Media Bias

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Media Bias

Post by Cunt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:27 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:15 pm
I never liked Trump. I couldn't watch his show. What's to like?
If all the corporate media teams up to smear someone, it's worth wondering why.

Recently, Bezos (WaPo) hunted down a shitposter (libsofticktok), doxxed her, and even bragged about exposing her.

They still haven't identified the customers of those sex traffickers though. Almost enough to make one distrust them.

Distrust might not be strong enough. What is the opposite of trust? Suspicion doesn't seem strong enough...
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:36 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:50 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:04 pm
I'm not watching that interview.

--//--

What do you guys make of talking heads going on about our silence regarding other conflicts since Ukraine?

Are they lying, desperate for a hook, dumb as a box of rocks, all of the above? :dunno:
Probably all of the above, since it's the bloviating class. :biggrin:

I've seen several pundits going on about how the trouble in Palestine is ignored, but every day there's a story in my morning newspaper. So I take these guys with a grain of salt.

If a reporter gets the facts wrong, there's generally a retraction or correction to follow. If they make stuff up, they tend to get fired or demoted. Pundits generally get away with a lot more.

This is one topic I wouldn't mind hearing from Seth about, preferably in a different forum, since he's worn both hats.
Last edited by Joe on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:58 pm

OK, here is a bit more on the 'libsoftiktok' kerfuffle. By Greenwald.
WashPost's Doxing of @LibsOfTikTok Reveals Who Corporate Journalists See as Their Targets.
I'm not going to bother with his rumble video, but this simple statement is pretty damning of Bezos and his rag.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:54 pm

Cunt wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:45 pm
Geez, Hermit must have missed this. Or he looked up the facts, and was embarrassed.
Hermit wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:24 am
Thanks for the opportunity comment on the kid again.
Look, Hermit - another chance to say how EXACTLY I'm wrong, and spout more bile about a kid who was attacked by (among others) a rioting convicted child-rapist.

I noticed you missed it. Must have been while accusing me of trolling.

You can ignore my questions though. I know what kinds of 'facts' get checked by you, and they certainly AREN'T the kind YOU got wrong.
Just including that quote above in case Hermit missed it again.

The least trustworthy media outlets are pretty much in concert about the invasion of Ukraine. I sure hope the billions being sent there aren't going to the wrong people. That probably can't happen with foreign aid though. Zelensky, as a comedian funded by an eastern european oligarch, seems as trustworthy as Biden.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:14 am

Cunt wrote:
Geez, Hermit must have missed this. Or he looked up the facts, and was embarrassed.
Hermit wrote:
Look, Hermit - another chance to say how EXACTLY I'm wrong, and spout more bile about a kid who was attacked by (among others) a rioting convicted child-rapist.

You can ignore my questions though. I know what kinds of 'facts' get checked by you, and they certainly AREN'T the kind YOU got wrong.
Would you look at that. Totally ignores Hermit's post and goes straight to attacking Hermit. THIS is why you are a troll.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:17 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:27 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:

Recently, Bezos (WaPo) hunted down a shitposter (libsofticktok), doxxed her, and even bragged about exposing her.
Bezos bragged about exposing her? Bezos hunted her down? Um, bullshit.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:51 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:17 am
Cunt wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:27 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:

Bezos bragged about exposing her? Bezos hunted her down? Um, bullshit.
Who owns the Washington Post?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:53 am

Yes I know Bezos owns it. But he didn't do those things. Claiming that he did makes you look silly.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:24 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:14 am
Cunt wrote:
Hermit wrote:

Would you look at that. Totally ignores Hermit's post and goes straight to attacking Hermit. THIS is why you are a troll.
Not to worry. I did not miss the demand by our member from Yellowknife because I proved him wrong as early as almost a year ago.
Hermit wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:14 am
Found some footage (age-restricted) of what happened. It is a pity you won't watch videos that threaten to disagree with your sentiments.

