The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm
Has anyone verified if Trump's claim that Harvard admitted her only because of her Native American heritage?
No, but they sure as hell got mileage out of billing her as the first native american professor and a "professor of color."

Harvard, always proud of taking into consideration race and ethnicity to increase their diversity, but under no circumstances would a person of color's race and ethnicity of being an American indian have been even the smallest factor in the hiring process....
Harvard Law School officials listed Warren as one of several minority hires in 1996.

“Of 71 current Law School professors and assistant professors, 11 are women, five are black, one is Native American and one is Hispanic,” then-Law School spokesman Mike Chmura told the Harvard Crimson in a 1996 article.

Chmura later told the publication that Warren was the first woman with a minority background to be tenured at HLS.

Harvard University officials have maintained an stony silence when asked about the administration’s decision to promote Warren as a minority hire. A university spokeswoman didn’t respond to additional questions about the issue yesterday.

Harvard wasn’t the only university facing pressure to hire minority faculty. The University of Pennsylvania also reported Warren as a minority hire when she taught there.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/column ... hould_have
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 pm
Is it just me, or does the Warren baiting whiff of 'identify politics' - 'white identify politics'?
What would you say if a Republican was saying exactly what Warren said about her native American-ness?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

If a Republican claimed it, they sure would have gotten into Harvard! As President!

But she never said she was a member of a tribe. Lots of Americans say they are Irish or Scottish simply based on their last name.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Tero wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm
If a Republican claimed it, they sure would have gotten into Harvard! As President!

But she never said she was a member of a tribe. Lots of Americans say they are Irish or Scottish simply based on their last name.
She said, flat out, that her parents had to elope because they were Cherokee and Delaware and her racist grandparents wouldn't stand for the marriage. Horseshit. Her mom couldn't point to a parent, or grandparent, or great grandparent that was Indian, much less in a tribe.

Lots of Americans say they are Irish or Scottish, but they don't sit there and say their parents couldn't get a job because "no Irish Need Apply..." - and generally, Americans say they're Irish or Scottish because their grandpappy Tugs O'Hoolihan came over during some famine or another. They don't say "I have no idea of any Irish ancestor, but my family lore was that we were Irish, and here's my contribution to the Erin Go Bra-less cookbook of Irish Pot Pie recipes, and by the way my grand pappy was a sin-eater going way back. I'm a person of Black Irish color!"

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm
Why not just take the hit? If your parents lied to you then they lied. You look silly, but haven't we all?

Dems need to hire me man.
Because that makes her sound stupid, too. Like, if she was a teenager or college kid and "told" by her parents (supposedly) that they were Cherokee and Delaware going way back - so much so that mom and dad had to elope because racist grandparents wouldn't have no injun in the family - wouldn't you give it a look-see to find out? She just said, "do-dee-do! I guess we're part indian, so much so that I'm a 'person of color'...? -- Family lore means you can list yourself as a "person of color" now?

Oh, my family lore says I'm African...at least from the waist down...heh heh heh! I'm a person of color!
When did Warren claim to be a 'person of colour'?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:25 pm
Tero wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm

She said, flat out, that her parents had to elope because they were Cherokee and Delaware and her racist grandparents wouldn't stand for the marriage. Horseshit. Her mom couldn't point to a parent, or grandparent, or great grandparent that was Indian, much less in a tribe.

Lots of Americans say they are Irish or Scottish, but they don't sit there and say their parents couldn't get a job because "no Irish Need Apply..." - and generally, Americans say they're Irish or Scottish because their grandpappy Tugs O'Hoolihan came over during some famine or another. They don't say "I have no idea of any Irish ancestor, but my family lore was that we were Irish, and here's my contribution to the Erin Go Bra-less cookbook of Irish Pot Pie recipes, and by the way my grand pappy was a sin-eater going way back. I'm a person of Black Irish color!"
You've moved on from saying she was just making it all up to holding Warren morally accountable for the family lore that was passed to her as a child. Every family tells stories about itself, about who they are and where they come from, but you're going further to suggest that Warren is morally culpable for not checking the veracity of that lore and which, you'll note, only really became an issue once the President started taking the piss out of her. The whole shtick is about justifying how taking the piss out of Warren for her 'supposed' Native American heritage is reasonable and right.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Animavore wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am
She fucked up on this one. She fed the troll. Don't feed the troll. Put him on ignore. Talk about policy and watch the no-nothing fool Trump get lost in the conversation.

