The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: The Make Fun of Elizabeth Warren Thread

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:03 am

That's a reasonable point. But she is seen as having listed herself as Native American with nothing more than her word to go on. That rubs people the wrong way, and even more so now that they know the Native American in her family possibly dates back to the 1800s or before. That doesn't exactly fit her parents tale of woe at the hands of a racist family? The last bit being a common thing for many Americans.

:dunno:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:57 pm
It strikes me that deriding someone for recounting family lore regarding Native American heritage presumes that Native American heritage is something essentially worthy of derision - that an association with the history or experience of Native American is something that a person can now be roundly denigrated for. What would we say about someone who derided people on the basis of Italian, Norwegian, or Congolese heritage, for example?
No no Brian, the conservatives are doing it to protect the heritage and honour of Native American Indians.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:14 am

But we don't have to think much about it really. It is pure smear, and from guys that defend Trump to boot. Do we need more evidence these aren't good guys?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:19 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
It strikes me that deriding someone for recounting family lore regarding Native American heritage presumes that Native American heritage is something essentially worthy of derision...
Nobody presumes that Native American heritage is something essentially worthy of derision, but the Republicans are getting plenty of political mileage out of Warren's claim on the grounds of basically SFA evidence and that she has allegedly milked it to her advantage.

As for the recent DNA test, she should have kept that under her hat. A native ancestor six or ten generations ago is even less significant in regard to her identity than her grandmother's (?) previous claim. She's just opening herself up to further ridicule for that. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:19 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
It strikes me that deriding someone for recounting family lore regarding Native American heritage presumes that Native American heritage is something essentially worthy of derision...
Nobody presumes that Native American heritage is something essentially worthy of derision, but the Republicans are getting plenty of political mileage out of Warren's claim on the grounds of basically SFA evidence and that she has allegedly milked it to her advantage.

As for the recent DNA test, she should have kept that under her hat. A native ancestor six or ten generations ago is even less significant in regard to her identity than her grandmother's (?) previous claim. She's just opening herself up to further ridicule for that. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :roll:
Perhaps most of our family lore with regards to who our ancestors were and where we came from is subject to misapprehension, exaggeration, and divorced from the strict facts of the matter, but it doesn't stop it informing our view of who and what we are. My father for example claims that our family is descended from the Huguenots diaspora of the 16th Century - a bit of lore that sent me to the library to read up on the First and Second Refuges, Protestantism and Calvinism etc, but there's no evidence of it in our family tree. My grandfather on my mother's side claimed he had a medical degree from Heriot Watt University. But when he was called up for the Great War he served as a mere medical orderly and then spent 6 years as a gangboss on a Ceylon plantation after he was demobbed. On his return to the UK he worked in light engineering assembly lines associated with the car industry and finally ascended to the lofty heights of foreman, his medical degree apparently going completely to waste - but that's our family lore.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:42 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:44 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:19 am
Brian Peacock wrote:

Perhaps most of our family lore with regards to who our ancestors were and where we came from is subject to misapprehension, exaggeration, and divorced from the strict facts of the matter, but it doesn't stop it informing our view of who and what we are. My father for example claims that our family is descended from the Huguenots diaspora of the 16th Century - a bit of lore that sent me to the library to read up on the First and Second Refuges, Protestantism and Calvinism etc, but there's no evidence of it in our family tree. My grandfather on my mother's side claimed he had a medical degree from Heriot Watt University. But when he was called up for the Great War he served as a mere medical orderly and then spent 6 years as a gangboss on a Ceylon plantation after he was demobbed. On his return to the UK he worked in light engineering assembly lines associated with the car industry and finally ascended to the lofty heights of foreman, his medical degree apparently going completely to waste - but that's our family lore.
Another reason for Elizabeth Warren to shut the fuck up about it, don't you think?

My mother once told me we had some royal Scottish blood in us. I never cared to find out what royal Scot was interwoven with our family tree, or even what Scottish Royalty was. When I was a kid every German family made vague claims of being related to some royal personage or another somewhere in the past. I am confident that influenced our identity and behaviour to the exact same extent as Elizabeth Warren's does to hers: Zero, except in her case it's been biting her in the bum for a few years now. I fear that the Republicans will succeed in reducing her voter appeal, and that of the democratic party by association, to a large extent now that she has so foolishly raised the issue again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:06 am

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm
Has anyone verified if Trump's claim that Harvard admitted her only because of her Native American heritage?
I linked a refutation of that claim once already in the thread that Forty Two has studiously avoided (preferring to start this one, which is much more to his liking). Given that last year he put significant effort into repeatedly and strenuously asserting that Warren had lied about her heritage, I suppose that's understandable. :lol:

Anyway, the falsehood about her hiring at Harvard was concocted by another Republican back in 2012. What came out of Trump's porcine piehole was merely a crude regurgitation of a pre-existing slander.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 am

What’s the point? She’s not president, Mushroom Dick is.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 am

She is a popular progressive politician that Mushroom Dick sees as a possible opponent in 2020.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:01 am

Well if she runs, there will be all kinds of threads about her.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 am

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 pm
Has anyone verified if Trump's claim that Harvard admitted her only because of her Native American heritage?
It's definitely false.... she could be pureblood native American, Harvard would never have admitted her if her parents hadn't poured a bucketful of green behind her...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:52 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:20 pm
Why not just take the hit? If your parents lied to you then they lied. You look silly, but haven't we all?

Dems need to hire me man.
Because that makes her sound stupid, too. Like, if she was a teenager or college kid and "told" by her parents (supposedly) that they were Cherokee and Delaware going way back - so much so that mom and dad had to elope because racist grandparents wouldn't have no injun in the family - wouldn't you give it a look-see to find out? She just said, "do-dee-do! I guess we're part indian, so much so that I'm a 'person of color'...? -- Family lore means you can list yourself as a "person of color" now?

Oh, my family lore says I'm African...at least from the waist down...heh heh heh! I'm a person of color!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:21 pm
BTW 42, you're a Republican dude. get over it
Nope. Once again. Trump is the only one of the 16 or 17 Republicans that I would have voted for in the general election. I wouldn't have voted for Hillary Clinton, either, of course.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am

She fucked up on this one. She fed the troll. Don't feed the troll. Put him on ignore. Talk about policy and watch the no-nothing fool Trump get lost in the conversation.

"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."
Last edited by Animavore on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm
"Woman who claims distant ancestor was Indian proves it with science"

/thread
That isn't what she claimed.

She claimed to be a "person of color." She claimed her own parents couldn't get married because they were so Delaware and Cherokee - both tribes - that the racist grandparents couldn't look the neighbors in the face if Warren's mom joined the family. She wrote (well, plagiarized...) Pow Wow Chow cookbooks, claiming so much native culture that she could, well, write native american cookbooks...

Fucking hell...