At 1:51 Rosenbaum can be seen running after Rittenenhouse. At 1:53 Rosenbaum can be seen hurling a plastic bag toward Rittenhouse. It falls short. At 1:58 the video recorder loses sight of Rittenhouse and Rosenbaum among some cars parked along the road. Between 2:00 and 2:04 five shots can be heard. Between 2:06 and 2:07 there are another three shots. The act of a hero protecting private property? Eight shots at close range over a period of seven seconds to disable a man who was dangerous despite being unarmed?
He replied:
Cunt wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:38 am
...you skimmed over the part where someone was trying to burn a gas station down.
I went on to say:
Hermit wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:44 am
Rosenbaum was shot in the back, the right groin, left hand, and left thigh. His lung and liver were perforated, and his pelvis fractured. He also sustained a graze gunshot wound on his right forehead. It is murder.
To which the reply was another evasion:
Cunt wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:26 am
it was a protest, according to you. I'll have to pay attention to your definition of murder the same way.
Going by those posts, the argument in defence of someone who shot eight bullets at someone at point blank range is that it happened while someone else tried to set fire to a gas station during a protest at the same time. You can't have a discussion about the murderer with people who think that is a valid argument. That's why I don't bother with Daggles' demand to prove him wrong. He'll just reply with another irrelevance.

The video I linked to is no longer available, but you can see the same footage here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:41 am

I remember a fellow basically chortling with glee when a whistleblower who reported malfeasance by the former president was 'doxxed' by right wing types. That was good, but outing a prolific shitposter who calls themself a 'wire service' for [the conservative disinformation echo chamber] is apparently not so good. Whatever. :smoke:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:13 am

The leftist US mainstream media, or something.

'Primetime Inflation Coverage Blames Workers, Hides Profits'
Of the 310 segments that covered inflation, eight identified profiteering as a causal factor, while 50 put the focus on workers, either in the form of labor shortage or supply-side social spending arguments (the latter being a proxy for the former). While labor market trends have had an inflationary impact, the disproportionate focus on them, without mention of the underlying conditions that lead to labor shortages in the first place, erases the culpability of corporations. And as economist Dean Baker (Beat the Press, 11/10/21) explained, it would be a "perverse" solution to inflation to put "downward pressure on wages" by increasing unemployment, when companies are already incentivized to "innovate to get around bottlenecks…in ways that could lead to lasting productivity gains."

An NBC Nightly News investigation by Jacob Ward (1/22/22) was one of the only segments that focused on the inflationary impact of market consolidation. Tyson, Cargill, JBS, and National Beef, Ward reported, "control roughly 85% of all beef production in America, and saw their profits tripled during the pandemic." Other references to the meat trusts were limited to Joe Biden's plan to apply pressure to meatpackers and Tyson's decision to raise prices due to "escalating costs" (NBC Nightly News, 12/10/21, 11/15/21). This angle was absent when it came to other powerful industries, however.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 am

Friends of Disney. Just sayin' :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:35 pm

Five years ago, Facebook gave its users five new ways to react to a post in their news feed beyond the iconic “like” thumbs-up: “love,” “haha,” “wow,” “sad” and “angry.”

Behind the scenes, Facebook programmed the algorithm that decides what people see in their news feeds to use the reaction emoji as signals to push more emotional and provocative content — including content likely to make them angry. Starting in 2017, Facebook’s ranking algorithm treated emoji reactions as five times more valuable than “likes,” internal documents reveal. The theory was simple: Posts that prompted lots of reaction emoji tended to keep users more engaged, and keeping users engaged was the key to Facebook’s business.

Facebook’s own researchers were quick to suspect a critical flaw. Favoring “controversial” posts — including those that make users angry — could open “the door to more spam/abuse/clickbait inadvertently,” a staffer, whose name was redacted, wrote in one of the internal documents. A colleague responded, “It’s possible.”

The warning proved prescient. The company’s data scientists confirmed in 2019 that posts that sparked angry reaction emoji were disproportionately likely to include misinformation, toxicity and low-quality news.

That means Facebook for three years systematically amped up some of the worst of its platform, making it more prominent in users’ feeds and spreading it to a much wider audience. The power of the algorithmic promotion undermined the efforts of Facebook’s content moderators and integrity teams, who were fighting an uphill battle against toxic and harmful content.

The internal debate over the “angry” emoji and the findings about its effects shed light on the highly subjective human judgments that underlie Facebook’s news feed algorithm — the byzantine machine-learning software that decides for billions of people what kinds of posts they’ll see each time they open the app. The deliberations were revealed in disclosures made to the Securities and Exchange Commission and provided to Congress in redacted form by the legal counsel of whistleblower Frances Haugen. The redacted versions were reviewed by a consortium of news organizations, including The Washington Post.

(Washington Post)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Amazon attack Meta. Pictures at eleven. :tea:

Validating people's frustrations, anger, and hatred primes them for the next advert.

Frank Zappa