites clowns like Kellyanne Conway on.

There is also the matter of how we define left and right. For example, I've never really thought of CNN as being particularly left-wing, but Coito and laklak do. Many of CNN's anchors clearly don't like Trump, but I don't think you have to be left-wing to dislike a bigoted, lying, fascist, authoritarian fuckknuckle. CNN was very pro-Bush and pro-war only a few years ago (of course, they eventually turned on him as the war dragged on and "WMD" was exposed as a lie, but that negative coverage only came later...). And they talk about Bernie and Ocasio-Cortez like they're space aliens/radical leftists, when most of their policies would have been fairly unremarkable for the Democratic party before the '80s.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I think they're left leaning in their opinion pieces, just as Fox leans right. MSNBC is about as far left as you get in the U.S.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:59 am

It would be nice if the MSM would cover this sort of thing instead of Motherfuckergate:

ACLU: Bill requiring North Dakota schools to offer Bible course 'blatantly unconstitutional'
https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/g ... ble-course
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 am

Hey, we got a thread for that muthafukin problematic shit already. Typical liberal propaganda! :lay:

___

Any corporate media entity is going to bias it's own output to suit its own interests, and if they're editorial biased one way or another it'll be because there's a profit in it. Trump and his fellow travellers might bang on about the #FAKENEWS media but they conveniently forget the audience that those organisation serve and the advertisers who want access to those audiences. When Trump complains about the #FAKENEWS media he's really complaining about capitalism. Every President and Prime Minister etc gets roasted by the media from the moment they get up, 24/7 - the difference with Trump et al is just that they're far quicker to shoot the messenger and far more vocal in demanding respect they don't really deserve.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 am

I'm biased, you're biased, we ALL biased! Plus it sells. If it bleeds, it leads.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:05 am

The bias is, of course, the outer piece of cloth around a quilt.

I know, coz Bron is making yet another one!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm

At a slight tangent to the topic, an interesting blah-piece in The Gruniad today: Fraudulent reporters harm us all. Vigilance is essential.

Vigilance ... and surprise... :whistle:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

laklak

Post by laklak » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm

I've read that the 2014 Journalist of the year admitted to making shit up.

Recently, a news org was caught altering their feed of a presidential address.

I think the media bias isn't as significant as the academia bias. In Canada, one only needs to look at 'de-colonization' efforts to find some of that bias. (if you don't do it right, government funding could be affected)

Heterodox academy is one effort to reduce that bias https://heterodoxacademy.org/
Their mission:
“I believe that university life requires that people with diverse viewpoints and perspectives encounter each other in an environment where they feel free to speak up and challenge each other. I am concerned that many academic fields and universities currently lack sufficient viewpoint diversity. I support viewpoint diversity, mutual understanding, and constructive disagreement in my academic field, my institution, my department, and my classroom.”
Trouble is, there is SO much left-leaning in academia, people coming out of there have lost track of just how left they are.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:18 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
The Gruniad
Get the spelling right, you illiterate doofus. It's The Grauniad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Hey, language is constantly evolving. Get with the program grumpus. :prof;

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:05 pm

I also think a lot of the attention to the 'motherfucker' comment was to grind in how her favoured system of government (Islam) would have viewed it.

It doesn't matter that she swore on the big book of taqiyya, only that she was hurt by criticism of her language.

And IS there something wrong with being a nationalist? I do understand that it's ok to hate white people for their race (or lack of it) but what's wrong with being nationalist? Isn't it just the other end of the spectrum ending with globalist?

Is it ok to hold a political position which is not globalist?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm

"Her favoured system of government"?

That was a big swerve - even for you!

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:33 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm
"Her favoured system of government"?

That was a big swerve - even for you! Image
How is that a 'big swerve'? I think she took her oath on the Quran...and Islam dictates - it doesn't 'suggest'.

She swore on the book of taqiyya that she will uphold a constitution which protects the freedom to insult her prophet.

Which part do you think she was being honest about?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: