BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:49 pm

More jobs than people.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:54 am

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:05 am

Goods shipped directly from Ireland to EU up by 50% in six months
Exporters move away from traditional Dublin to Britain routes to avoid Brexit red tape

Volumes of goods shipped directly from Ireland to the EU on new Brexit-busting ferry routes have rocketed by 50% in the past six months as exporters seek to avoid travelling across land through Great Britain, according to official data.

Figures published by the Irish Maritime Development Office (IMDO) show significant traffic diverted away from the traditional routes between Dublin and Britain to some of 32 new ferry services direct to ports such as Le Havre, Cherbourg and Dunkirk in France and Zeebrugge in Belgium

The IMDO report shows freight volumes from Dublin port to Liverpool and Holyhead in Anglesey down 19% in the first three-quarters of 2021 compared with 2020 and down by 30% on the two routes from Rosslare in south-east Ireland to the Welsh ports of Pembroke and Fishguard.

“It is clear that the new trading arrangements between Ireland and the UK have had a significant and negative effect upon ro-ro [roll-on roll-off lorry haulage] freight traffic between the two countries,” the IMDO report said. “Underpinning all of these trends are the new customs and trading arrangements between Ireland and the UK that came into force on 1 January 2021,” it added.

“One-third of all ro-ro in the Republic of Ireland now operates on direct routes to ports in the European Union, up from a 16% share in 2019,” the IMDO said.

Traffic for the second and third quarters of this year show Irish Republic to EU traffic is already up by 52% compared with the entirety of 2019, it added.

Rosslare Europort has benefited most. It is now taking 49% of EU traffic, with another 49% going through Dublin and 2% via Cork.

On Saturday, Rosslare Europort said, it had its busiest day in its history. Its general manager, Glenn Carr, put the increased demand down to the desire to avoid the UK, but also a reduction in trade with Great Britain because of Brexit red tape and cost.

“In particular industries, we’re definitely seeing where traditionally a lot of goods were sourced in the UK or exported to the UK, there’s been a switch to Europe,” he told journal.ie. “We definitely see it in the port in terms of the mix of goods that are there now – ingredients, food, dairy, pharmaceuticals.”
More of those new hills and plains Johnson was claiming.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:27 am

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 pm

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:02 pm

Millions of daffodils ‘will rot’ if Brexit denies UK farmers foreign workers
Flower growers fear end of the UK’s £100m industry as Covid and border restrictions lead to lack of seasonal workers

Millions of daffodil stems will be left to rot in the fields this spring, as growers face a critical labour shortage that they fear could spell the end of the entire industry.

“If we can’t recruit more pickers, there won’t be a daffodil industry left. The situation is very grim,” said James Hosking, of Fentongollan Farm, near Truro in Cornwall.

Some growers expect up to 75% of their crop will be left unpicked this spring due to a lack of workers. Many smaller growers are planning to give up daffodil growing entirely, with attempts to recruit locals failing to bring enough people to the fields.

Cornwall’s mild climate and light intensity make it the heart of the UK’s £100m industry, with around 80% of the world’s daffodils grown in the duchy. Harvesting begins in the first week of January and a workforce of around 2,500 people is needed to pick over a billion stems.
What a shame... Never thought it through did they?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:04 pm

daffodil industry? wtf?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:15 pm

The UK exports more than this country believe it or not. :oops: :oops:
Another niche industry being destroyed by Brexit.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:24 pm

One year on, most voters say Brexit has gone badly
An Opinium poll also found that 42% of people who voted Leave in 2016 had a negative view of how it had turned out

More than six out of 10 voters believe Brexit has either gone badly or worse than they expected – a year after the UK left the EU, according to an anniversary poll for the Observer.

The Opinium survey – coming a week after the minister in charge of Brexit, Lord Frost, resigned from Boris Johnson’s government – also found that 42% of people who voted Leave in 2016 had a negative view of how Brexit had turned out so far.

26% of Leave supporters said it had gone worse than they expected, while 16% of those who voted for Brexit said they had expected it to go badly and had been proved right.

Among people who voted Remain, 86% said it had gone badly or worse than they expected. Overall, just 14% of all voters said Brexit had gone better than expected.

Adam Drummond, of Opinium, said the most striking finding was that Leavers were now more hesitant about the virtues of Brexit than previously.

“For most of the Brexit process any time you’d ask a question that could be boiled down to ‘is Brexit good or bad?’ you’d have all of the Remainers saying ‘bad’ and all of the Leavers saying ‘good’ and these would cancel each other out,” he said.
What did they expect? Boris's sunny uplands?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:05 am

Given how brexit has gone, and how it was previsible, I motion that every tory that supported it, and every moron that voted for it be hanged, drawn and quartered, as warranted by their act of high treason.
Not only is it only justice, but if there's employment problems among the drinking classes, that could be allayed by hiring enough hangmen to execute the deed in a reasonable time frame.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:18 am

The survey, along with the closeness of the ballot itself, simply shows that voters cannot be pegged into one of the two extreme positions the media have favoured when talking about this. We're not a nation divided into either bulldog owning little Englanders or woke and willing slaves to the EU. That kind of reductionism only favours those already ideologically commited to the extremes, and even then that characterisation is weighted in favour of the people with the money and power to do something about it - and you don't need a degree in political science to figure out who they are.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:24 am

Britons who want to rejoin EU at highest since 2016, survey finds

Data showed 58% would vote to re-enter bloc, while more respondents said they trusted the European Commission more than the UK government.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rvey-finds

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:53 am

But blue passports...!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:22 pm

Like a dog returns to its vomit...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!