Media Bias

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Media Bias

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am

I'm so glad I don't live in America.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:21 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:32 am
Hermit wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am
Yes, I get that "news" vendors lie their arses off. The question was how do they keep getting away with their barefaced lies? Do their audiences really live in such a bubble that they never get exposed to actual information? Never even talk with people who do? Neighbours? Friends? Work mates? Teachers? Anybody?
For many of them, it is actually a sort of bubble. They listen to right wing talk radio and watch Fox News and/or OAN (One America News), and the rest is 'lamestream.' The 'lamestream media' are worse than completely untrustworthy, they lie ALL THE TIME to cover up the horrible things the Left is doing and to try to make it look like True Americans™ and Republicans are up to no good. It's a crying shame, I tell you. Jon Stewart described the phenomenon as "Bullshit Mountain." If you're on Bullshit Mountain you're clued in, and those who aren't with you are victims (often willing victims) of the leftist elite/media establishment.
OK. So, bubble it is. Seems rather wilful, but :shrug:
Trump's chances fade? I don't know about that. According to FiveThirtyEight's analysis of surveys across the USA Trump's approval rating has increased by 1.3 percentage points in the past eight days. At 41.4% as of the 5th of August it is higher than it averaged in the first year of his presidency.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:37 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:06 am
I'm so glad I don't live in America.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote: for the people around the Fox News/Rush Limbaugh addled, the response varies, of course. However, they've heard it all before, and know it's pointless to try to deprogram the believers, and will probably result in a rift if pursued.
--true, and I like the bullshit mountain image.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:05 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:36 pm

For all the yalping about 'censorship' of Trumpists by 'left wing tech elites', a look at what floats to the top of US Facebook content shows that somehow they've managed to do OK. This is a New York Times article, but they throw up a paywall after you've looked at a few of their pieces, so I found a reprint.

'What if Facebook Is the Real "Silent Majority"?'
Since the 2016 election, I’ve been obsessively tracking how partisan political content is performing on Facebook, the world’s largest and arguably most influential media platform. Every morning, one of the first browser tabs I open is CrowdTangle — a handy Facebook-owned data tool that offers a bird’s-eye view of what’s popular on the platform. I check which politicians and pundits are going viral. I geek out on trending topics. I browse the previous day’s stories to see which got the most reactions, shares and comments.

Most days, the leader board looks roughly the same: conservative post after conservative post, with the occasional liberal interloper. (If you want to see these lists for yourselves, you can check out @FacebooksTop10, a Twitter account I created that shows the top 10 most-interacted-with link posts by U.S. Facebook pages every day.)

It’s no secret that, despite Mr. Trump’s claims of Silicon Valley censorship, Facebook has been a boon to him and his allies, and hyperpartisan Facebook pages are nothing new. (In fact, my colleague John Herrman wrote about them four years ago this month.)

But what sticks out, when you dig in to the data, is just how dominant the Facebook right truly is. Pro-Trump political influencers have spent years building a well-oiled media machine that swarms around every major news story, creating a torrent of viral commentary that reliably drowns out both the mainstream media and the liberal opposition.
This has got to be FAKE NEWS because it's from the failing New York Times and anyway, everybody knows that Big Tech savagely represses conservative content.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:47 am

If you want to get around article limits like the NYT, either empty your browser cache or open the link in a private window.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:20 am

Yes, good pointers (though I prefer to just delete the cookies from the offending site). Nonetheless, I like to link to sites that don't run paywalls at all, if I can.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:49 am

:lol: Facebook refused to run a Priorities USA ad because it violates their policy against 'shocking, sensational, inflammatory, or excessively violent content.' It contains clips of Trump talking up his attacks on the ACA ('Obamacare') interspersed with clips of Biden saying 'c'mon, man!' I haven't found it on YouTube, but it's on Twitter. Must protect the delicate sensibilities of the easily offended, after all.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:19 pm

Wow, that's "shocking, sensational, inflammatory, or excessively violent content?"
C'mon, man! :fp:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 pm

'Both sides, man.' Might as well acknowledge actual positive work that they've done, though.

'Facebook Nabs Russia-linked Campaign To Fuel US Chaos'
Facebook on Tuesday said that it has caught a budding Russia-linked campaign to fuel political chaos in the US, working off a tip from the FBI in its latest take-down of coordinated inauthentic behavior at the leading social network.

The small network of 13 Facebook accounts and two pages posing as journalists and targeting left-wing progressives was removed for violating a policy against "foreign interference" at the platform.

The investigation that uncovered the covert operation, which was linked to the Internet Research Agency in Russian (IRA), started with a tip from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, according to Facebook head of security policy Nathaniel Gleicher.

The network was in the early stages of building an audience, with little engagement from users, Facebook said.

"They put substantial effort into creating elaborate fictitious personas, trying to make fake accounts look as real as possible," Gleicher said while briefing reporters.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Yeah, the struggle is real. I just wonder how many they are missing.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:31 pm

With Fox going strong it's a bit of swallowing the camel while straining out a gnat, isn't it?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:09 pm

:lol: I'd not heard that particular colloquialism before.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT