BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Hermit » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 am

"...no one should fall between the cracks." :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:08 am

Once again Brexit is proving to be the disaster every one warned about:

British food and drink exports to EU fall by £2bn in first quarter of 2021
Industry body says analysis of HMRC data shows structural rather than teething problems with Brexit

British food and drink exports to the EU fell by £2bn in the first three months of 2021, with sales of dairy products plummeting by 90%, according to an analysis of HMRC data.

Brexit checks, stockpiling and Covid have been blamed for much of the downturn, but the sector has said the figures show structural rather than teething problems with the UK’s departure from the EU.

“The loss of £2bn of exports to the EU is a disaster for our industry, and is a very clear indication of the scale of losses that UK manufacturers face in the longer-term due to new trade barriers with the EU,” said Dominic Goudie, the head of international trade at the Food and Drink Federation (FDF).

He called on the government to “stop prevaricating” over proposals to help exporters “shut out of trading with the EU”.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 am

Brexit means Brexit.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 am

People in the UK are learning a very hard lessen.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:16 am
Including the 48% who voted "remain".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:32 am

Hermit wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Including the 48% who voted "remain".
Well if you allow such an important referendum based on lies to be decided by a straight vote there are bound to be casualties.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 am

Tories just got whacked in the balls in the Amersham byelection. Lib Dems overturned a 16,000 majority by 8,000 votes, and the unknown junior minister they put up for an interview on the BBC this morning wasn't asked about Brexit or the pandemic! Instead the story was all about whether the Tories were ignoring their traditional southern supporters by focusing on the northern regions they took from Labour at the last election. That and how it was Labour's worst showing in the seat. Anything to not talk about the Chumocracy eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 am

Well the tories have limited areas of conversation these days. Outside of Boris they dont have much to speak about. Everything has gone down the plughole and the teflon is wearing thin. Those wonderful trade deals are far away and I dont think Biden would wont the UK as the 51st state. And Boris cant fag Biden like he did Trump.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:51 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
But is that lesson 'never listen to the tories, their promises to the less wealthy are always false.'?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:58 am

Now its TV programmes:

EU prepares to cut amount of British TV and film shown post-Brexit
Exclusive: number of UK productions seen as ‘disproportionate’ and threat to Europe’s cultural diversity

The EU is preparing to act against the “disproportionate” amount of British television and film content shown in Europe in the wake of Brexit, in a blow to the UK entertainment industry and the country’s “soft power” abroad.

The UK is Europe’s biggest producer of film and TV programming, buoyed up by £1.4bn from the sale of international rights, but its dominance has been described as a threat to Europe’s “cultural diversity” in an internal EU document seen by the Guardian.

The issue is likely to join a list of points of high tension in the EU-UK relationship since the country left the single market and customs union, including disputes over the sale of British sausages in Northern Ireland and the issue of licences in fishing waters, which led to Royal Navy patrol boats being deployed to Jersey earlier this year.

Brussels’ target this time is the continuing definition of British programmes and film as being “European works”.

Under the EU’s audiovisual media services directive, a majority of airtime must be given to such European content on terrestrial television and it must make up at least 30% of the number of titles on video on demand (VOD) platforms such as Netflix and Amazon.

Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.
Brexit is Brexit.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 am

"Carry on up the EU" :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:13 am

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Five years on, we finally know what Brexit means: a worse deal for everyone
Polly Toynbee wrote:On trade, finance, migration, food standards and more, the UK suffers fresh ignominy on a daily basis

Five years ago today, in the early hours, Britain discovered what it had done – and what had been done to it by the liars, charlatans and rogues who mis-sold Brexit as “taking back control”. The wound is as fresh as ever. Breaking apart political parties and reversing erstwhile red or blue wall seats is a minor matter, but Brexit’s explosive division of the country by social class, geography and a deep sense of personal identity is a lasting injury.

Few have changed their mind: though polls put remain (or return) ahead by a nose, no one wants to be put through that hell again. Brexit is done for the foreseeable future, though a government thriving on national disunity strives to keep it alive with infantile culture wars and “anti-woke” phoney patriotism. Polls give the Conservatives a 14-point lead, as they head into next week’s Batley and Spen byelection. No surprise, for what party in power could dream of a better boast than this: the vaccines are genuinely bestowing the gift of staying alive on every single citizen. And Britain is out ahead of other European countries: pollsters tell me voters sincerely (though unjustly) believe that had we remained in the EU, we couldn’t have had our own programme. Despite EU vaccinators catching up, and the UK having more people dead and more debt than they do, Covid is still a convenient cover.

