BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 am

UK shellfish farmers threaten legal action over ban on exports to EU
Industry claims it was misled by Defra over post-Brexit position and will sue unless trade with union restarts soon

The environment secretary, George Eustice, is facing a threat of legal action from shellfish farmers over claims that the government has misled the industry over its post-Brexit arrangements with the EU.

A solicitor representing 20 shellfish firms told the Guardian the government had shown “negligence and maladministration” and that a group action was being considered for compensation.

Separately, an exporter of mussels sent a legal letter to the secretary of state saying the firm would sue for damages if the shellfish market with the EU were not opened up by September.

The move comes as the UK finally hands a roadmap to Brussels on Northern Ireland following the launch of legal action by the EU over an alleged breach of the withdrawal treaty.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am

Sean Hayden wrote:It's popular here as well. Unfortunately I was raised wrong so I don't like wine, and I've tried many times to enjoy it.
:whisper: We don't drink it for the taste.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:32 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:UK shellfish farmers threaten legal action over ban on exports to EU
Industry claims it was misled by Defra over post-Brexit position and will sue unless trade with union restarts soon

The environment secretary, George Eustice, is facing a threat of legal action from shellfish farmers over claims that the government has misled the industry over its post-Brexit arrangements with the EU.

A solicitor representing 20 shellfish firms told the Guardian the government had shown “negligence and maladministration” and that a group action was being considered for compensation.

Separately, an exporter of mussels sent a legal letter to the secretary of state saying the firm would sue for damages if the shellfish market with the EU were not opened up by September.

The move comes as the UK finally hands a roadmap to Brussels on Northern Ireland following the launch of legal action by the EU over an alleged breach of the withdrawal treaty.
That's not going to work. The Tories will just make a new law and then say, "Look. It's totally legal to mislead people if it's for the right reasons."
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:06 pm

They have dont that already by creating their Chumocracy which is something the Americans are copying.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:59 pm

Scot, Australian wine varies considerably, as does our beer. In both, you have fairly crappy, cheap, mass market products, such as Fosters, and most of the large volume of cask wines. These were what you were thinking of, I suspect.

Both, however, have smaller volumes of very high end products. There is a plethora of small craft breweries around that produce a wide variety of excellent beers. We also have literally hundreds of small, family-run wineries all around Australia, many with vines that have been planted for over 100 years. They produce low volumes of excellent wine from many different varietals. The Pyrenees wine region in Victoria (which we are visiting next week) is one such example:

https://pyrenees.org.au

Our Victorian Pyrenees range is a lot smaller than the European one, of course... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:06 pm
They have [done] that already by creating their Chumocracy which is something the Americans are copying.
I think the Tories are taking their lessons from the Republicans, not the other way round.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 am

I think it a two way flow. Johnson has already achieved more than Trump. There is no opposition in the UK and Chumocracy rules.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:53 am

In the tradition of the Downfall memes...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:39 am

Love it. :lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:42 am

Big lolz here. :D

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:48 am

"Now they have to go back to that shithole and drink beer in the rain" :lol:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue May 11, 2021 6:50 am

Post-Brexit trade deals mean firms will miss out on freeport benefits
Government admits agreements with 23 countries include clauses prohibiting use of tax breaks

Companies operating in freeports being launched under Boris Johnson’s post-Brexit levelling up agenda will not get the full benefits of the new tax efficient zones if they export to some countries, the government has admitted.

Officials said post-Brexit trade deals with 23 nations – including Canada, Norway and Switzerland – included clauses that prohibit manufacturers in freeport-type zones from utilising the tax breaks they enable.

Regarded as central to the government’s plan to rebalance Britain’s lopsided regional economy, freeports are areas designated to receive incentives relating to customs, tax, planning, regeneration and infrastructure, aiming to boost global trade and the local economy around them.

However, the government admitted businesses operating in freeports will need to pay tariffs when exporting finished products to any of the 23 countries where the UK has a post-Brexit trade deal, unlike companies operating elsewhere.

