Media Bias

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Media Bias

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:54 am

Seabass wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:54 am
[Video clips of Fox News infotainment personalities decrying 'politics in football' during anti-racism kneeling during the US national anthem by NFL players then giddily approving of 'Fuck Biden' chants at college football stadiums.]
They dropped 'fair and balanced' years ago. Now they simply claim to be 'most watched, most trusted.' They know their audience--integrity and veracity are not important to that audience.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 am

But in most western countries back then, being a christian of some sort was the expected default, and those tiny few who were not were regarded as weird and possibly dangerous eccentrics. I think Matthew Arnold had spotted the beginning of the ebb tide...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:36 am

There had been a few ebbs and floods by that time. Before the rise of Wesley in the UK, there had been somewhat of a falling away from the church, to the extent that he and his compatriots were known as the 'Holy Club' at university because they placed such importance on Christian faith. That's a good century before Arnold wrote his poem. But your central point is well taken.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:16 am

Watch out, Alex Jones, a younger dope is rising up.

'Joe Rogan pushes conspiracy theory that Joe Biden got fake Covid booster'
Joe Rogan’s latest conspiracy theory is that another Joe –Biden if you’ve heard of him – didn’t actually get his third dose of the coronavirus vaccine live on TV.

Biden was filmed answering questions from reporters about the pandemic at a live press conference earlier this week, while he casually got his booster shot, but Rogan said he didn’t buy it.

Speaking on his podcast, the Joe Rogan Experience, he speculated: “I think if they were going to give him a booster shot, the last thing they would do is give it to him live on television.

“What if he dies? What if he blacks out? What if he like gets it and faints? Like, because people have had very bad reactions like in the moment for whatever reason.”
Yes, a small percentage of people have an allergic reaction. However, given that Biden had had two of the same Pfizer jab already with no problems, it is vanishingly unlikely that he'd have any allergic reaction to the third. Then again if you're wilfully ignorant of a topic, it's easy to blither abject nonsense about it.

On the other hand, maybe Biden hasn't been vaccinated at all. Or maybe it wasn't Biden, but a very convincing body double. Yeah, that's it--in reality Biden is drooling in a quiet room in the White House basement, and Kamala Harris has been in charge all along, wearing a full Biden suit with a sophisticated voice changer. Notice that you don't hear much about what she's been up to!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:44 am

Would it be conspiracy theory to say that joe rogan got fake brains?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:10 am

The article gives too much weight to the failures of left-biased media, I think. While acknowledging instances of bias, it ignores decades of steady vilification.

'Katie Couric’s RBG Coverup Shows How We Ended Up With Trump'
The mainstream media’s credibility took another big hit this week. Katie Couric, the former co-host of NBC’s Today show, revealed in a new memoir that she chose not to air some controversial comments made to her five years ago by the sainted Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, involving RBG’s criticism of NFL players like Colin Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem.

Couric says she was “conflicted” because she was a “big RBG fan,” so she only aired some of the harsh words RBG had for the football players refusing to stand for the national anthem. According to her story, after talking with New York Times columnist David Brooks, Couric concluded that Ginsburg—who was on the Supreme Court at the time—was “elderly and probably didn’t fully understand the question.” Couric confesses in her book that she “‘wanted to protect’ Ginsburg and felt that the issue of racial justice was a ‘blind spot’ for her.”

Couric’s revelation comes on the heels of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) being forced to apologize for altering a famous RBG quote. During her 1993 confirmation hearings, Ginsburg said, “The decision whether or not to bear a child is central to a woman’s life, to her well-being and dignity.” In keeping with today’s gender-neutral nomenclature, the group changed “woman” to a bracketed “[person’s]” and swapped the word “her” with a bracketed “[their].”

These back-to-back incidents reveal the degree to which progressives have a vested interest in preserving and protecting RBG’s image, even as what constitutes being politically correct continues to evolve. In the service of some higher cause, they reimagined their hero’s actual words to comport with what, in their minds, she really represents. In other words, to “print the legend.” The inconvenient truth, though, is that RBG had more nuanced beliefs than her fans, many of them probably sipping coffee from RBG coffee mugs as they read this, might realize—including her thoughts on Roe v. Wade.

[Adds further instances of biased presentation.]

Collectively, these incidents have eroded trust in the media as an institution, persuaded millions of Americans to tune out mainstream media elites and outlets (and tune into alternative outlets), and empowered bad political actors who want to exploit this lack of trust for political gain.

