BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:26 am

The option of the 51st state seems to have disappeared... When is the UK going to reapply for EU membership? After Johnson's demise in the next few months?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:13 am

Apparently Boris has been calling Joe for a week to talk about Afghanistan but Joe's mum said he was out playing.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:35 am

:lol:

Playing with his new friends?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Boris Johnson’s biggest lie about Europe is finally coming home to roost
Simon Jenkins wrote:From plummeting trade to drastic shortages of workers, needlessly leaving the single market has been disastrous

It was the big Brexit lie. No, not the £350m a week to spend on the NHS or the “bonfire” of red tape. The lie was that the shambles now enveloping British trade with Europe was an unavoidable price worth paying to leave the EU. That was rubbish.

In order to further his chances of becoming Tory leader Boris Johnson made two commitments. One was to resign from the EU, the other was to depart Europe’s customs union and single market, aspects of which embrace other non-EU states such as Norway. The second decision was an almost casual gesture to make him look macho to the party’s hardline Brexiters. It was not put to referendum and was beyond stupid.

No news item today is free of the consequences. Earlier this year, the effects of leaving the single market could be seen in plummeting trade with the continent, even accounting for the pandemic. Additional red tape is awesome. HMRC estimates traders will be handling 215m more import/export documents a year, at an estimated bureaucratic cost of £7.5bn a year. Tariffs may not apply but rules of origin and health standards do. Every truck, every cargo requires inspection.

As for migration, the overall shortage of seasonal farm labour, according to BBC Radio 4’s Farming Today, is 20% and often more. Fruit will rot in fields, pigs cannot get to abattoirs and Christmas turkeys will be a “nightmare”. Meanwhile, care homes in England are short of 170,000 staff, and delivery firms short of 100,000 drivers. Hotels have abandoned rooms and restaurant tables. Creative industries – worth £110bn to the UK economy – were forgotten by the Brexit negotiators and are now virtually isolated from Europe.
Dont forget Chumocracy...

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:01 pm

Brexit: EU warns no renegotiation possible as UK delays border checks again
Britain announced on Monday that it is once again postponing the implementation of border checks on goods travelling to Northern Ireland.

Brexit Minister David Frost said the government would continue to trade “on the current basis,” maintaining grace periods that the UK gave itself after splitting from the EU’s economic embrace at the end of 2020. He did not set a new end date for the grace periods.

Frost said the standstill would “provide space for potential further discussions” with the EU over the two sides’ deep differences on the Brexit divorce agreement.

London and Brussels have been at loggerheads over the Northern Ireland Protocol since the UK's divorce from the bloc came into force on January 1, 2021. The British province remains within the EU's customs unions, meaning that checks must be carried out on certain goods travelling between Northern Ireland and the rest of the United Kingdom.

British authorities — including Prime Minister Boris, who renegotiated the Withdrawal Agreement after taking over from Theresa May in Downing Street — now lambasts the arrangement as absurd as it effectively creates a border in the Irish Sea. They have asked for a "total overhaul" of the agreement.

We will not agree to a renegotiation'

The EU, which operates zero tariffs between member states, argues the checks are necessary to safeguard its single market, remains steadfast that no physical border be erected between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland over concerns that it could lead to a flare-up in sectarian violence.

But it has granted a "grace period" over the implementation of the protocol and agreed to extensions. A grace period on the exports of chilled meats between Great Britain and Northern Ireland is to expire on September 30.

London has in the past said it wanted the current arrangements to last until 2021 which Brussels has refused, even launching legal proceedings against the UK over the protocol before halting them in July in order to "find durable solutions".

The European Commission said on Monday evening that they "take note" of the latest UK statement, flagging that "we will not agree to a renegotiation of the Protocol."

"We continue to stress that the Withdrawal Agreement is an international agreement. The Protocol is an integral part of the Withdrawal Agreement and the agreed solution between the UK and the EU to the problems caused by Brexit for the island of Ireland. Both sides are legally bound to fulfil their obligations under the Agreement," the statement from the Commission added.

Brussels also said that it "reserves its rights in respect to infringement proceedings" but that it is not, "at present", moving forward with the next stage of the proceedings it halted in July or opening any new infringements.

Ireland's Deputy Prime Minister Leo Varadkar said he expected the EU would agree to an extension of the grace periods in order to allow for “deep and meaningful” talks with Britain.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Brexit pre-settled status: EU nationals in UK face losing out on jobs and housing
Some people cannot prove they are in the country legally because of glitch in digital residency permits

EU nationals living in the UK who apply to change their status risk being rejected by landlords, employers and mortgage lenders because of an anomaly on the digital residency permits issued by the government.

Before they can access public or financial services, EU nationals have to prove that they have been granted either settled or pre-settled status by the Home Office.

Pre-settled status, which has been granted to nearly 2.3 million people who were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020, can be upgraded to settled status after someone has lived continuously in the country for five years.
Brilliant!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:23 pm

That's a handy 'glitch' eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 pm

Well it causes even more confusion which the tories love.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:02 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:23 pm
That's a handy 'glitch' eh?
...sort of like state housing only being available to those who can prove they have a fixed abode.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:27 pm

Reminds you of something?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:50 pm

That chlorinated chicken is getting closer:

Rules on GM farming and cars to be top of UK bonfire of EU laws
Minister reveals plans to change laws inherited from EU, with rules on medical devices also in crosshairs

Rules on genetically modified farming, medical devices and vehicle standards will be top of a bonfire of laws inherited from the EU as the government seeks to change legislation automatically transferred to the UK after Brexit.

Thousands of laws and regulations are to be reviewed, modified or repealed under a new programme aimed at cementing the UK’s independence and “Brexit opportunities”, David Frost has announced.

Measures include permitting the voluntary printing of the crown stamp on pint glasses and reviewing the EU ban on markings and sales in pounds and ounces – with legislation “in due course”.

The Brexit minister told peers the government had a “mammoth task” ahead to improve or remove laws inherited through 50 years of the “legislative sausage machine” in Brussels.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:41 pm

But the passports are going to be blue again. Huzzah!

Frank Zappa

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:54 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:41 pm
But the passports are going to be blue again. Huzzah!
And made in Poland.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:32 am

Grr. :lay:

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 am

Back to the future?