"Alt-right" Still Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: "Alt-right" Still Parading Ignorance, Stupidity, Malice, Etc.

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:22 am

Turns out using children as ideological weapons
can be quite expensive...
Tommy Robinson loses libel case brought by Syrian schoolboy

The anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson has lost a libel case brought against him by a Syrian schoolboy who was filmed being attacked at school.

The English Defence League founder, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, was sued by Jamal Hijazi after an incident in a school playground in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, in October 2018.

Shortly after the video of the incident went viral, Robinson falsely claimed in Facebook videos viewed by nearly 1 million people that Hijazi was “not innocent and he violently attacks young English girls in his school”.

He also claimed Hijazi, now 18, “beat a girl black and blue” and “threatened to stab” another boy at his school, allegations the teenager denies.

In a high court judgment on Thursday, Mr Justice Matthew Nicklin said the consequences of Robinson’s falsehoods had been “particularly severe” for Hijazi, to whom he awarded £100,000 in damages.

The judge said Robinson had made Hijazi out to be “a violent aggressor” in the playground incident when he was in fact the victim.

The activist used language “calculated to inflame the situation”, Nicklin said, ultimately causing Hijazi to abandon his education and forcing his family to flee their home.

The teenager received death threats after becoming a target for the far right. Nicklin said the scars from the incident would “likely last for many years, if not a lifetime”.

The judgment leaves Robinson, who has previously been financially supported by right-leaning groups in the US, facing a heavy monetary penalty at a time when he claims to be bankrupt.

Robinson said he was “gobsmacked” by the costs Hijazi’s lawyers were claiming, which he said included £70,000 for taking witness statements. He added: “I’ve not got any money. I’m bankrupt. I’ve struggled hugely with my own issues these last 12 months … I ain’t got it.”

Nicklin acknowledged there were “limits on what can be enforced against him” as a result of Robinson’s bankruptcy, but ruled he should pay Hijazi’s legal costs, which were not stated in court...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -schoolboy
The BBC reports that legal costs in the case are over half a million £.

Poor Tommy Robinson.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Karma is a bitch...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

BarnettNewman
extemporaneous

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 pm

You know lawyers. I’m sure they’ll let this go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:41 pm

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... pops.12568
Styles of Communicating Conspiracy Theories
Thus far, we have considered why and where conspiracy messages are communicated. Next, we consider the communicative, linguistic, and persuasive devices employed by those communicating conspiracy theories.

Some emerging research has examined the communication of conspiracy theories about vaccines on social media (Dredze, Broniatowski, & Hilyard, 2016; Safford, Hamilton, & Whitmore, 2017; Sharma, Yadav, Yadav, & Ferdinand, 2017). For example, Grant et al. (2015) examined the content of two provaccination and two “vaccine-skeptical” websites to examine what might make antivaccination communication tactics successful. They found that vaccine-skeptical sites had links to both pro- and antivaccination material, creating the impression that both sides of the argument were being presented openly. In addition, the vaccine-skeptical sites were highly interactive, with spaces for community discussion, and oriented towards the creation of people affected (or think they are affected) by vaccination. The authors argue that vaccine-skeptical websites are more effective in fostering community building to achieve their ends. In contrast authoritative provaccination sites offer limited interactivity and focus on imparting evidence-based knowledge. Unfortunately, this format may fuel the conspiracist view of elites as aloof and dictatorial (see also Kata, 2010; Moran, Lucas, Everhart, Morgan, & Prickett, 2016).

Other lines of research also suggest that advocates of conspiracy theories are careful to appear rational and open-minded. A content analytical study by Wood and Douglas (2013) examined the comments made by 9/11 Truthers and their opponents on a large sample of comments from four mainstream news sites in 2011. The majority of the comments were from a conspiracist position, again suggesting that conspiracy advocates are disproportionately active in sharing and disseminating their views online. More interestingly, the conspiracist and conventionalist comments used different communication techniques—specifically that conspiracist arguments showed a tendency to spend more time arguing against the official explanation of 9/11 rather than offering any alternatives. Anticonspiracy rationalists, on the other hand, showed the opposite pattern, advocating their own “official” explanation more than arguing against the conspiracy position. They also used a more hostile tone (see also Golo & Galam, 2015) which may contribute to the sense, among conspiracy theory believers, that they comprise a bullied, principled minority whose opponents are using orthodox levers of power and authority to cow them.

