:funny: :funny:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:41 am

Brexit means Brexit.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Joe Biden supports EU position on Northern Ireland, says Von der Leyen
Brussels chief says US president agrees Britain should not ditch post-Brexit protocol

Ursula von der Leyen has claimed that the EU’s position on Northern Ireland has the support of the US president, as Brussels prepares a “ladder” of retaliatory options up to and including the suspension of the UK trade deal over Boris Johnson’s threats to ditch the current post-Brexit arrangements.

After a meeting at the White House, the European Commission president said Joe Biden was in agreement with the bloc that Johnson should not upend the tortuously negotiated Northern Ireland protocol.

Next week the commission is expected to present EU states with various retaliatory options if the UK government goes ahead with its threat to suspend parts of the arrangements designed to avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.
Where is the "special relationship"? Biden's Irishness is more important.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am

I think avoiding going back to the troubles is probably a more significant factor than Biden's Irish antecedents.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 am

For Ireland yes but for Biden no.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:13 am

I think your barking up the wrong tree this time. The Clinton administration played a vital role is negotiating the settlement known as the Good Friday Agreement, so it's only natural that the US should have something to say on the current state of that international peace treaty.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:54 pm

Biden it is personal which why he is snubbing Johnson.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:51 am

UK ‘tough guy’ act on Northern Ireland will end in disaster, says Irish minister
European affairs minister says British government out of step with preserving peace with protocol threats

Ireland’s minister for European affairs has said that a “tough guy approach” when it comes to Northern Ireland will lead to disaster, adding that threats to suspend the Northern Ireland protocol represented the first time the UK government has been out of step with the international consensus on preserving peace and stability in Northern Ireland in 25 years.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4, Thomas Byrne said there was “a serious danger of complete instability in Northern Ireland” if the UK government continues its “tough guy approach” through threats to trigger article 16, which would suspend post-Brexit trade arrangements.

He said: “We have a situation where we have the US putting pressure on the British government, the EU united in one voice with concern about Northern Ireland, Ireland concerned about Northern Ireland. We’ve never had a situation in the last 25 years where the British government is out of the loop on that.

“We want very close relations with the British government and good cooperation, we want to be singing off the same hymn sheet.”
Does Johnson care? I doubt it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:51 pm

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 am

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 am

Bloody hell.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:10 pm

This is typical of the crap Brexiteers read in the UK.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:20 pm

Once again the real story behind Brexit:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am

‘People expect cheap food, drink and accommodation – that horse has bolted’: a hotelier on life without EU workers
Veryan Palmer should be looking forward to her Cornish hotel’s best ever November. Instead, she is having to shut rooms at the five-star establishment

The Headland hotel in Cornwall has been in Veryan Palmer’s family all her life. Her parents bought the imposing Victorian pile overlooking Fistral Beach, Newquay, 43 years ago. Now Palmer, 37, is director. They have always had staff from Europe. “My parents would talk about when European countries joined the EU they would suddenly get an influx of staff from a new country,” she says. “They remember the summer that Poland joined and the sudden influx of Polish housekeeping staff who are just phenomenal.”

In 2019, about half the staff were non-British. Palmer attributes the identity and the success of the hotel – one of just two in the county with five stars – to them. “There is no chance we would be where we are now without the skills of people coming from other countries.”

It used not to be hard to recruit. “Cornwall is a lovely place to come and work; we’re pretty hot on the work-life balance, and the life part is pretty fun, with beaches and surfing. So it’s always been attractive for hospitality team members from across Europe.”

Workers came from all over: Spain, Italy, France, Poland, Romania, Estonia, sometimes whole families. Some came for just a summer, to practise their English; others came over and settled. They brought experience with them, says Palmer. “They have a greater understanding of what our European guests want, and a skill level you don’t always see in UK hospitality workers. In Europe, a lot of young people have part-time jobs from around the age of 16, so when they come over at 18 or 20 they have already got quite a bit of work experience. They understand that if work starts at nine, you turn up at five to nine. We end up doing quite a lot of life-skills training for people who have been brought up in the UK.”
Where are all the UK workers that need work? That was going to be a big positive from Brexit...

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:24 am

If you think it is just one story:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... eu-workers

In almost every sector. Where are the UK workers working?