rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Media Bias

Post by rainbow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:09 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:54 pm
It's a bit like Dutchy's attitude really.
Why the insult Sean? My beef is about inconsistent regulations that are politically motivated without proper scientific fact. We are not in the mess you lot are in or anywhere near it. So I object strongly to my name being associated with it. I have reported your post btw.
There is no such thing as 'proper scientific fact'. Science does its best with incomplete data. Those that put the regulations together have to know that new information may become available, and that they might need to revise their advice.
I wouldn't say that it is politically motivated, beyond that they are doing the best job within their competencies. Yes, they get it wrong. That is better than being pig-headed and sticking to regulations that no longer fit the best treatment strategies.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:45 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:20 am
My beef is about inconsistent regulations that are politically motivated without proper scientific fact.
You and my neighbors both. Jeesh, you can't even share an attitude with Americans? That's just nasty.
Why would I want to share something I dont agree with? When it comes to America there is very little I even would like from it. Absolutely nothing.
I see your attitude in the people around me. It's my observation. That you consider their attitude uniquely American doesn't appear to be based on anything more than your dislike of the U.S., however you've chosen to imagine what that means.

It's much easier for me to imagine something like behaviour and attitudes being a function most heavily reliant on what we as people have in common.

It's hardly worth arguing about, and I certainly meant no insult beyond a gentle ribbing. :cheers:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:23 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:54 am
Hermit wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:40 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
We are not in the mess you lot are in or anywhere near it.
What data do you support that assertion with?
I dont have to prove a negative do I.
A negative claim asserts the non-existence or exclusion of something. That is not what you have done, but I'll play along. The Netherlands are not in the mess the USA are in, or anywhere near it. According to you I don't need to support that assertion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:44 am

rainbow wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:09 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
Why the insult Sean? My beef is about inconsistent regulations that are politically motivated without proper scientific fact. We are not in the mess you lot are in or anywhere near it. So I object strongly to my name being associated with it. I have reported your post btw.
There is no such thing as 'proper scientific fact'. Science does its best with incomplete data. Those that put the regulations together have to know that new information may become available, and that they might need to revise their advice.
I wouldn't say that it is politically motivated, beyond that they are doing the best job within their competencies. Yes, they get it wrong. That is better than being pig-headed and sticking to regulations that no longer fit the best treatment strategies.
But that it is exactly what is happening. We have this 1,5m rule that been set in stone when it suits the politicians. KLM are in trouble so they get a massive grant (not loan) and they can use all the seats. The NS (Dutch railways) are in trouble due to the seat restrictions and wallah they can use all their seats again. Why not cinemas and theatres?
Cyclists can stand 6 deep at traffic lights with no protection but pedestrians in a shopping street have to keep 1,5m apart. Hairdressers here are only advised to wear masks but nobody does.
Inconsistency is what is bugging people. It has nothing to with science either.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:45 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I don't have to prove a negative do I. There many conflicting reports that experts say no conclusion can be made. The RIVM came out with another report yesterday into the size of droplets required to transmit the virus. Again more confusion. Again official data is put into doubt.
You're assertion, "We are not in the mess you lot are in", was not a negative, but a positive claim btw, one that says that 'our mess is far better than your mess'. And yet to say that the RIVM revising its information is inconsistent does imply that your mess is, you know, messy? You seem to be trying to have it both ways mate.

You also seem to imply that we are fully entitled to take all knowledge claims as absolute and immutable, and when it turns out that our knowledge is incomplete or only provisional, and therefore requires revision, then somehow we've all been let down, lied to and played for fools. That's exactly the narrative FOXNEWS was pushing with regards to the early re-opening of Texas and Florida - somebody, Democrats, were wrong and therefore the entire thing is bogus. It's an example of political bias in the media.

Perhaps we can talk about media bias in the Media Bias thread and leave the Covid-19 deep diving for the Coronavirus thread?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 am

You cant compare the two which is what you are doing. America is in a total mess we are not. This IS the right thread for these posts. We are talking about bias in media because of political motives and nothing to do with the virus. The law changes for those with a strong enough lobby. Is that not bias?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I dont have to prove a negative do I. There many conflicting reports that experts say no conclusion can be made. The RIVM came out with another report yesterday into the size of droplets required to transmit the virus. Again more confusion. Again official data is put into doubt.
:sulk: This is in the wrong thread :sulk:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I dont have to prove a negative do I. There many conflicting reports that experts say no conclusion can be made. The RIVM came out with another report yesterday into the size of droplets required to transmit the virus. Again more confusion. Again official data is put into doubt.
Not really confusion, more a scientific analysis which shows an even greater risk of transmission between people, particularly indoors...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:53 am

rainbow wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
:sulk: This is in the wrong thread :sulk:
Don't bother. Our member from Yellowknife is not in the mess Scot Dutchy is in or anywhere near it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:49 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sean Hayden wrote:
Reported it for what? :lol: Jesus.
Scurrilous indirect association with the Great Satan. Unforgivable! ;)

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:08 pm

I recall an absent member (not him, the one before) insisting repeatedly that Tucker Carlson is definitely not a racist. In one tirade on the topic he claimed that well-known white supremacist David Duke praising a 'scumbag' (not Tucker Carlson) reflected very poorly on the 'scumbag,' with the implication that the 'scumbag' is a racist.
President Trump! You have one last chance to turn the tables, win this election and save America -- and yourself ! Nominate Tucker Carlson for Vice President. This would energize your campaign beyond belief. You can replace Zio NeoCon warmonger Pompeo with Pence as Sec. of State!

-- David Duke 4:02 AM · Jul 9, 2020
There are already noises being made about Carlson running for president for the 2024 election. Oh joy.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44 pm

More of that draconian censoring of conservative views. ;ob;

'Instagram to block all content promoting LGBT "conversion therapy"'
Instagram said on Friday it would block content that promotes so-called conversion therapy, which aims to alter a person's sexual orientation or gender identity, as pressure to ban the practice grows.

The social media giant announced earlier this year it would no longer allow adverts for conversion therapy services, which can range from counselling and "praying away the gay" to electric shocks and sexual violence.

"We don't allow attacks against people based on sexual orientation or gender identity," Tara Hopkins, Instagram's public policy director for Europe, Middle East and Africa said in an emailed statement.

"(We) are updating our policies to ban the promotion of conversion therapy services."

A spokesman for Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, said it would take time to update all policies and content flagged by users may not be removed immediately.

The United Nations independent expert on sexual orientation and gender identity called last month for a global ban on conversion therapy, describing it as "cruel, inhumane and degrading".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 pm

The zeitgeist moves on, whether the dinosaurs rail against it or not...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm

Yes, and no.

Concerning the survivability of something like the social progress we've made so far, I think we tend to overestimate the significance of recent history. Worse, we consistently neglect to factor into our predictions the failure of social progress to even start, much less thrive in so much of the world.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:59 am

You are talking about your own country?