"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."
;this: Warren has a lot to say policy-wise, and this BS keeps the focus on an emotional "issue" that is just another of the silly dramas Trump likes to gin up. I wonder what the Cherokee nation thinks about universal single-payor insurance. :ask:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:26 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm
Why not just take the hit? If your parents lied to you then they lied. You look silly, but haven't we all?

Dems need to hire me man.
Because that makes her sound stupid, too. Like, if she was a teenager or college kid and "told" by her parents (supposedly) that they were Cherokee and Delaware going way back - so much so that mom and dad had to elope because racist grandparents wouldn't have no injun in the family - wouldn't you give it a look-see to find out? She just said, "do-dee-do! I guess we're part indian, so much so that I'm a 'person of color'...? -- Family lore means you can list yourself as a "person of color" now?

Oh, my family lore says I'm African...at least from the waist down...heh heh heh! I'm a person of color!
When did Warren claim to be a 'person of colour'?
“Warren self-identified as a ‘Native American’ in the Association of American Law Schools Directory of law professors in every edition printed between 1986 -1995.”
back in 1997, Harvard Law School was touting Elizabeth Warren as their first “woman of color” law professor. A year earlier, the law school had told the Harvard Crimson, in response to claims that the faculty wasn’t diverse enough, that “although the conventional wisdom among students and faculty is that the Law School faculty includes no minority women, [Mike] Chmura [spokesperson for the Law School] said Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren is Native American.” A year later, a Harvard Crimson editorial declared, “Harvard Law School currently has only one tenured minority woman, Gottlieb Professor of Law Elizabeth Warren, who is Native American.”
A 2005 report from the University of Pennsylvania’s Minority Equity Committee referred to Warren as a minority award winner.
After initially denying that she knew anything about how her employers/law schools were categorizing her...
she said she “provided that information to the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard.” As we now know, Warren is anywhere from 1/64 to 1/1024 Native American, and does not meet the criteria of “Native American” under anyone’s definition but her own.
What’s more, the story Warren has been telling about her family history for years doesn’t make much sense now:

My mom and dad were very much in love and they wanted to get married. And my father’s parents said, ‘Absolutely not, you can’t marry her, because she’s part Cherokee and part Delaware.’ After fighting it as long as they could, my parents went off, and they eloped. It was an issue in our family the whole time I grew up about these two families. It was an issue still raised at my mother’s funeral.

Warren describes her family being torn apart by racial animosity . . . when everybody in the family is white. The Boston Globe wrote a long article attempting to dispel the notion that minority status played any role in any of Warren’s job opportunities, promotions, or tenure, but it included this quote from David Wilkins, one of the only black law professors on Harvard’s staff who voted for hiring Warren: “Let’s be blunt. Elizabeth Warren is a white woman. She may have some Native American roots, but so do most people.”

Elizabeth Warren is, by just about anybody’s definition, white. At the very least, she was comfortable with Harvard and the University of Pennsylvania describing her as a “person of color” or a racial “minority.”
The “person of color” characterization is what really worries Warren, I suspect. It’s easy to imagine some future presidential debate stage, and Kamala Harris, or Cory Booker, or Deval Patrick turning to Warren and asking, “Did you really think you deserved to be called a ‘woman of color’ in American society?”
https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... haunt-her/

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 pm

No, she is wrong. She changed her status to Native American after being hired and was touted by Harvard as a Native American professor and a person of color. She doesn't have a good answer as to why she did that.

She messed up.

But 42, dude, you voted for Trump and you will vote for him again. Aren't you the least bit embarrassed to be laying into Warren for this relatively minor "sin"? You're totally a Republican dude, get over it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 pm

If she does indeed run, and Trump survives to 2020, he will be addressing her as Pocahontas pretty much at every turn. It’s time to come up with a come-back, but not use it till she is placed high enough in the Democratic primary.

