Media Bias

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Media Bias

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:09 am

Was it not the name of a certain kind of soft nose bullet?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:22 pm

From memory, it had a cross cut on the tip, so when it hit, it broke up or expanded...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:40 pm

Brief but fairly comprehensive article about dumdum bullets here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:09 pm

It was illegal under the Geneva Convention? You have to shoot the right bullets!
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 am

I didn't think it possible for me to hate this guy more than I already did, but it turns out I was wrong about that.
Tucker Carlson Admits: ‘I Lie if I’m Really Cornered or Something’

Fox News host Tucker Carlson confessed over the weekend that he will “lie” whenever he’s “really cornered or something.”

During a Sunday appearance on right-wing provocateur Dave Rubin’s podcast, Carlson took aim at his rivals on CNN over what he claimed was their habit of telling falsehoods on the air. (The segment was first flagged by Media Matters, a liberal watchdog and Carlson nemesis.)

“How do you think they live with themselves at this point when they just lie again and again and we have the internet to expose the lies?” Rubin asked, adding: “We can expose it now and they still do it.”

The far-right primetime star insisted that unlike other cable news personalities, who “systematically lie,” he claimed, Carlson tries to refrain from lying himself—but will do it if he feels trapped.
Tucker Carlson: "I lie if I'm really cornered or something. I lie." https://t.co/OAZuv4JLfS https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/stat ... 8040260612

— Jason Campbell (@JasonSCampbell) September 13, 2021
“Well, it’s—I guess I would ask myself, like, I mean I lie if I’m really cornered or something,” Carlson said. “I lie. I really try not to. I try never to lie on TV. I just don’t—I don’t like lying. I certainly do it, you know, out of weakness or whatever.”

While Carlson presented his lying as a human “weakness” he works to combat, his network’s own lawyers have successfully argued in court that no “reasonable viewer” should actually believe the words coming out of his mouth on-air.

Just over the past year, of course, Carlson has peddled such obvious falsehoods as claiming the COVID-19 vaccines don’t work, the Green New Deal was responsible for Texas’ winter storm power-grid failure, immigrants are making the Potomac River “dirtier and dirtier,” and that there’s no evidence that white supremacists played a role in the violent Jan. 6 Capitol riots.

During the same Rubin segment, Carlson argued that mainstream media outlets “protect and guard the powerful” while using their influence to put its “boot on the neck of the weakest people.” The Fox host insisted that while he may have done it in the past, he no longer uses his top-rated show to target less powerful figures.

“I have done that, inadvertently over the years because I got carried away. But I really try not to. And everyone who works on our show is very aware of the most basic rule, which is don’t piss down.” he said. “Don’t attack people beneath you. If you’re gonna you know, take a punch, make sure it's upward—someone who is rich or stronger, more powerful, in charge of more things than you are. Punch up, like, that’s just a life rule. And people who punch down are the worst. They should have no power whatsoever, in my opinion.”

Besides repeatedly demonizing asylum-seeking refugees, poor immigrants, and the homeless, Carlson routinely punches down at people with far less power and influence than him or his show: school teachers, Capitol police officers, and lesser-known media figures, among others.
https://news.yahoo.com/tucker-carlson-a ... 28895.html

This fucking guy is a multi-millionaire who inherited a frozen dinner fortune who, despite not having to work for a living, chooses to make a living hosting a popular TV program on which he punches down at minorities, immigrants, refugees, black civil-rights protestors, homeless, trans people, etc. His fucking raison d'etre seems to be punching down at the less fortunate, and then he says this shit with a straight face. This guy LIVES to punch down. It's all he does!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am

Daddy issues.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:18 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:40 pm

"God bless you for being a veteran Joe, but don't you fucking dare disagree with me on my show you goddam commie piece of shit!"
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:45 pm

Anti-vaccination/right wing loon cartoonist Ben Garrison claims he's contracted covid (sounds to me like he's not going to let those nasty medicos test him though). He's treating it with beet juice, vitamins and ivermectin. Of course.

'Anti-Vaccine Cartoonist Ben Garrison Says He's Got Covid-19, Won't Go to Hospital'
Ben Garrison, a right-wing cartoonist known for his opposition to vaccines and his extremely flattering drawings of former President Donald Trump, told Gizmodo late Sunday that he contracted covid-19 and has been sick for about two weeks. But allegedly getting covid hasn’t changed Garrison’s mind about modern medical science.

Garrison, who lives in Montana, believes that he got covid-19 while dining out at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago. Montana has seen a disturbing rise in coronavirus cases in recent weeks, with about 900 new cases each day.

“Yes, it’s definitely Covid and we’ve had all the symptoms. My wife and [I] went out with a couple to a restaurant and the next day all four of us were sick. One of us went to see a doctor and was told she had Covid, and that was the clincher,” Garrison told Gizmodo via email. (Garrison has been banned from Twitter for supporting the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on January 6.)

“We’re taking Ivermectin and various vitamins including a lot of Zinc,” Garrison continued, explaining what he’s doing to treat the disease. The cartoonist also notes he’s taking beet root juice. None of this has been proven to treat or prevent covid-19, with monoclonal antibodies and vaccines being the only real ways to fight this pandemic, which is still raging in many parts of the world.

When Gizmodo asked Garrison whether he’d been vaccinated against covid-19, he repeated many of the same conspiracy theories that appear in his cartoons.

“We will never take their foul spike protein-producing jabs, which are neither safe nor effective. They’re not real vaccines. They’re gene therapy,” Garrison wrote in an email to Gizmodo.

The various covid-19 vaccines that have been approved for use in the U.S. by Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, have been shown to be safe and effective.

“15,000 have died as a result of the Covid vaccines and hundreds of thousands others have had serious side effects. The mainstream media will not mention a word of this—not one peep. Instead we get the ’safe and effective’ malarky over and over as well as government pushers urging us to take the free poison. Don’t do it. The Pfizer CEO certainly won’t. Bill Gates and his family won’t, either,” Garrison claimed.

Severe side effects to the covid-19 vaccines, such as death, are extremely rare and any American is more likely to die from covid-19 than vaccines. Garrison’s contention that the CEO of Pfizer won’t get vaccinated is simply untrue. Bill Gates has also been vaccinated against covid-19, despite conspiracy theorists claiming he won’t get the jab over fears about side effects.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:28 pm

What, no nebulized hydrogen peroxide? Amateur. :nono:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:50 pm

:hehe:

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 am

Ignore the professional lying pile of shit in the image--he is irrelevant. The blatantly misleading graphic is an example of a standard Fox News tactic, not limited to the professional shit pile's show.

A twitter thread or two about dishonest Fox News graphs.
I spent 15 minutes in Reporting class today showing terrible Fox graphics from years ago and I’d like to thank @TuckerCarlsonfor giving us new, updated terrible Fox graphics 1/
lol this bar graph makes it look like the number is 1/3 what it used to be but its not

[image same as above]

- Andrew Lawrence · Sep 28, 2021
- Bill Grueskin · Sep 28, 2021

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:40 am

From Dover Beach, by Matthew Arnold:

The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.

Deal with it, delusionists. Your time is fading.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:54 am

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:25 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:40 am
From Dover Beach, by Matthew Arnold:

The Sea of Faith
Was once, too, at the full, and round earth's shore
Lay like the folds of a bright girdle furled.
But now I only hear
Its melancholy, long, withdrawing roar,
Retreating, to the breath
Of the night-wind, down the vast edges drear
And naked shingles of the world.

Deal with it, delusionists. Your time is fading.
The damn tide is taking its sweet time. That was written about 170 years ago. :sulk: