"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by rainbow » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:49 am

Alan B wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
John Bercow for PM! :prof:
I mentioned to an English colleague that Bercow would be available to referee the rugby on Saturday, and he nearly choked on his sausage roll.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

A no-deal Brexit could be catastrophic for research. A timely reminder of what’s at stake came on 28 March, when UK-based scientists once again won the largest share of the prestigious European Research Council advanced grants, claiming more than 21% of the awards and €112 million (US$126 million) in total. A no-deal exit would instantly sever the United Kingdom from the scheme. Everyday research would take a hit as supplies, clinical trials, data collection and travel suffer disruption.

Under almost any form of Brexit, science will be weakened or the United Kingdom’s influence diminished. UK access to EU research funding schemes is far from guaranteed, and additional barriers to immigration seem inevitable. The agonizing, prolonged uncertainty and the hostile atmosphere some overseas researchers say they face is already affecting recruitment and damaging collaborations. Ultimately, the youngest researchers will suffer most from reduced opportunities.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01060-6

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

The Brexiteers Sean could not care a damn. It's their money they worry about.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:50 am

The rich tax dodging again.

London ballroom hosts showcase event for 'golden passports'
Three PMs attend marketing sales event on how wealthy can snap up citizenship from $100,000

Three prime ministers took to a stage in the ballroom of a five-star London hotel this week offering the world’s wealthiest people “golden passports” and citizenship of their countries in return for hundreds of thousands of pounds of investment or flat “contributions”.

Allen Chastanet, the prime minister of the Caribbean island of St Lucia, told about 300 members of the super-rich elite and their advisers gathered at the Rosewood hotel for “global citizenship conference” that his country’s economic mission was “going after high net-worth individuals and giving them a comfortable place to live”.

He promised that in return for a $100,000 (£78,000) “contribution to the national economic fund” applicants would be granted St Lucian citizenship within three months. With it comes a so-called “golden passport” giving visa-free travel to 145 countries, including the UK, the European Union’s Schengen Area, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Also selling citizenships at the conference were the prime ministers of Albania and Montenegro, a Maltese minister, an ambassador from Antigua and Barbuda, and representatives from Cyprus.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:44 am

Russia report suppressed because Downing Street is concerned it raises questions over validity of referendum result

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/polit ... 3b2YcPOOeM

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:24 pm

Tom Watson, soon to be redunant deputy of the UK Labour party, has been calling for an independent enquiry into the possible malign influences on the UK electoral systems since the Cambridge Analytica thing broke. The government delayed the release of this report until the general election had been called - when parliamentary and governemnt business goes into purdah and at which point ministers are forbidden from issuing reports or initiating policies.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:35 pm

We can go back to this thread now the elections are over.

Madness has reared it head again. A rush of blood has entered the empty mind of Johnson:

Boris Johnson's Brexit extension block 'will limit UK options'
Brussels prepares to restrict scope of talks in light of British PM’s ‘strange’ move

Boris Johnson’s plan to make it illegal for the government to extend the Brexit transition period beyond 11 months has been described as “strange” by Ireland’s deputy prime minister, as Brussels prepared to limit the scope of the coming negotiations.

Simon Coveney said it amounted to the “UK deciding to tie itself in terms of options” while the director general for trade in the European commission, Sabine Weyand, said the ambition of any deal would need to be pared back.

When the UK leaves the EU on 31 January, difficult and complex negotiations over the future relationship will begin. The country will remain in the single market and customs union until 31 December 2020 with an extension of the arrangement permitted for up to two years if it is both found necessary and agreed before 1 July.

The government has said, however, it will legislate to prevent such an extension.
The hardest cookie in the EU negotiating team had her say:
Weyand, who is now the lead official in the commission’s trade department, said areas such as trade in goods and access to UK waters for European fishing fleets would be prioritised as with other areas of law where there was no international fallback position.

“I think, given all the signals we are getting, and now these signals are translated into law, that we are well advised to take seriously that the UK doesn’t intend to go for an extension of the transition, and we need to be prepared for that,” she said. “And that means in the negotiations we have to look at those issues where failure to reach an agreement by end 2020 would lead to a cliff-edge situation.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Aye. The Tories have shown absolutely no sign of even pretending to have a serious stab and negotiating a proper trade deal. All they've got to do now is sit on their hands for a year to get their no-deal Brexit while blaming the EU for being intransigent.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Johnson wants a big trade deal with his pal. The 51st state is around the corner.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Fuck! I'll have to larn to speak an' spell Merikan...
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Remember to buy a gun. You will need it. :lol:

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:10 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Aye. The Tories have shown absolutely no sign of even pretending to have a serious stab and negotiating a proper trade deal. All they've got to do now is sit on their hands for a year to get their no-deal Brexit while blaming the EU for being intransigent.
Wrong.
When Boris was asked during the election whether he would allow the UK to crash out without a deal, he replied: "We have a deal".

...so the pretence is there.

Yet the interviewer (I think is was Sky) didn't follow up with:
"That was May's deal with the added cherry of throwing the DUP under the bus, a deal that you personally voted against"

:smug:
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 am

DUP can be thrown under the bus now with the Tories majority.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:22 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 am
DUP can be thrown under the bus now with the Tories majority.
A given. Just like what they did to the LibDems.
BArF−4