Bias isn’t just what you cover, it’s also what you decide not to cover. By employing the sin of omission, the media protects its progressive heroes and, in the process, picks political winners and losers. Instead of telling us the facts, they print the legend. Is it any surprise that we don't believe them anymore?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:35 am

From the same people who redact the N-word for pretty much the same reason.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:15 pm

My daily newspaper is a GOP rag. It seldom published the stupid things Trump said or tweeted while he was in office.

It made an amazing difference in how its readers viewed the guy.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:43 am

Geez, the damn PC/woke/cancel culture crowd can't take it when a fine upstanding comedian wearing a pistol in a shoulder holster pokes 'fun' at a reporter who's oppressing a burger joint.

'Right-Wing YouTuber Steven Crowder Slammed for ‘Disgusting’ Attack on Asian Newscaster'
A conservative YouTube provocateur known for his wildly offensive content has come under fire for spewing racist vitriol while attacking a local news reporter.

Steven Crowder was suspended from YouTube earlier this month for hate speech, after repeatedly pushing a fake story on his channel about a transgender woman who allegedly raped and impregnated an inmate at a women’s prison. A California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokesperson ultimately threw cold water on the false story. Just months before, Crowder and his YouTube co-hosts went on a spiel mocking Black farmers and American slavery.

Now, shortly after his YouTube hiatus ended, Crowder has received a wave of backlash for verbally ambushing a local Bay Area reporter with a slew of racist comments. While watching the journalist’s news segment on his “Louder With Crowder” show, Crowder commented that she had an “aggressively Asian face.”

On Tuesday, Betty Yu of KPIX San Francisco, a CBS affiliate, broadcast a segment about the city’s only In-N-Out Burger closing its indoor dining area because it would not comply with the city’s orders to check customers’ vaccination statuses.

In a video post reviewing Yu’s news segment, Crowder applauded In-N-Out Burger for its stance, then fired off a barrage of racist assaults.

When Yu appeared on screen, Crowder interjected, “Oh! That’s an aggressively Asian face.”

A co-host can be heard laughing and implies that Yu resembles actress Lucy Liu, saying, “Where’s Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz?”

“Usually with reporters, they’re kind of Americanized Asians. It’s a good thing. It’s a good thing. It’s full Asian,” Crowder said before the co-host attempted to make a geisha joke.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 pm

'Comedy', they say. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 pm

Yeah, the ski slope reference was a real howl. :nono:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:38 pm

He's a weird dude. He wears a holster like a man purse. :dunno:

The only thing I can come up with is he's lashing out at claims that Asians can't get jobs unless they look more white i.e. making fun of stereotyped expectations for white audiences... But he's gotta know it just comes across as racist.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:57 am

I guess he knows his audience. :sigh:

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 am

Yeah, there's no good excuse. We need a better class of influences.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:56 am

It doesn't matter what 'research' shows. Everybody knows that the leftist Big Tech is suppressing conservative voices. :teef:

'Despite Politicians and Pundits' Claims, Twitter Finds Algorithm Favors Right-Wing Voices'
Contrary to claims by former U.S. President Donald Trump and other right-wing politicians and pundits that Twitter favors posts by liberals, new internal research shared Thursday by the social media titan showed that conservative tweets received greater algorithmic amplification on the platform.

Kate Starbird, a professor of human-centered design and engineering at the University of Washington, said Friday that "in contrast to the political talking points we often hear at the congressional hearings, Twitter researchers find that their algorithms amplify right-wing influencers and right-leaning [news] sites at much higher rates than content [and] influencers on the left."

Paris Marx, host of the "Tech Won't Save Us" podcast, bluntly remarked that "social media is full of executives who are dumb enough to fall for bullshit claims of anti-conservative bias or are in on it."

Algorithmic amplification refers to the computerized boosting of certain content at the expense of other viewpoints. In an effort to determine how much of an algorithmic boost political content from elected officials receives, and whether such amplification varies among and within political parties, researchers compared the Twitter "home" timelines of users in seven countries—Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, the U.K., and the U.S.—in a review of millions of tweets posted by their elected officials.

"Content on Twitter's home timeline is selected and ordered by personalization algorithms," the paper states. "By consistently ranking certain content higher, these algorithms may amplify some messages while reducing the visibility of others."