Further insights into how conspiracy theories are communicated online have been yielded by text-based analysis. This methodology analyzes the frequency of individual words that have been categorized by expert raters (e.g., as emotion words, analytic words, as indicative of authenticity). Faasse, Chatman, and Martin (2016) applied this technique to 1,500 comments on a provaccination Facebook post by Mark Zuckerburg. The analysis revealed that antivaccination and provaccination comments tend to use different kinds of language. Antivaccination posts used more analytical, but less authentic, less anxious, and less tentative language. These findings suggest that online opponents, compared to proponents of vaccines, use more authoritative, confident, assured, and manipulative language.

To sum up, research suggests that people recruit conspiracy theories largely to justify their own political positions, and they do this even when their political leanings are radical or exclusionary. The Internet and social media are useful in these efforts but the conspiracy theories may not reach their potential impact because people tend to consume information from their own “bubbles” and dismiss what is not relevant to them personally. Scholars should make efforts to integrate studies of the communication of conspiracy theories with studies that look at the psychological and other factors that drive individuals’ beliefs.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Very interesting read. It occurred to me that the alt-Right is a classic self-perpetuating meme - light medieval Christianity, or capitalism.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:26 pm

C494B17F-A0E2-46D7-9A54-AB6DB771C234.jpeg

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm

There was some overlap in membership between those two sets...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:52 pm

:funny:

This is the level of dumb propaganda that Cunt and his ilk buy into. Homie's wearing a balaclava with "Antifa" and three arrows printed on the side. I wonder if it says "No really, I'm Antifa, I promise!" on the other side.

https://twitter.com/HawleyMO/status/1424447125346299905

The comments under the Fox News article are terrifying. This country is fucked.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:01 am

NYT
It’s a white person’s fantasy that racism is just a matter of a few semi-hysterical, possibly mentally unstable characters, ranting on the fringes, dismissed with a flick of the screen.
Likewise, today’s Karen contains multitudes. Her bias isn’t necessarily overt; she may believe she doesn’t have any. She’s the liberal white girlfriend perfectly at ease dissing the cop who asks her Black boyfriend for I.D., counting on her whiteness to prevent violence, and simultaneously a psychopath who sees Black people as mere vehicles for white self-actualization, as in Jordan Peele’s 2017 film, “Get Out.” She’s bipartisan, at once the conservative TV show host Megyn Kelly, waxing nostalgic in 2018 for a time when blackface was “OK,” and the progressive senator Elizabeth Warren, who, as a law professor in the 1980s and 1990s, identified herself as Native American (and was accorded minority status) based solely on family folklore about a distant ancestor at least six generations removed.

Widen the lens and any white woman — every white woman — could be a Karen, if she’s perceived as taking for granted the advantages bestowed by her skin color and ignoring the labor and suffering of others. Earlier this year, Rachel Hollis, a best-selling author of self-help books, was criticized as “unrelatable” for having a housekeeper whom she breezily described as someone who “cleans the toilets.” She defended herself by saying that she worked really hard to be able to afford a housekeeper — “most people don’t work this hard” — then drew an implicit comparison between herself and other “unrelatable” women, like the American abolitionist Harriet Tubman, who escaped slavery and made it her mission to help others do the same, and the Nobel Prize-winning Pakistani activist Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by the Taliban for speaking out against limits on girls’ education. To blithely presume kinship with such luminaries was both jarring and revealing of the delusions of grandeur that make these women Karens.

Even the young feminist heroines of the 2019 film “Booksmart” could be considered Karens: erstwhile good girls jonesing for a night of debauchery, who cite the civil rights activist Rosa Parks as a role model for breaking the rules, although in their case, this just means drinking and partying, then joking with the cops when one of them gets arrested the next morning. The ghost of Karen shimmers, too, in almost every character played by the actress Reese Witherspoon, from the relentless teenage overachiever Tracy Flick in “Election” (1999) to the domineering, narcissistic mothers in the TV series “Big Little Lies” (2017-19) and “Little Fires Everywhere” (2020). Arguably part of Witherspoon’s bankability as a movie star is her ability to bring nuance to and evoke empathy for these figures — to let an audience of predominantly and similarly privileged women recognize, rebuke and ultimately forgive a dark side of themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/12/t-ma ... ffe108c63e

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:34 am

Have the Alt-Right not crawled back under their rock yet?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm

A typical Karen.

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:34 pm

:{D
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm

It's your duty to die from the virus if you are true to the cause!

Marjorie 3 names Greene waves off concerns of hospital overcrowding: 'We can't live forever'

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:03 am

Imagine being a grown-ass man old enough to have gray hair, but dumb enough to join a fascist gang named 'Proud Boys'. :fp:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:53 pm

They probably couldn't find enough hair dye to look really cool. Supply chain problems and such...

Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.