BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:54 am

:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 am

"It is deeply disturbing that Boris Johnson, a high priest of the Brexit movement, still doesn't seem to understand the most basic aspects of his project, or the consequences of the whirlwind of populism he unleashed in the UK," Sophie In't Veld, a liberal member of the European Parliament told CNN. "It is likely he will now have to deliver on the undeliverable promises he made during the referendum campaign; Europe will not assist him with these matters,"

It's not just Johnson. The only other candidate left in the race, Jeremy Hunt, has been making equally evidence-free claims that he can get some kind of new deal on the basis that he used to be a businessman and is good at deals.
This is what Brexit has come to. Three years since the UK voted to leave the EU, it's becoming abundantly clear that those at the very top of the political elite have either not understood or chosen to ignore the lessons Theresa May learned the hardest way imaginable.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/25/uk/b ... index.html
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:06 am

Those Etonian blaggards understand the realities of the situation, they just consdier such realities irrelevant to their political success. They're just flat-out lying now, and that's become so commonplace around this issue that nobody seems particularly surprised or even bothered by it.

Today members of the Boris Leadership Circus are saying that any future Parliamentary motion to stop a no-deal exit would have 'no legal effect' - therefore giving the impression that Johnson, if elected leader, could push Britain off the Brexit cliff regardless.

Three things about that.

First, this is a ploy to appeal to Tory Brexitarians who think that a no-deal Brexit is an imperative regardless of what Parliament or the public say or want. As we saw last week an overwhelming majority of Tory members would rather see the Conservative party destroyed or the economy collapse than the negotiated Brexit deal or a remain.

Second, the main feature of the Leave campaign's marketing was the idea that Sovereignty should be returned to the UK from the EU - of 'Taking Back Control'. It is therefore not only ironic, but an example of mass cognitive dissonance, that the UK's idea of Sovereignty residing in Parliament can be excised from Westminster and grafted straight onto the head of the PM. This renders Sovereignty a function of the whim of a single individual: which is to say, this isn't 'Taking Back Control' but ceding control to the Prime Minister as a kind of elected absolute Monarch on the American model.

Thirdly, I don't think even Boris is so stupid or ignorant as to believe that sidestepping what we call 'the sovereign will of Parliament' in this way is actually a viable political option nor to imagine that the public will support it. That's not the point though - the point is to appeal directly to Brexitarian Tory members and to create a context for Boris' future failures as Tory leader and Prime Minister: "Look guys, I tried my best, but the EU and/or that Marxist Corbyn are gaming the system, taking advantage of us and subverting the will of the people..." and other stuff straight from the Bannon playbook.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:07 am

I liked also this bit in that report rainbow:
And whether on Johnson's personal life or his controversial political style, it's this question of trust -- or more precisely, character -- that is dominating the news in Britain, rather than his policy plans or Brexit proposals. The preoccupation is understandable -- the most striking aspect of Johnson's campaign so far has been his remarkably low profile. But Johnson's reluctance to answer questions on his own personal merits has led to others filling the gap.
"To say Johnson's character is deeply flawed is like saying water is slightly wet. If he becomes prime minister, he will be the man most deficient in probity ever to hold the post," Simon Heffer, under whom Johnson worked at the Daily Telegraph newspaper during the 1990s, told CNN.
He has the Trump disease.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:13 am

This is the worrying aspect:
Brian Peacock wrote:and other stuff straight from the Bannon playbook.
The 1% in America and the UK want to destroy the EU. It is for some their sole aim. With people like Bannon, Farage and Johnson they want to attach a limpet mine to body EU.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 am

Johnson says the chance of no deal by 31 October is “a million to one against”. Yet unless he plans something as yet unrevealed, this is rubbish. His hard Brexit is based on a legal fantasy, that under World Trade Organization rules you can have an agreement without a deal. The matter is not one of opinion but of law. Hunt, meanwhile, feels obliged to repeat May’s “no deal is better than a bad deal” mantra. This Dutch auction of chaos is cheered on by Tory party members.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... eremy-hunt
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 pm

A nice negative Dutch comment there. :lol:

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:55 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:19 pm
A nice negative Dutch comment there. :lol:
:roll:
We try to produce a balanced review of the situation.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am

Dutch auctions allow our flower/vegetable industries to flourish. Just because the English cant understand them is of no surprise.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:30 am
Dutch auctions allow our flower/vegetable industries to flourish. Just because the English cant understand them is of no surprise.
There's no lack of understanding about the term, either in the functional or colloquial sense. We all know what a Dutch auction is, and using it is not a criticism of the Dutch: here it was used to illustrate how Tory Brexitarian hopefuls have been putting their carts before their horses, rationalising from their conclusions rather than towards them, and generally being completely arse-backwares in giving the public the misleading impression that the UK will be able to demand more favourable terms to Mrs May's negotiated post-Brexit UK/EU agreement after a no-deal exit.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Nobody really did their sums at the beginning of this fiasco. It has never really been about economics - at least for rabid Brexiteers. They just wanted ‘their country back’, whatever that means in this day and age.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:58 pm

It was all about money and taxes. Simple.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:14 pm

No it wasn’t. Simple.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:48 am

Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt have been accused of trying to turn the UK into a haven for tax evaders and money launderers after the Tory leadership rivals each backed the creation of “freeports” on the east coast.

Under proposals being considered by Johnson, Teesside, Aberdeen and Peterhead could become economic zones, considered independent for customs purposes, that charge no taxes or tariffs on imports.

These zones, known as freeports, are typically used to store high-value items such as valuable artworks, precious stones or antiques. They were heavily criticised by a European parliament report last year for facilitating “illegal activity” such as tax evasion and money-laundering.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -freeports
BArF−4