This is because the trade deals, negotiated as Britain prepared to leave the EU at the start of this year, include prohibition clauses preventing exporters who had benefited from duty exemption also benefiting from the preferential tariff rates set out in the trade agreements.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 am

The UK fishermen were really conned by Johnson:

End of the line? How Brexit left Hull’s fishing industry facing extinction

Claire Armitstead wrote:The UK’s departure from the EU was supposed to reinvigorate our fishing industry. Instead, it has forced the country’s last distant-water trawler to sit idle

At 4am on 24 April 2019, 25 brass players, two percussionists and a conductor piled into a coach in Hull for a 200-mile drive to London. It was a Wednesday morning and it had been touch and go whether all of them would be able to get time off from their day jobs to make the trip. Seven hours later, they stood on the quayside at Greenwich, as Princess Anne swung a bottle of champagne at the looming yellow hull of the UK’s newest and biggest whitefish trawler.

Many of the people gathered that day had voted for Brexit in the EU referendum and hopes were high that it would usher in a new era for a British industry that had been dwindling for years. The Kirkella was the larger of two new boats built by the private company UK Fisheries in 2018, at a combined cost of nearly £59m, landing fish at Hull for the first time in a decade. The Princess Royal summed up the optimistic mood on the quayside when she offered her congratulations “to the owner for their investment in the future of fishing”. As the bottle smashed against the boat, the players launched into a lung-busting rendition of Hearts of Oak. Before they had even finished playing, recalls Tony Newiss, cornet player and chairman of the City of Hull Band, the heavens opened and everyone got drenched.

Two years on, the scene could serve as a portent of troubles that were to come. Snarled up in negotiations over fishing rights, which now have to be negotiated with each of the countries in whose waters it works, the UK’s last distant-water trawler sits idle, unable to work in its normal patch off the coasts of Norway, Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The vessel has not only been blindsided by the repercussions of Brexit, but is caught up in a longer tale of decline that goes back to the cod wars of the 20th century and a wider one of the unfolding climate crisis. Those with long memories can recall a time when there was enough cod and haddock for everyone in the seas around the UK, but warming waters have driven them north into the deeper, colder waters of the Nordic states. As a result of these changes in fish stocks, and the territorial squabbles that result, today’s fishing industry only represents 0.12% of the UK’s economy.

In common with most of the Humberside population, McGlone voted for Brexit in the referendum. “I voted on the information I was given and within three days I just knew I’d voted the wrong way,” he says. The Kirkella is currently sitting out its furlough in dry dock in Norway – for maintenance, say its owners, though rumours are rife that it is being sized up for sale. “How long can they afford to keep it idle?” asks Karl Turner. “This is not about Leave versus Remain or left versus right - it is about what is right and what is wrong. They have been let down by this government.” A processing colleague of Chris Sparkes puts it in more salty terms: “It’s the result of pure and utter incompetence,” he rages. “In 2019, Boris Johnson came to Humberside and was greeted incredibly warmly. He wouldn’t want to go to a fish market today. It’s an outrage.”

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:49 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a moratorium on all off shore fishing needs to be implemented on a global scale asap.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:20 am

British nationals in France face losing rights if they miss residency deadline
Call to extend 30 June deadline over fears Britons will lose access to healthcare and pensions

Campaigners have warned that tens of thousands of British nationals living in France and three other countries risk losing local healthcare, employment and other rights if they do not apply to remain resident in the next 14 days.

British in Europe, a group set up to protect the post-Brexit rights of about 1.2 million UK nationals living on the continent, have called on France, Latvia, Luxembourg and Malta to extend their 30 June deadline as the Netherlands has done, to 30 October.

“We think the deadline should be extended even at this latest stage, because you are removing people’s rights, which is very serious,” the group’s co-founder Jane Golding, a lawyer living in Germany, said.

“There is a special duty of care and no one should fall between the cracks. This will impact access to healthcare, pensions, rental of properties, ability to get mortgages, employments, all the same sorts of issues impacting EU citizens living in the UK.”
The same here. All residents have the right to a state pension based on how long they live in the country. You dont pay for it and it is for everyone.