Trump family lore/fact: his daddy was in the KKK.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

I don't believe in minimizing it. She should suck it up and take the hit. Do it quickly, make a statement and then refuse to talk about it. Harvard is never going to admit it should've known better, but she can. We're understanding people. Her opponents will become birthers in time.

As for 42's comment that she'll look stupid, well, we all do, and besides, that's a big plus on his side of the aisle! :biggrin:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm
Animavore wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am
She fucked up on this one. She fed the troll. Don't feed the troll. Put him on ignore. Talk about policy and watch the no-nothing fool Trump get lost in the conversation.

"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."
;this: Warren has a lot to say policy-wise, and this BS keeps the focus on an emotional "issue" that is just another of the silly dramas Trump likes to gin up. I wonder what the Cherokee nation thinks about universal single-payor insurance. :ask:
Yes, let's discuss her plan to nationalize every major business with $1 billion or more revenue.
Under Senator Warren’s proposal, no business with more than $1 billion in revenue would be permitted to legally operate without permission from the federal government. The federal government would then dictate to these businesses the composition of their boards, the details of internal corporate governance, compensation practices, personnel policies, and much more. Naturally, their political activities would be restricted, too. Senator Warren’s proposal entails the wholesale expropriation of private enterprise in the United States, and nothing less. It is unconstitutional, unethical, immoral, irresponsible, and — not to put too fine a point on it — utterly bonkers.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/08/ ... hard-left/

The bill requires corporations with more than $1 billion in annual revenue to obtain a federal charter.Require that employees elect at least 40% of board members. Restricts political expenditures. Restricts the sale of shares of stock. Allows the federal government to put them out of business.

Her recipe for crony capitalism is complete and obvious crap. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/15/economi ... ided-.html

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Tero wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 pm
If she does indeed run, and Trump survives to 2020,
Trump will be reelected by a landslide, because Warren's political positions are battier than her bullshit Native American heritage. I would love to see her defend her her Accountable Capitalism Act in a debate. LOL. Only an extreme socialist could possibly sign on to that load of manure.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:24 pm

We really need a thread devoted to tearing a politician apart because she maybe exaggerated her legitimate Native American ancestry.

Whereas Trump lies every time he opens his mouth, and there's total radio silence from the same quarters (unless it's to defend him).

Hmmm.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:09 pm
But 42, dude, you voted for Trump and you will vote for him again. Aren't you the least bit embarrassed to be laying into Warren for this relatively minor "sin"? You're totally a Republican dude, get over it.
No - it's hilarious.

You're totally a Democrat, dude, get over it. The funny part is, you think that makes you superior to Republicans.

The whole system is breaking down. With the Ted Cruzes and the Marco Rubios on the Republican side, and the Corey Bookers and Kamala Harrises (and Elizabeth Warrens) on the Democrat side, the entire American political establishment is fucking screwed. LOL.

Of course I voted for Trump. He's the only one out there to get shit done that matters. Economy. Defense. Borders. Deregulation. Lower taxes. Low unemployment. That's what helps people in real life. Look at what Warren's big proposal is - a new law to create a huge bureaucracy, require corporations to get federal charters, and regulate who sits on their boards of directors, restricts their sale of stock and restricts their political expenditures, etc. That's what Warren wants to do. If that's the shit she focuses on, you're damn right I'll vote for Trump again, with vigor. I don't care how many strippers he wrote checks to.

And, you're right about Warren - she should have owned it -early and clearly - she should have said - look, I don't know what to tell you - this was a family lore thing - I don't have a DNA test - I'm white, clearly - but, like a lot of families in Oklahoma, our families believed we were part Cherokee. "But Ms. Warren, what about representing yourself as a native American to the universities.... etc.?" - "Oh, well, that was, I can see now, a mistake, but at the time, it was just what I always called myself. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but really, let's get on to the economy..."

If she did something like that, she'd take small hit, temporarily, but the issue would be gone, diffused, over. However, instead, she's been arguing the point. She's giving in to her opponents, by actually trying to argue completely ridiculous and untenable positions on this issue. She makes herself look ridiculous, and the meme and cartoon opportunities are just hilarious.