Yet barely a day goes by without further proofs of Brexit’s damage, some of it now forcing its way into the Tory press. This week, pigeon fanciers are barred from having their birds participate in cross-Channel races by new rules. Less niche is the alarming 17% rise in food prices: Ian Wright, of the Food and Drink Federation, tells me Brexit costs and obstructions have sent commodity prices soaring, and those are now working their way on to the shelves. The unexpected £2bn fall in UK food and drink exports to the EU in just the first quarter of this year is, Wright tells me, “no teething problem, but very real and sustained. Smaller firms have stopped exporting”, overwhelmed by the new obstacles. The government may turn a permanent blind eye to import checks starting next week: “But that soon gets dangerous. When no one checks, who knows if imported food is what it says on the tin, and not, say, horse meat?”

Financial services are migrating to the EU: by March, Brexit had already driven away an estimated £1.3 tn of assets and jobs. By April, more than 440 finance firms had fled, taking 10% of the UK’s financial sector assets, worth a staggering £900bn, while foreign investment subsides.
Yep Brexit is Brexit.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:34 pm

The mindless idiots in the DUP will marching shortly with theirs drums and whistles.

New DUP leader targets end to Northern Ireland protocol
Sir Jeffrey Donaldson seeks to draw line under party infighting and adopts hard line on Irish Sea border

Sir Jeffrey Donaldson has demanded the removal of the Northern Ireland protocol, in his first speech as leader of the Democratic Unionist party.

The MP for Lagan Valley took a hard line over the Irish Sea border on Thursday, calling it the “greatest threat to the economic integrity of the United Kingdom in any of our lifetimes”.

Donaldson spoke in Belfast hours after being ratified as the DUP’s third leader in three months, a cycle of party turmoil that continued with the resignation of a Stormont assembly member.

Alex Easton, an assembly member for North Down, announced he was quitting the party after 21 years in despair at the infighting.

“I have had to stand back and watch as colleagues tear themselves apart, brief against other colleagues and run to the media in order to hurt each other on a daily basis,” Easton said. “There is no respect, discipline or decency, I have just had enough.”

The resignation overshadowed an inaugural keynote address in which Donaldson attempted to draw a line under ructions that led to Arlene Foster being ousted as party leader in April, followed by a revolt against her successor, Edwin Poots, last month.

“I think that we can all agree that the last few months have not been the proudest in the history of the DUP,” Donaldson said. “When we should have been focused on the needs of wider society, we have been consumed with the internal politics of the party.”

Police across Northern Ireland are preparing for loyalist marches next week that will commemorate 18th-century battlefield victories and protest against the protocol.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 am

A a Brexit tory admits that Brexit was probably a mistake!!!

UK to set out new Northern Ireland protocol plan after Cummings admits Brexit could be mistake – live
Good morning. In his interview with the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg broadcast last night, Dominic Cummings, the key strategist behind the Vote Leave campaign and Boris Johnson’s former chief adviser, admitted that he could not be sure Brexit was a good idea. He said:

Questions like is Brexit a good idea? No-one on earth knows ... what the answer to that is.

And when Kuenssberg asked him to confirm that he was not sure Brexit was a good idea, he replied:

I think anyone who says they’re sure about questions like that has got a screw loose, whether you’re on the remain side or our side ... I think it’s perfectly reasonable to say Brexit was a mistake.

Cummings did, though, stress that he still thought Brexit was a good thing.00
Another dreamer Lord Frost thinks the EU will accept the following:

In a move that officials called a “wholesale change of approach”, Lord David Frost, Cabinet Office minister, will outline a strategy that seeks to eliminate most of the checks on the Irish Sea trade border that came into force in January.

And in a warning that Britain could suspend the Northern Ireland protocol in its Brexit deal with the EU if the bloc does not give way, Frost will claim the UK is already within its rights to activate the article 16 override clause in the agreement ...

Frost’s proposals are expected to include an “honesty box” approach, where companies that said their goods were destined only for sale and use in Northern Ireland should be exempted from checks on the Irish Sea border.

Britain also wants Brussels to agree to a dual-standards regime that would allow goods that conform to UK rules to circulate freely in Northern Ireland alongside EU-compliant products, so long as they were labelled as only for use in the region, according to people with knowledge of the proposals.

Another strand of the proposals is expected to seek to remove any role for the European Commission or the European Court of Justice in the operation of the Northern Ireland protocol.
An HONESTY BOX!!